[REMOVE ADS]

The Supreme Divas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtbYhNDLB_M of Detroit; what can one say--quite the special guest!!

These tribute style groups never end.

Did anyone catch the credits at the end?

LeVonne King as Diana Ross
    Kathleen Smith as Florence Henderson
    Trina Ross as Mary Wilson

smark21 Guest
    They really need the charisma and showmanship of Shantal Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    These tribute style groups never end.
    Which is further proof that the Supremes are not unsung. They are very well known and quite popular.

Diana is well known; the others are unsung.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Which is further proof that the Supremes are not unsung. They are very well known and quite popular.
    The Supreme Divas website mentions that they also perform as a Marvelettes tribute group, so the Marvelettes musn't have really ever been unsung.... using the above logic....

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Diana is well known; the others are unsung.
    That is not true. We went over that earlier this year when several of us polled those under 40. The name, the group "The Supremes" is very well known along with their music.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtbYhNDLB_M of Detroit; what can one say--quite the special guest!!
    The video has been removed by its user, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    The Supreme Divas website mentions that they also perform as a Marvelettes tribute group, so the Marvelettes musn't have really ever been unsung.... using the above logic....
    No, you left out a very important fact and that being that there are MANY Supremes tribute acts out there as opposed to a handful of fake Marvelettes acts. Put any three woman onstage singing together and the Supremes come to mind for a lot of people.

The video has been removed. Shame. I like a good laugh...

Ive never heard of an unsung group being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Actually the group name is more well known than its lead singer.

Try this for a real "Stoned Love" experience if you dare ?????

http://youtu.be/pvFVEDaLVcc

More exiting stuff can be found at http://soundcloud.com/jay-soulix/set...by-jay-soulix/

Everytime this subject comes up I have to laugh thinking about that scene in Sisters Act II. Whoopie was explaining to her class that she loves all kinds of music but her favorite music is that of the girl groups. I think she mentioned the Supremes and a few other groups. Then one of the students asked "Who are the Supremes". Whoopie had this look on her face like what? She then repeated...."Who are the Supremes"? She then said you never heard of Diana Ross? The student then says "oh yeah, Diana Ross". LMAO. Whoopie then goes on to explain that they were the premier girl group.

Diana Ross is a senior citizen. It is to be expected that alot of the younger generation does not know who she is. I mean this is the same generation that says Jennifer Lopez, Janet Jackson and Mary J Blige are old and need to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Ive never heard of an unsung group being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Actually the group name is more well known than its lead singer.
    Exactly! Jobeterob just loves to argue. The Supremes were inducted 24 years ago in 1988. As far as I know, Diana Ross solo artist has not even been nominated in all those years. Not trying to slam Diane, just stating a fact.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-31-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Everytime this subject comes up I have to laugh thinking about that scene in Sisters Act II. Whoopie was explaining to her class that she loves all kinds of music but her favorite music is that of the girl groups. I think she mentioned the Supremes and a few other groups. Then one of the students asked "Who are the Supremes". Whoopie had this look on her face like what? She then repeated...."Who are the Supremes"? She then said you never heard of Diana Ross? The student then says "oh yeah, Diana Ross". LMAO. Whoopie then goes on to explain that they were the premier girl group.

Diana Ross is a senior citizen. It is to be expected that alot of the younger generation does not know who she is. I mean this is the same generation that says Jennifer Lopez, Janet Jackson and Mary J Blige are old and need to retire.
    Yet Whoopi, in real life has stated publicly that she always wanted to emulate Mary Wilson! The Supremes made an impact as a group, not just because of a lead singer in the group.

It gets even worse with the generation that was around when the Supremes were hitting. The Baby Boom generation fell in love with the group. Anything Diane did afterwards was pretty much viewed as just an extention of the group. Had she started her career out as a solo, things may have been different. Just about anytime there is an article mentioning her today, the Supremes are mentioned in some form.

I mean this is the same generation that says Jennifer Lopez, Janet Jackson and Mary J Blige are old and need to retire.

Dear God....where's my bedpan?

Here is the video clip in question:

For my money, this is still the best tribute act I've seen in a good long while:

For my money, this is still the best tribute act I've seen in a good long while:

http://www.gigsalad.com/thevoicesofthesupremes Yep....but, there's so darn many choices these days!

And, don't you love how they're behind the 'autograph' table! Wow....sign me a pic!

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    And, don't you love how they're behind the 'autograph' table! Wow....sign me a pic!
    But yet Jobeterob likes to pretend that no one knows who the Supremes were and that they are all but forgotten! LOL!!!

