[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Supremes discuss a lot with Mike Douglas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyctsJ-sTPY Diana[[Mike says shes trying to get back in the group lol), Mary's beauty, constant comments about Jean vs Diana, Lynda's singing lead in Hawaii...Jean goes way off on Stoned Love riffing, very nice I Guess I'llMiss the Man.
    Last edited by luke; 08-19-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyctsJ-sTPY Diana[[Mike says shes trying to get back in the group lol), Mary's beauty, constant comments about Jean vs Diana, Lynda's singing lead in Hawaii...Jean goes way off on Stoned Love riffing, very nice I Guess I'llMiss the Man.
    She also forgot her place in the song and Mary covers for her by really selling the background parts......

Great clip.

Great to see that again after so many years. I think Mary wanted to sit next to Mike, but Jean got there first. All three ladies looked good. The Seventies Supremes were on TV almost on a weekly basis on all the nighttime and afternoon variety shows. I wonder why history has been rewritten that there was no promotion for them.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She also forgot her place in the song and Mary covers for her by really selling the background parts......

I believe this episode also covers the Supremes Line of Wigs that they endorsed in 1972 and Meredith Baxter tried one of the wigs on.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Great to see that again after so many years. I think Mary wanted to sit next to Mike, but Jean got there first. All three ladies looked good. The Seventies Supremes were on TV almost on a weekly basis on all the nighttime and afternoon variety shows. I wonder why history has been rewritten that there was no promotion for them.
    History has not been rewritten. First of all, they were NOT on television on a weekly basis. Secondly, there was very little promotion in terms of their records being issued to radio stations and being distributed to retail outlets. It was very difficult at times find their records in the stores. There were times that the only way we knew they had a new release would be if you happen to catch them on television. Other than that, there were no radio spots or mass market advertising for Supremes records. You could call stations to request records to be played back in those days. When it came to the Supremes, it didn't matter because the stations didn't have their latest records anyway. The last song by the Supremes I remember getting decent ,regular airplay was "Floy Joy".

The Supremes Mary Scherrie and Susaye also got good radio station promotion,promoting I'm Gonna Let My Hart do The Walking,that's why it was a top 40s hit,yes Mary Scherrie and Susaye were on TV a lot,
    Please stay positive

I've heard all the Jean Supremes songs on the radio back then and I lived in "Hicksville" [[yes, a pun), including Bad Weather, although the least heard. I may have heard He's My Man once and the radio ad for the album. After that, Let My Heart Do The Walkin' and that was it. I never had a problem finding any of them except I had to order He's My Man but I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    I've heard all the Jean Supremes songs on the radio back then and I lived in "Hicksville" [[yes, a pun), including Bad Weather, although the least heard. I may have heard He's My Man once and the radio ad for the album. After that, Let My Heart Do The Walkin' and that was it. I never had a problem finding any of them except I had to order He's My Man but I got it.
    Here in Los Angeles the singles that I never heard on the radio was, "I Guess I'll Miss The Man" and "Bad Weather", all the others were in pretty good rotation when they were released.

Wow u guys r lucky! I live in NYC area and the last song I remember hearing on the radio was Nathan Jones-barely played. I wonder why such difference in radio play lists.

Wow u guys r lucky! I live in NYC area and the last song I remember hearing on the radio was Nathan Jones-barely played. I wonder why such difference in radio play lists.
    Perhaps people on the West Coast and rural areas requested the song more. Seems like the 70's Supremes got a lot of TV promotion and lots of radio play in many areas across the USA.

Roberta

I was also in the NYC area. Saw them in concert at the Americana Hotel, Plaza Hotel, Copacabana all big time at the time. Heard them on the radio. [[ But I also participated in some kind of campaign to get their records played. I think Carl, the Fan Club President, initiated it. That was cool. About an hour later, we heard the song played. That could never happen now with the tight play lists) If you went to the right record store, they had the Supremes records. I was lucky. I knew which shops had the new stuff a day or two before release. I also remember full page ads for the Supremes in Cash Box, Record World and probably Billboard. which I didn't read at the time. The Supremes were constantly on TV on Mike, Merv,Sonny & Cher, Glenn, Tom, Flip, Soul Train, American Bandstand. That's how I remember it. Others have different memories.

