[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha & big break records

Big Break Records has been loving Aretha Franklin releasing several of her Arista Recordings: Jump To It and Get It Right, produced by Luther Vandross and Aretha, her 1980 debut for Clive Davis' label that reunited her with Arif Mardin and the Original Sweet Inspirations. Of the three albums, I've been spinning Aretha constantly because it was a bit more diverse and featured Sister Ree backed by some of LA's star musicians including members of Toto & James Jamerson Sr. Next up is Love All the Hurt Away.

Any latest news on Aretha's deal with Universal to distribute her Aretha Records?

I didn't know ARETHA [[1980) had been re-released by BBR as well. I'll have to pick it up. I had stopped buying Aretha albums after SPARKLE, because I didn't like the singles that I heard from them. But after hearing Aretha sing a few tracks from this album on tv, and seeing that she had a new label, I thought I'd take a chance. I'm glad I did, because I think it is one of her best.

The other BBR re-releases [[JUMP TO IT and GET IT RIGHT) were done very well, IMO,and I like that they included single and 12-inch versions of some tracks. I gather ARETHA [[1980) will include the single versions of UNITED TOGETHER and WHAT A FOOL BELIEVES. Was there a 12-inch for the latter?

The BBR ARETHA disc does include single mixes of United Together, What A Fool Beleieves and a 12-inch mix of Can't Turn You Loose. There are four bonus tracks overall.

Obviously I'm biased, but "Jump To It" has one of my favorite Aretha / Four Tops tunes in "I Wanna Make It Up To You." What a great arrangement, and possibly my favorite "fakeout fadeout" ever!