[REMOVE ADS]

Mariah Carey Will Be an AMERICAN IDOL Judge

Fox Entertainment president announced that Mariah Carey will be one of the American Idol judges next season.

He also confirmed that Jennifer Lopez is exiting.

Mariah Carey is an 'Idol' judge

Mariah Carey named as new ‘Idol’ judge

By Amber Dowling

2012-07-23

Fox announces Mariah Carey as the new 'American Idol' judge next season

After weeks of speculation, Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly made it official on Monday afternoon at the 2012 Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour: Mariah Carey will join American Idol as the newest judge.

In a bit of a publicity stunt, the Reilly called Carey on from the stage on his cell phone, where she greeted reporters via his mic.

“I’m so excited,” she raved. “I can’t wait to get started in a couple of months.”

According to Reilly, resident Idol judge Randy Jackson, who is also Carey’s co-manager, was “very instrumental in doing this deal.”

The president also confirmed that along with Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez is officially out.

“I think I can say it’s 100 per cent that Jennifer won’t be back on the show,” he said. It is still unclear whether or not Jackson will return for the next instalment when it returns in January.

The speculation about Carey joining a singing reality competition began last year, when The X Factor creator Simon Cowell entertained the idea of bringing her on board. At the time, Carey was pregnant with twins and production didn’t work out.

Carey is one of the best-selling female artists of all time. She has five Grammy Awards under her belt and, according to Fox, more No. 1 songs than any solo artist in history.

More news regarding the Idol changes are expecting in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The president also confirmed that along with Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez is officially out.

“I think I can say it’s 100 per cent that Jennifer won’t be back on the show,” he said.
    Ha ! That's a little sarcastic. On some show, Jennifer said that she is 99% sure that she wouldn't be back. It was like she was negotiating in the media. He brought the percentage up to 100 per cent and left no doubt that she will not be back

I never see the show anymore but I've read several times that Jennifer Lopez was too nice to be on that show.

AI has probably seen its heyday and without some dramatic makeover, nothing is going to halt the downhill slide.

They need something/somebody totally new and out of the run of the mill tunnel ~ Mariah Carey won't do it. Aretha Franklin won't do it unless she were to come in there and act like a total old bag in the way Simon sometimes did............well, maybe she could be the new gimmick. The trouble is that 70 year old women with a chip on their shoulder have a certain look and a certain style...........and it just won't bring back 10 million viewers.

what a novel idea for the show!
    finally
    someone who can actually sing
    judging others on their ability to do likewise .

Why not Yoko? Oh no...

smark21 Guest
    Mariah’s singing style has become a bit passé and she’s never been a great performer. I suspect she was picked in hopes of bringing the crazy to the panel that’s been lacking since Paula left.

And she gets $15 to $20 million! No wonder Aretha Franklin was in line. I'm sure all the Jackson boys will volunteer too ~ all of them for one hell of a lot less than that.