Don't confuse people with facts. I have seen so many clips on Youtube of their many TV appearances, and also pictures of ads promoting their songs, etc. It is there. It cannot be erased. They [[fans) just need to always feel victimized, and are always ready with that same old excuse....."I went to the record store and they didn't have anything", or my favorite LIE, "I called the radio stations and they didn't even have their new release".

I was also in the NYC area. Saw them in concert at the Americana Hotel, Plaza Hotel, Copacabana all big time at the time. Heard them on the radio. [[ But I also participated in some kind of campaign to get their records played. I think Carl, the Fan Club President, initiated it. That was cool. About an hour later, we heard the song played. That could never happen now with the tight play lists) If you went to the right record store, they had the Supremes records. I was lucky. I knew which shops had the new stuff a day or two before release. I also remember full page ads for the Supremes in Cash Box, Record World and probably Billboard. which I didn't read at the time. The Supremes were constantly on TV on Mike, Merv,Sonny & Cher, Glenn, Tom, Flip, Soul Train, American Bandstand. That's how I remember it. Others have different memories.
    I'm also from NYC and remember seeing The [[70s') Supremes a lot on TV during the early '70s and hearing all their hits [[from "Up The Ladder" thru "Bad Weather") on the radio [[WBLS-FM).

Wonder why the difference in playlists. Many stations in the Philly and NYC only played top 20 and oldies-eg WABC, WFIL...I bet WABC played Floy Joy almost never.

The Fan Club President at that time was named Robert and it was ran out of New York, not ILLinois where Carl is based. The public never saw those ads in those industry trade publications. DJ's may have seen them, but they never got the promo records to play at least where I lived. I remember when fans were asked to call the radio stations.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Don't confuse people with facts. I have seen so many clips on Youtube of their many TV appearances, and also pictures of ads promoting their songs, etc. It is there. It cannot be erased. They [[fans) just need to always feel victimized, and are always ready with that same old excuse....."I went to the record store and they didn't have anything", or my favorite LIE, "I called the radio stations and they didn't even have their new release".
    Yes, it always seems like a lot when you bunch the videos altogether on one site like Youtube. I was around back then and they were not on TV as nearly as much as in the sixties. Take 1974 for example. They were on national television once in January on the Sonny & Cher Show and then again in either Oct or Nov singing the National Anthem for a football game on CBS. That was it!

Wonder why the difference in playlists. Many stations in the Philly and NYC only played top 20 and oldies-eg WABC, WFIL...I bet WABC played Floy Joy almost never.
    Only the Soul stations in Detroit and Toledo played "Floy Joy". I may have even heard it on CKLW.

I am one of those chart weirdos...
    Ikept the Music Radio 77 WABC AM weekly countdown/surveys in NY[[which was the biggest, most influential top 40 station in America in the 60's and 70's) through the 60's and 70's, still have them; after "Nathan Jones", it was OVER..
    they played everything up to and including "Nathan.." and nothing thereafter; and in Top 40 circles, if 77WABC didn't add the record, the record was done... when "Touch" turned into a disasterous flop, the group then became un'touch'able at Top 40; the girls in the group wanted shared voices on the records;
    radio programmers and record buyers obviously wanted one singular lead voice on Supremes singles, and when the group said 'those days are over', radio and record buyers obviously said, well, guess what, then The Supremes are over... not everyone is a lead singer..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Ikept the Music Radio 77 WABC AM weekly countdown/surveys in NY[[which was the biggest, most influential top 40 station in America in the 60's and 70's) through the 60's and 70's, still have them; after "Nathan Jones", it was OVER..
    they played everything up to and including "Nathan.." and nothing thereafter; and in Top 40 circles, if 77WABC didn't add the record, the record was done... when "Touch" turned into a disasterous flop, the group then became un'touch'able at Top 40; the girls in the group wanted shared voices on the records;
    radio programmers and record buyers obviously wanted one singular lead voice on Supremes singles, and when the group said 'those days are over', radio and record buyers obviously said, well, guess what, then The Supremes are over... not everyone is a lead singer..
    No it wasn't, that would be CKLW and Rosalie Tromley. They most influential in North America in the 60's and 70's. Google them! They broke the hits for the rest of the country!

