[REMOVE ADS]

Travel suggestions please....Memphis or Detroit?

A friend and I are planning a trip for mid to late September so I thought I would ask for input from you guys. We will either make it a long weekend or maybe a Monday through Friday type thing. We will fly into whatever city we choose and then rent a car to get around the surrounding area.

Our two choices at this time are Detroit or Memphis, so my first question to you guys would be which one would you say would be the most fun to visit and offer the most entertainment value?

As for some other questions:

If we chose Detroit, obviously the Motown Museum would be a must see. But are there other attractions in Detroit itself that should not be missed or would our time be better spent using our rental car to travel the rest of the state and use Detroit mainly as our airport connection?

If we chose Memphis, what are the major features other than the usual things you hear about such as Beale Street, river cruises, and Graceland? Would there maybe be enough to do in Memphis itself that a rental car would not even be necessary?

Speaking of Beale Street, would it be better to go there on a weekend? I just had this picture that maybe it would be less lively on a Monday or Tuesday night and that maybe we wouldn't get the full experience on a weeknight.

I think that covers our main questions. Any input will be appreciated since we have never been to either place. Thanks!

With no disrepect to Detroit, I personally favour Memphis. There is so much to do. In addition to the places/attractions you mention, the Stax Museum is a must [[just out of town, but a bus goes there if you haven't got a car). There's so much in the Museum that, if you study everything, you could spend nearly a day in there! Then there's the wonderful Civil Rights Museum in the old Lorraine Motel - again you could spend 3-4 hours there. Then there's the Memphis Rock n Soul Museum on Beale Street [[and the Gibson Guitar Factory!). To my mind you could spend 4-5 days in Memphis. Beale Street is great at any time, but very busy on Friday & Saturday night [[The Blues City Cafe does great ribs!). And there's always live free music on the 'bandstand' in Handy Park. But after all that, The Motown Museum in Detroit is an essential too!! Enjoy wherever you go!

Thanks for your input. We too feel as if Memphis would have more variety, but we didn't want to sell Detroit short if it also has other worthwhile attractions. Chances are we will make both trips eventually but are just trying to determine which one to see first.

Well if your trip were scheduled for Labor Day Weekend, you would be able to catch the Detroit Jazz Festival downtown. It is always excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Thanks for your input. We too feel as if Memphis would have more variety, but we didn't want to sell Detroit short if it also has other worthwhile attractions. Chances are we will make both trips eventually but are just trying to determine which one to see first.
    David, I was thinking of you because your girl DENISE LASALLE- is one of the headline acts at the annual TRI STATE BLUES FEST, which takes place on Saturday, August 18th at the Landers Center in Desoto County, which is right outside MEMPHIS. I had to tell you.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-04-2012 at 09:05 AM.

If you go to Memphis, I would say to go to The Civil Rights Museum at the Hotel Lorraine before you see Stax, Graceland, Sun, or any other attraction. And allow yourself a few hours so that you can take in everything. See the history of what blacks had to endure.

After our trip there, I think that it should be a mandatory trip for EVERY American.

If we take the Memphis trip, or I should say WHEN we take it, since I am sure we will do both trips eventually, I was already thinking how great it would be to see Denise or any number of my other favorites in that same genre. Surely at least one of them would be in town while I was there.

Still no firm plans for September but we might be leaning toward doing Detroit first and saving Memphis for the next time. There is a very real possibility that seeing the Marvelettes' feature on Unsung motivated us in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    If we take the Memphis trip, or I should say WHEN we take it, since I am sure we will do both trips eventually, I was already thinking how great it would be to see Denise or any number of my other favorites in that same genre. Surely at least one of them would be in town while I was there.

Still no firm plans for September but we might be leaning toward doing Detroit first and saving Memphis for the next time. There is a very real possibility that seeing the Marvelettes' feature on Unsung motivated us in that direction.
    Good choice! Go Detroit! Yes Michigan! hehehehehehe........

Memphis is beautiful in the late fall. You really appreciate the weather.

Memphis has Beale Street, Sun Studios, the Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel, Graceland and the real cute duck parade at the Peabody hotel. You can also drive for an hour and visit Nutbush which is Tina Turner birthplace. You have to eat at Corkys BBQ and Gus's Fried Chicken restaurant if its still open.

Detroit has the Motown Museum, the Henry Ford Museum the Riverfront and Belle Isle Park. If you go to Detroit don't miss dinner at Fishbones, a hot dog atLafayette Coney Island and lunch or dinner at Slows BBQ.

Which ever city you pick may God watch over you and bless you with a great vacation.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta