[REMOVE ADS]

R.I.P Chicago Jazz Great, Von Freeman

Word is flying all over town about the passing of one of our local giants.
    Saxman, Von Freeman has passed away at age 88. Radio vet, Richard Steele released the news a couple of hours ago on NPR and The Tribune has published the obit here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...ends%2522%257D

I had the pleasure and honor of playing with Von from time to time at The New Apartment Lounge on the city's south side and at various clubs around town.

I also had the embarrassment of having Von throw me off the stage once, early on in my study of jazz, for playing the wrong version of a song he wanted to play [[I still blame the bass player!!). Years later we were playing at a club and he gave me a wonderful compliment about my time and swing. I reminded him that he'd once thrown me off the stage and he replied to me, "well, you got better!"

That was pure Von, I'll never forget either incident and will never forget him or the sound of his horn. The Chicago Jazz Festival kicks off in just a few weeks. His presence will be terribly missed.

Play on, Von.

Just in:

SERVICES FOR VON FREEMAN

A memorial service for Von Freeman will be held Tuesday evening, August 28, 6 PM at the Christ Universal Temple, 11901 S. Ashland, Chicago IL.

Chi, I'm in New York but I've definitely felt the loss of Von. He will surely be missed by many
    in thejazz community. I've been offline for a while so I couldn't read that finely written article until today. I'm reading a book on the AACM and experimental jazz and Von is mentioned and discussed throughout it. I'm very impressed that you had the experience
    of playing with him, even if you had a cloudy day...RIP, Von, you've done well...

R.I.P. Von.

My condolences to his family, loved ones & fans!

That was a great story ChiD! There's nothing like being around true legends.