I doubt these tribute acts are singing many 70's Supremes songs but am aware I could be wrong...

Did anyone catch the credits at the end?

LeVonne King as Diana Ross
    Kathleen Smith as Florence Henderson
    Trina Ross as Mary Wilson
    Surely they mean Florence Ballard. Florence Henderson was the mom in the Brady Bunch. She was never a supreme was she unless Ms. Henderson, Diane Ross and Mary Wilson did a concert together that I am not aware of. Could someone please clarify this?

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Where was this picture taken? It looks like an impersonator's convention with a would-be Jack Nicholson and would-be George W. Bush also poised to meet and greet. And how come the only persons near the 'Supremes' are the camera & mike men? How much you want to bet that they also videoed the other 'artists'. Is that a Marilyn Monroe wanna-be behind 'Bush'? The majority of attendees seem to be milling around at other tables.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    I doubt these tribute acts are singing many 70's Supremes songs but am aware I could be wrong...
    No what's happening is you have new artists, hip hop artists sampling Jean Terrell's "No Limit" for days.......

Steve Harvey's "Hoodie Awards" uses Jean Terrell's "How Can You Live Without Love" as it's theme music for their radio spots.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Mary Wilson is singing them in her concerts and what could be better than that?

Jean Terrell, Mary Wilson & Lynda Lawrence sang with Florence Henderson in a closing medley involving all the guest stars on a Kate Smith special. That's the closest connection by which I could link the Supremes to Florence Henderson.

Mary Wilson is singing them in her concerts and what could be better than that?
    Jean, Mary, Cindy or Jean, Mary, Lynda or Scherrie, Mary, Cindy or Mary, Scherrie, Susaye or all those listed singing them in a true 70's Supremes Tribute.. that's what!

With no disrespect intended, I just have to say that some things just make no sense whatsoever.

This is one of those things.

My final observation is that I simply can't understand why so many people invest so much time in imitating someone else, than they invest in being themselves. Why would anyone older than the age of 12, especially an adult ever be satisfied with attempting to be the SECOND or NEXT whomever, than they would becoming the FIRST THEM? It seems to me that doing so is tantamount to an admission that one has pretty much accepted that they don't quite have what it takes to make it in their own right & can only do so by trading in on memories & the music which was created by others DECADES ago.

That's already bad enough & it makes me cringe is that some of these imitators actually strut around as though they were actual members of the group whom they're imitating back during their glory days. But what really pisses me off is when these kind of folks are so deluded that they lie to people & tell them that they were members of the group & talk all of that "thank you for making this a number 1 hit for us", as though they were really there.

Just once, I'd like to see folks like this actually sing songs that THEY originated, I mean, give it the old college try & all of that. But this jock-riding, bra-strap clinging & attempting to walk, talk & chew like the people whom they imitate is simply sickening, downright tiresome & some of the errr..TALENT [[?!?!?!?) would be downright laughable, if it weren't so damn sad, pathetic & despicable.

That's something that I just don't understand. Rather than jocking someone else [[and displaying one serious bout of self-deception & a touch of a lack of ones identity in the process), I'd rather be the imitated than the imitator.

And compared to most of these Supremes impersonators, give me Darlee, Crystal & Re Re any day of the week. They're just doing them & aren't trying to fool a soul.

I respect that far more than some of what the 10's of others that most of us have heard of have been doing.

Jean Terrell, Mary Wilson & Lynda Lawrence sang with Florence Henderson in a closing medley involving all the guest stars on a Kate Smith special. That's the closest connection by which I could link the Supremes to Florence Henderson.
    Of that could be where the confusion is. Thank you for the explanation Carole.

My best personal regards,

Roberta

Jean, Mary, Cindy or Jean, Mary, Lynda or Scherrie, Mary, Cindy or Mary, Scherrie, Susaye or all those listed singing them in a true 70's Supremes Tribute.. that's what!
    Some of those woman are retired aren't they? I am talking reality today. Now if were talking about dreams and wishes, that's different.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    And compared to most of these Supremes impersonators, give me Darlee, Crystal & Re Re any day of the week. They're just doing them & aren't trying to fool a soul.

I respect that far more than some of what the 10's of others that most of us have heard of have been doing.
    I agree Juice! Those girls were entertaining at one of cabarets around Detroit and they seemed to be having a good time. I know the crowd enjoyed them. They are not out trying to make some sort of connection to the original group.

I wonder if we'll ever see a O'Jays tribute group?