That's how it was over where we were. After "Nathan Jones", the Pop stations did not play new Supremes records. "Floy Joy" was played mostly by Soul stations and it was t he last record by them I can remember getting played regularly.

and the consensus /large viewership on a Sunday night via Ed Sullican in the 60's was gone by the early 70's..
    sorry, but appearing on Mike Douglas for housewives in the afternoon, or Soul Train on Saturday mornings didn't carry the national clout that DRATS benefited from with the Sullivan appearances to gigantic evening audiences, getting ready for work or school the next day, and glued to the tv on Sunday nights.

and the consensus /large viewership on a Sunday night via Ed Sullican in the 60's was gone by the early 70's..
    sorry, but appearing on Mike Douglas for housewives in the afternoon, or Soul Train on Saturday mornings didn't carry the national clout that DRATS benefited from with the Sullivan appearances to gigantic evening audiences, getting ready for work or school the next day, and glued to the tv on Sunday nights.
    That was true for every act of that era. Back when the nation only had 3 Networks, large numbers of viewers tuned into the same shows all the time. The Supremes and others received more national exposure than groups that came along after once cable became the norm.

Ask anybody in the record industry...Music Radio 77 WABC and Rick Sklar were IT, Cousin Brucie [[the night time 77 WABC DJ) is STILL to go to guy for that era...
    It's ALWAYS been about NYC, sorry to burst the CKLW bubble[[and I loved that station, heard them coming in at night when the sun went down, out here on Long Island, NY....they played "Needle In A Haystack" which I luv, but it wasn't a national hit...NOW, if WABC had added that record, or if WABC had added "Floy Joy", history as we know it might be very diferent)..

Back in the '60s & early '70s, the DJs had more freedom to choose what songs they played [[or didn't play) on the air so there was a great deal of difference in the playlists from one radio station to another.

Very good point.

Ask anybody in the record industry...Music Radio 77 WABC and Rick Sklar were IT, Cousin Brucie [[the night time 77 WABC DJ) is STILL to go to guy for that era...
    It's ALWAYS been about NYC, sorry to burst the CKLW bubble[[and I loved that station, heard them coming in at night when the sun went down, out here on Long Island, NY....they played "Needle In A Haystack" which I luv, but it wasn't a national hit...NOW, if WABC had added that record, or if WABC had added "Floy Joy", history as we know it might be very diferent)..
    And just like "The Ed Sullivan Show", WABC in NYC carried a lot of weight when it came a pop song became a massive hit or not. Who knows what would've happened if WABC had picked up on the songs The Supremes released between 1972 and 1976 [[when the general public began to lose track of the group).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    And just like "The Ed Sullivan Show", WABC in NYC carried a lot of weight when it came a pop song became a massive hit or not. Who knows what would've happened if WABC had picked up on the songs The Supremes released between 1972 and 1976 [[when the general public began to lose track of the group).
    I think the general public began to not only lose track of the Supremes but IMO they began to lose interest as well. Times had changed by the mid 70's and nothing lasts forever.

Roberta

That was the best damn version of "I Guess I'll Miss The Man" I have heard so far. Just simply fantastic. I do often wonder what Mary would have sounded like singing lead on that song too :-)

Bullshit! I love Cousin Brucie, but CKLW the Big 8 out of Windsor -Detroit was the powerhouse station for the nation in those days. Heck, they are even thinking of putting Rosalie Tromley into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame. Sorry Jimi, but CKLW ruled.......literally and has heard by far more people than WABC.

There is even a documentary out on CKLW .......google it! You may have heard CKLW at night, but got it all day long. We never heard WABC in Michigan, Ohio or Canada.

