--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LATEST MUSIC News

Motown legend Bob Babbitt dead

D.I.S.H.
Legendary Funk Brother Bob Babbitt has passed away from brain cancer

July 17, 2012

Legendary Funk Brothers bassist Bob Babbitt has died of brain cancer in Nashville. He was 74 years old. Detroit News reports that Babbitt died at 7:15 am local time on July 17.

If his name doesn't automatically ring any bells, surely the thumping bass that would become Babbitt's calling card has put the funk in your trunk at one time or another. As a member of the uncredited backing band at Motown studios from 1966 to 1972, Babbitt laid down bass tracks to anchor numerous hits, including Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours," Edwin Starr's "War," Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' "The Tears of a Clown" and "Just My Imagination [[Running Away With Me)" by The Temptations.

Babbitt was born Robert Kreinar in Pittsburgh in 1937. He got his start playing in the clubs of his home town before finally cutting his first top ten hit 'Flamingo Express' with the Royaltones in 1961. He soon caught the ear of Del Shannon and became Shannon's tour mate before finally landing in Detroit.

Known mainly among other musicians, Babbitt finally got some public recognition after the release of the 2002 film about the Funk Brothers, Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

Babbitt's son Joe Kreinar told the Detroit News, 'He was a tough man - strong. He could take pain. Right now I miss him deeply, and it's only been a few hours.'

[[Image: Momentum Pictures)