[REMOVE ADS]

All things soul train-on dvd!

Soul Train, the Hippest Trip in America has finally stopped at my mailbox. Nine DVD's rolling across the tracks of your mind into the exciting world of Soul. Happiness is just round the bend. I guess this pretty much wraps things up. Centric ain't about to air anymore episodes, so this, plus the ones recorded on the local stations represents all that is out there.

Now excuse while a ride the train!

Ride On brother, RIDE ON!!!

Every time I pop in a DVD, it is truly a revelation. For example, just seeing Freda Payne dancing with the Soul Train gang is worth the whole trip. Bill Withers performance of "Use Me" and "Lean On Me" is almost inspiring. And the early performance of Teddy Pendergrass singing with Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes [["If You Don't Know Me By Now") really got to me. And I ain't even half way done.

The Sly Stone appearance has some really weird edits. It's a good thing I have the whole show on VHS from Japan.

pshark Guest
    Btw Tim, I notice that Ohio Players were on in 72. Have you seen that? And was Junie there?
    I have yet to see the Westbound era OP performance.

I'm quite sure the ST appearance from '72 had Junie with the band. It's very had to locate any footage of the Ohio Players w/ Junie.

Is their a track listing for the DVD's? Every web site only give you a partial listing.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Is their a track listing for the DVD's? Every web site only give you a partial listing.
    Maybe there's one on the Time-Life website.

Quote Originally Posted by pshark View Post
    Btw Tim, I notice that Ohio Players were on in 72. Have you seen that? And was Junie there?
    I have yet to see the Westbound era OP performance.

Neither have I. Would love to see it though.

If you scroll down and look at the thread skooldem1 posted "Soul Train - The First Five Years," he provided a link that has a listing of the Soul Train performances that's worth taking a look at.

I have a direct link on my computer that takes me to Wikipedia and the Soul Train page.

I wish Soul Train still came on the Centric channel. I really enjoyed that. I guess I'll have to purchase the DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by sonit View Post
    I wish Soul Train still came on the Centric channel. I really enjoyed that. I guess I'll have to purchase the DVDs.
    It was a better situation when the local stations and WGN was broadcasting the show. The way that Centric took a knife to the shows they aired and edited them even more was simply blasphemous. The shows on DVD are edited as well, but we all expected that to happen, especially in light of the recent release of the Midnight Special on DVD.

pshark Guest
    Its back on Centric. Nothing that wasn't already shown though. Comcast UnDemand did have ST uncut w/the originally aired commercials, and no station ID logo anywhere on screen. Its not like that anymore. Its been edited down to 30-40 mins.
    Man I really really really want that 72 OP episode. That and the never aired Quazar. They're probably lost

Just watching Smarty Pants by First Choice. Ah, the memories. Those outfits and wigs! And thats just the dancers. Ah, it WAS a fab time. So great we can see these classic performances again....Paulo XXX

Quote Originally Posted by pshark View Post
    Its back on Centric. Nothing that wasn't already shown though. Comcast UnDemand did have ST uncut w/the originally aired commercials, and no station ID logo anywhere on screen. Its not like that anymore. Its been edited down to 30-40 mins.
    Man I really really really want that 72 OP episode. That and the never aired Quazar. They're probably lost
    Not only that, they're showing the ones that were already broadcast on the local stations. That could be nice considering that there were some that I missed.

I tend to get the impression that these DVD's were put together right around the time of the passing of Teddy Pendergrass. There might be more Teddy than MJ on these discs.

I've just started to watch and enjoy the first DVD of the 3 disc set........and was rather amused to see what appears to be an upright vacuum cleaner left at the back of the set in the Barry White edition! If you look closely, depending on the camera scan, you'll see it at the back in the shadows in the right hand side gap between the drummer and the orchestra. Has anyone else noticed it, or am I imaginging it?! This is not so say I'm not enjoing the music or paying attention to the music! Barry's 'You're The First The Last, My Everything' isn't one of my favourite's [[partially because it's been overplayed), but the Soul Train live version is a stormer!

I was a little too preoccupied with all of the musicians on stage. Wasn't looking out for vacuum cleaners. LOL!

I've just been checking out Soul Train on Bounce TV. Once again my mother has better cable than I do. Not only have they've been showing episodes that haven't been repeated elsewhere, but they're not even repeating them within the same day. I almost don't want to leave the house. It's ridiculous. I just hope that they repeat the episode with Bootsy's Rubber Band that they showed during Funk week. That would make my year.