Loved CKLW. VG ques Aaron. Mary's forte ballads.

I think they got more promotion for High Energy than any of the other 70s albums. I saw that album everywhere you had to go to the cutout bin or the library to find the Jimmy Webb album. I DO remember seeing the Hes My Man album in the store it was not hard to find but in the DC area the title song High Energy got tons of play on WKYS but there were always diehard Supremes fans in this area anyway and baby they called the stations. I remember writing letters to Motown and I knew nothing about a fan club president. My brother who is a musician agrees that High Energy had tons of albums on the store.

There is even a documentary out on CKLW .......google it! You may have heard CKLW at night, but got it all day long. We never heard WABC in Michigan, Ohio or Canada.
    I grew up in NYC with WABC & WMCA as pop alternative stations to WWRL [R&B]. When we spent vacations in South Carolina, both WABC & WMCA could be heard after the sun went down. The distance was about 650 miles. CKLW was heard in NYC a few times, but with the great radio stations in NY, why would one stray?

After heading west in 1970, Wolfman Jack's pirate radio station could be heard in the Bay Area beaming in the evening from about 600 miles away off the coast of Baja California. Nashville had WLS [?] which beamed up to NY the South and near Mid-West.

Back on topic, the Supremes last stand in the Bay Area was with the Floy Joy album. KDIA played most of the songs. Between 1973 and 1975, the Supremes didn't release any viably commercial material matching the public's changing tastes. The Jimmy Webb album was not a standard bearer by any means. By the time they began recording again with the 1975 Supremes album, the ladies had lost their following. I was in Atlanta by this time and only realized the album was out by finding it at Turtle's because the radio stations weren't playing the Supremes.

Now that's true about "High Energy". They played the title cut late nights on WKLR 99.9 FM and I bought the album at Montgomery Wards. You don't any more mainstream than Wards in those days. The 1975 album was difficult to find. The Jimmy Webb album was advertised in the local paper along with a bunch of albums on sale,but nothing particular to that album. I remember Clark's Record Shop on Dorr Street in Toledo did have this big styrofoam cutout display of the "Touch" album.

Do you know they even picked up signals for CKLW in Scotland?! There was a video up on Youtube a while back that played the static broadcast they got all the way over to Scotland. CKLW was a monster! It was local to us and everyone from Detroit to Toronto could it up with no problem. It was not until the internet age did I learn that people all over including New York and even down South could get the Big 8 at night. We listened to it all during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    I grew up in NYC with WABC & WMCA as pop alternative stations to WWRL [R&B]. When we spent vacations in South Carolina, both WABC & WMCA could be heard after the sun went down. The distance was about 650 miles. CKLW was heard in NYC a few times, but with the great radio stations in NY, why would one stray?

After heading west in 1970, Wolfman Jack's pirate radio station could be heard in the Bay Area beaming in the evening from about 600 miles away off the coast of Baja California. Nashville had WLS [?] which beamed up to NY the South and near Mid-West.

Back on topic, the Supremes last stand in the Bay Area was with the Floy Joy album. KDIA played most of the songs. Between 1973 and 1975, the Supremes didn't release any viably commercial material matching the public's changing tastes. The Jimmy Webb album was not a standard bearer by any means. By the time they began recording again with the 1975 Supremes album, the ladies had lost their following. I was in Atlanta by this time and only realized the album was out by finding it at Turtle's because the radio stations weren't playing the Supremes.
    I heard "He's My Man" 2 or 3 times on the radio in Detroit. They played it twice to my knowledge on WKLR out of Toledo.

Nothing from the Jimmy Webb album made the radio in Detroit except "I'll Guess I'll Miss the Man" may have gotten a few spins on AC or Easy Listening stations, but we didn't listen to those stations at that time.

I love Hes My Man-should have been a smash. NEVER heard it on any radio station.

