[REMOVE ADS]

BBC TV Show: Inspector George Gently

Last nights episode of [[the BBC 1 TV show) 'Inspector George Gently' was based around a story line of kids attending a soul club where a black girl ended up dead & racist bigots kicked off, beating local [[Newcastle) blacks up.
    The soundtrack to the show was 100% soul music; loads of NS anthems + Marvin Gaye's "Lets Get It On" [[during a love scene) and "Lean On Me" at the end as people got back in harmony after the racists were seen off.
    Lots of discussion on NS forums as to whether this or that particular track was known in 1968 [[when the episode was set), whether that 45 label was correct or not & other such trivialities.

... BUT ... the music featured was really great [[Frank Wilson's "Do I Love You" + many more) ........ this one for instance got an airing [["Sweet Was The Love") .........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6hUpzo-VBw

Great to hear Levi's voice fronting an 'unknown' track on a mainstream TV show !!!

The show was reviewed by all the top daily British newspapers and one described it thus ....
    INSPECTOR GEORGE GENTLY : A proper crime drama, starring Martin Shaw & set in the 60's, but Peter Flannery's script keeps it from Heartbeat [[another UK TV show) nostalgia -- a great soundtrack too.

If this series gets aired in the US, miss this episode at your peril.
    Last edited by jsmith; 08-27-2012 at 10:38 AM.

I watched it last might and enjoyed the show.
    I knew the "Northern Soul" details would provoke thoughts/discussion/outrage etc .In fact we had a pre show forum chat on the Twisted Wheel forum. I knew that a programme set in 1968 , using a term that was introduced about 1972 , would upset some. But it was well done , in parts.
    The writers and producers went to some trouble to get credible things in, then spoilt it with things like the Frank Wilson 45 , and tunes that were only issued several years ago i.e. Four Tops.
    But I enjoyed it.

I think we must remember that the programme was a BBC 1 prime time police thriller drama & not a documentary about northern soul.

morph