[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Motown: A Primer [[good article)

From the AV Club website, which is geared toward hipster 20 and 30 somethings:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/a-gui...-motown,83896/

I'm not the biggest Diana Ross fan, but found the discussion of her as unusually harsh. I suspect that this is coming from some Monday morning quarter backs who weren't there at the time. This is not a bad article, but the insertion of personal opinion irked me.

Not to be rude, but how many of us don't already know this very basic Motown history of the artists yet?

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Not to be rude, but how many of us don't already know this very basic Motown history of the artists yet?
    I didn’t post this article to give members a introductory tutorial. What interest me about the article were the opinions of the author as to what constitutes an essential introduction to Motown. Also, I like that he touched on music released by the label after the early 70’s And most interesting are the user comments following the article. At least on Thursday when I read this, there were very few comments about the Supremes, which is a big focus here, and more on Marvin Gaye, The Temptations and Smokey Robinson, along with the usual attempts at sick humor which often happens on the comments page at The AV Club.

Interesting Smark. It's always educational to see how history is rewritten. In the final analysis, I guess it's good that they're doing it at all.

I thought it was a nice enough articles.