History has not been rewritten. First of all, they were NOT on television on a weekly basis. Secondly, there was very little promotion in terms of their records being issued to radio stations and being distributed to retail outlets. It was very difficult at times find their records in the stores. There were times that the only way we knew they had a new release would be if you happen to catch them on television. Other than that, there were no radio spots or mass market advertising for Supremes records. You could call stations to request records to be played back in those days. When it came to the Supremes, it didn't matter because the stations didn't have their latest records anyway. The last song by the Supremes I remember getting decent ,regular airplay was "Floy Joy".

The Fan Club President at that time was named Robert and it was ran out of New York, not ILLinois where Carl is based. The public never saw those ads in those industry trade publications. DJ's may have seen them, but they never got the promo records to play at least where I lived. I remember when fans were asked to call the radio stations.

Yes, it always seems like a lot when you bunch the videos altogether on one site like Youtube. I was around back then and they were not on TV as nearly as much as in the sixties. Take 1974 for example. They were on national television once in January on the Sonny & Cher Show and then again in either Oct or Nov singing the National Anthem for a football game on CBS. That was it!

Only the Soul stations in Detroit and Toledo played "Floy Joy". I may have even heard it on CKLW.

That's how it was over where we were. After "Nathan Jones", the Pop stations did not play new Supremes records. "Floy Joy" was played mostly by Soul stations and it was t he last record by them I can remember getting played regularly.

I heard "He's My Man" 2 or 3 times on the radio in Detroit. They played it twice to my knowledge on WKLR out of Toledo.

Nothing from the Jimmy Webb album made the radio in Detroit except "I'll Guess I'll Miss the Man" may have gotten a few spins on AC or Easy Listening stations, but we didn't listen to those stations at that time.
    So from the evidence Marv presents, one can easily see that the 70's Supremes no longer carried the clout they did in the 60's. In fact in regards to the general population and their knowledge/lack of knowledge of the 70's Supremes, one might say that the 70's Supremes were 'unsung'.

exactly..which is why we're starting a JEAN TERRELL FOR UNSUNG Facebook page shortly..

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    So from the evidence Marv presents, one can easily see that the 70's Supremes no longer carried the clout they did in the 60's. In fact in regards to the general population and their knowledge/lack of knowledge of the 70's Supremes, one might say that the 70's Supremes were 'unsung'.
    Evidence? I am just sharing my personal experience, I did not realize that we were conducting a trial here.

The 70's Supremes "unsung"? Not hardly! I guess you are the only person left that does not know that the Supremes hit song "Up The Ladder to the Roof" is probably the most performed song in the history of Motown! School kids and College students' musical groups all over the country perform "Up the Ladder to the Roof" so regularly that it is now considered a standard! I guess you are just out of the loop on this one.

exactly..which is why we're starting a JEAN TERRELL FOR UNSUNG Facebook page shortly..
    Start it! Jean Terrell is not going on "Unsung". She would have lie and pretend to be someone else!

Oh and by the way. There is no such thing as "the 70's Supremes" especially when it comes to the "general population". There were never any albums or singles released by a group called "The 70's Supremes". There were never any introductions on television or in concert as "The 70's Supremes". There was no print media at the time for a group called "The 70's Supremes". Only a handful of people would be familiar with that term, because everyone else on Earth knew of or have heard of "The Supremes"!

stepping away from the ongoing discussion on air play and promotion.

that was the best dang live version by the supremes i have seen. granted i have not seen many. however, i love it when singers change up the song ... god knows they must get tired having to do replications of their studio versions! also loved how loose and charismatic our back up ladies were. they both looked like they were having a blast during "stoned love"! mary seems so fresh and alive ... i think the drats model seemed to constrictive for our backup gals. great post! thx!

Oh and by the way. There is no such thing as "the 70's Supremes" especially when it comes to the "general population". There were never any albums or singles released by a group called "The 70's Supremes". There were never any introductions on television or in concert as "The 70's Supremes". There was no print media at the time for a group called "The 70's Supremes". Only a handful of people would be familiar with that term, because everyone else on Earth knew of or have heard of "The Supremes"!
    When did you talk to everyone else on earth.. and when did you find the time or resources to do so?

