[REMOVE ADS]

Tony Martin, Debonair Pop-Music Troubadour, Dies at 98

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  21.1 KB
    \I think it is ironic and interesting that a Tony Martin thread is placed here on The Motown Forum , rather than the generic SDF, given that his linked biography mentions that he recorded only for Decca Records in his early career, Mercury Records in the middle of his career, and RCA for the remainder of his career, and Motown isn't even mentioned as an afterthought. I'll bet the total of Motown completists who owned his Motown releases [[most of whom bought their Tony Martin Motown records in thrift shops and junk stores, cut-out bargain bins of record shops, and Woolworth's 10¢ closeout sales) amounted to more than the actual amount of retail sales generated by Martin's Motown releases!

smark21 Guest
    Perhaps the last of his era, that is the late 1930's/early 40's. He was still performing just a couple of years ago.

Berry Gordy Jr. LUVED this kind of stuff...obviously, steering The Supremes in that direction,as soon as he could, ;the whole supperclub thing was clearly a thrill and a half to BG..

TMG 537 was a hard one!!

Took me a while but I got it eventually........shocked upon first hearing it though.
    Last edited by snakepit; 07-31-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Coincidentally, the review of "Talkin' to Your Picture" by Motown Junkies is imminent.

Two surprises for me. I did not realize that he was still alive, and I had no knowledge that he was ever on Motown, especially in its infancy. After reading this thread, I googled and discovered these singles which are included on the Complete Motown Singles

Hmmmm! New rule on the board this morning. Now we are only allowed to add one video to each post. I wanted to add two. So here is the other one. Rules are fine and they are made to be broken

Last edited by milven; 07-31-2012 at 08:28 AM.

I'll be humming Ask Any Guy all day today since it obviously leads to life span longevity....

R.I.P Tony may your entertainment legacy live on forever.....

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    I'll be humming Ask Any Guy all day today since it obviously leads to life span longevity....

R.I.P Tony may your entertainment legacy live on forever.....
    On December 1, 1964, Motown Record Corporation issued an immediate press release, Tony Martin Sings on Motown. The release states:

Tony Martin, veteran singer and motion picture actor, has signed an exclusive recording contract with Detroit's Motown Recording Corporation. His first recording for Motown, "Talkin' To Your Picture," is meeting with favorable response from the nation's disc jockeys. Tony Martin and his wife Cyd Charisse will open December 8 in "First Edition '65'. at Detroit's Fisher Theatre.

FYI: This full length press release is included in the outstanding book Hype&Soul, the superb book by Alan Abrams. I strongly urge that if you do not have a copy, you attempt to obtain a copy. It is a factual book of the historic events that evolved from Motown. The book is well worth the investment. You will learn things you never knew about the Motown Record Corporation.