[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rare Earth / Peter Rivera / Motown Museum

I came across this; thought it was worth sharing. It's a letter from Peter Rivera [[the original lead singer of Rare Earth, to the Motown Museum):

To the Motown Museum [[Hitsville)

To Whom It May Concern:

This is not an easy letter to write but I feel compelled to send it. On a recent visit to Detroit, I had the opportunity to see Hitsville on W. Grand Blvd. What made it special was that my son was with me. I was telling my family of the Museum for years. He’s enjoyed my 35 year musical career and has been proud of his father as my other children and relatives are. I walked in and paid the fee to tour the museum and met the staff. They were all very gracious to me and we were shaking hands and enjoying meeting each other. They knew all my songs and were happy to meet me in person. As we toured I was telling the kids how we would record and have fun with Marvin, Stevie, Gladys and other Motown greats. I watched my sons face as I told him of my history. There were lots of smiles.

As we toured Hitsville, I know he and I were looking forward to seeing an acknowledgement of my involvement with Motown. We soon realized that there was no such thing. No pictures, no album covers, absolutely no proof that I ever existed. I was stunned. I was embarrassed. I shrugged it off and explained that maybe it was an oversight. I hope he understood but I’m pretty sure he was hurt. I know he felt bad about it. Worst of all he felt embarrassed for me. It was very uncomfortable.

I realize that Motown was a family company. That’s what the slogan was during the early years. I was very blessed to have had the experience of being [[in my mind) part of the Motown “Family”, and to suddenly realize that we [[Rare Earth) didn’t matter enough to even be mentioned was very hurtful.

We sold millions of records and made millions of dollars for the company.
    We were the “white group” that made it with Motown. I was the “blue eyed soul brother” that hung with David Ruffin, Marvin etc.

To this day I am giving autographs to fans who ask me why I’m never included in any of the company celebrations. I don’t know what to say to them. I want to know: HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ?

What would you say to your kids if you were me? My records are still in movies, major commercials and are still in rotation on radio.

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY????????

Life will go on and then someday it will be over. Family will continue and some of us will be fortunate enough to have carved out a legacy and left a mark in musical history. It would make me feel good to know that children and relatives of Rare Earth members [[some of which are deceased) would be able to reminisce with pride about their fathers and have a good feeling that these fathers mattered enough to be mentioned and acknowledged as part of a tremendous time know as the “Motown Era”.

Sincerely
    Peter Rivera
    Original Lead Singer/Drummer of “RARE EARTH” 69-75

http://www.peterivera.com/
    Last edited by marybrewster; 08-16-2012 at 09:52 AM.