The fact that you wisely claim that only a handful of people would be familiar with the term "the 70's Supremes" but only have heard of the Supremes adds greater strength to the observations that the 70's Supremes [[Jean, Mary, Cindy; Jean, Mary, Lynda; Scherrie, Mary Cindy; Mary, Scherrie, Susaye) are not household names and therefore fit the definition of 'unsung'.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 08-21-2012 at 09:34 PM.

The 70's Supremes "unsung"? Not hardly! I guess you are the only person left that does not know that the Supremes hit song "Up The Ladder to the Roof" is probably the most performed song in the history of Motown! School kids and College students' musical groups all over the country perform "Up the Ladder to the Roof" so regularly that it is now considered a standard! I guess you are just out of the loop on this one.
    If 'Up The Ladder To The Roof ' is PROBABLY the most performed song in the history of Motown, I'm curious which one you think actually IS the most performed.
    I note that your assessment is made as regards school kids and college students. I wonder if they are always aware what the names of the the members of the Motown group who recorded it are. I wouldn't be at all surprised if many of them think that Diana Ross was the lead singer of this song. It might also be possible that many are familiar with the version by The Nylons or Bette Midler and may not even realize that they are performing a Supremes' song.
    On a sidenote, I checked All Music Guide and was very surprised at what I saw.
    Ten bullets list "Up The Ladder To The Roof" as being sung by Diana Ross & The Supremes or Diana Ross/Supremes; one bullet merely lists Diana Ross; only 5 correctly list it as by the Supremes- but even there it is not certifiable if those posters know that this is the first post-Diana grouping of the Supremes. After all 'The Supremes' were officially called 'The Supremes' before they were advertised as 'The Supremes featuring Diana Ross' then officially re-christened 'Diana Ross & The Supremes'. Your post certainly lends greater credence to the Post Diana Ross Supremes as being unsung.
    The issue of probability and statistics is an interesting one isn't it, Marv?

When did you talk to everyone else on earth.. and when did you find the time or resources to do so?
    Carole, come back when you have something relevant to add to the discussion.

If 'Up The Ladder To The Roof ' is PROBABLY the most performed song in the history of Motown, I'm curious which one you think actually IS the most performed.
    I note that your assessment is made as regards school kids and college students. I wonder if they are always aware what the names of the the members of the Motown group who recorded it are. I wouldn't be at all surprised if many of them think that Diana Ross was the lead singer of this song. It might also be possible that many are familiar with the version by The Nylons or Bette Midler and may not even realize that they are performing a Supremes' song.
    On a sidenote, I checked All Music Guide and was very surprised at what I saw.
    Ten bullets list "Up The Ladder To The Roof" as being sung by Diana Ross & The Supremes or Diana Ross/Supremes; one bullet merely lists Diana Ross; only 5 correctly list it as by the Supremes- but even there it is not certifiable if those posters know that this is the first post-Diana grouping of the Supremes. After all 'The Supremes' were officially called 'The Supremes' before they were advertised as 'The Supremes featuring Diana Ross' then officially re-christened 'Diana Ross & The Supremes'. Your post certainly lends greater credence to the Post Diana Ross Supremes as being unsung.
    The issue of probability and statistics is an interesting one isn't it, Marv?
    What is All Music Guide? All the kids in the Youtube videos know all the words to "Up the Ladder to the Roof". I don't know any Nylons and I am sure that those kids that comment about it being a Supremes record on Youtube, know that the Supremes were a singing group. Anyone that thinks that record was by Diana Ross is just plain dumb or Diane's solo career had no impact on them whatsoever.
    Last edited by marv2; 08-21-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Anyone that thinks that record was by Diana Ross is just plain dumb or Diane's solo career had no impact on them whatsoever.
    Marv,
    It's good to see that you agree with me... people don't know the post-Diana Ross Supremes and are ignorant of information as regards them , thus verifying further that the post-Diana [[70's) Supremes are unsung.

[QUOTE=marv2;120510]All the kids in the Youtube videos know all the words to "Up the Ladder to the Roof".
    [QUOTE=marv2] Yes, it always seems like a lot when you bunch the videos altogether on one site like Youtube.