[REMOVE ADS]

Happy 50th Anniversary to the Rolling Stones!

Since no one else is going to do it, I thought I would. This week the 50th Anniversary of the Rolling Stones was commemorated in the media around the World. It is sometimes hard to believe that they have been around that long and still touring today. Happy Anniversary the STONES!!!

I didn't see this on the news. A very young [[low-20s) lady came to work one day wearing a Beatles shirt, so I asked if she was a Stones fan as well. Her jaw dropped because she didn't listen to either band, which she thought were old as dirt [["you like those bands?!", she seemed to be asking), she just liked the shirt.

Mick and the boys actually changed the game by being the first true punks of mainstream rock. The fact that their music was fantastic while reflecting a sensibility that was contrary to "proper" society and outside what the world of radio was conditioned to hearing is what made them special. They were arguably the most influential rock band of all, not because of other bands cribbing their sound, but because other bands came out that cribbed their attitudes. Some liked the Beatles; some liked the Stones. If I had to pick between them, I'd listen to my favorite ten Stones songs before I'd play the top ten Beatles hits. Congratulations to the Rolling Stones.

I do prefer the music of the Rolling Stones over that of the Beatles even though I heard the Beatles first. The Stones have been a true part of the soundtrack of my life for decades.

From this......

To that.....!

Here is a very rare shot of Rolling Stones and Patti LaBelle & the Bluebelles:

I'm going to pay my respects by listening to their singles collection this afternoon. It's been a while since i've played their music.

I much prefer their 60s music over the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I'm going to pay my respects by listening to their singles collection this afternoon. It's been a while since i've played their music.

I much prefer their 60s music over the rest.
    That sounds great. For me, it's a mixed bag as I had favorites they recorded in the 70's and 80's, along with my favorite 60's Stones recordings. I use to sing "Miss You"[[the whole song!) around campus with my buddies as a freshman! LOL!

I prefer the Stones for attitude, and I agree that they influenced rock that way. As for songs, The Beatles win. No contest for me. 100 years from now people will be covering Beatles songs. I doubt if many Stones songs get covered. I love them both as bands for totally different reasons. No individual member of either group would go in my top 100 best of anything, but as a whole, they were both great in their own ways.

I've actually had to cherry pick through their discography. I've always respected them as a rock band, but it's also clear that they haven't dropped anything meaningful since "Exile On Main Street". Also gotta respect for surviving in the game this long. But I will take the Beatles if I had to pick between the two.

Like them or not, I have always maintained that when they finally do hang it up, I will have gotten old. Here's to another ten years guys.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That sounds great. For me, it's a mixed bag as I had favorites they recorded in the 70's and 80's, along with my favorite 60's Stones recordings. I use to sing "Miss You"[[the whole song!) around campus with my buddies as a freshman! LOL!
    I prefer the 60s output for overall enjoyment, but there are some real gems afterward. "Rocks Off!" is one of the best, IMO, as are "Fingerprint File" and "Mixed Emotions".

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    I've actually had to cherry pick through their discography. I've always respected them as a rock band, but it's also clear that they haven't dropped anything meaningful since "Exile On Main Street". Also gotta respect for surviving in the game this long. But I will take the Beatles if I had to pick between the two.
    And, I am one of the rare people who don't like "Some Girls". I happen to think it's a terrible album.

They've been very inconsistent since the '60s, in my opinion. With that said, they still were coming up with some of my favorite songs in the '80s, especially "Start Me Up" and "Waiting For A Friend". I get chills listening to the sax solo at the end of "Waiting For A Friend", which is one of my favorite solos in a rock record. I guess it's no coincidence that the song was actually recorded a decade before it was finally put on an album.

Ok, some of my random Rolling Stones favorites:

Get Off of My Cloud
    Satisfaction
    Angie
    Emotional Resue
    Miss You
    Start Me Up
    As Time Goes By
    Under My Thumb
    Paint it Black
    Brown Sugar
    Waiting For a Friend
    Harlem Shuffle
    19th Nervous Breakdown
    Let's Spend the Night Together

And, I am one of the rare people who don't like "Some Girls". I happen to think it's a terrible album.
    I like "Shattered". I like the fact that the Beatles called it quits before they started to suck. The Stones haven't been so lucky. I recently saw a bootleg video of the Stones peforming at one of the big arenas here in NJ. It looked and sounded like walking heroin. However, Mick's last appearance on the Grammys was pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ok, some of my random Rolling Stones favorites:

Get Off of My Cloud
    Satisfaction
    Angie
    Emotional Resue
    Miss You
    Start Me Up
    As Time Goes By
    Under My Thumb
    Paint it Black
    Brown Sugar
    Waiting For a Friend
    Harlem Shuffle
    19th Nervous Breakdown
    Let's Spend the Night Together
    Give me these:

Under My Thumb
    It's All Over Now
    Jumping Jack Flash
    Shattered
    Hot Stuff
    Satisfaction

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I didn't see this on the news. A very young [[low-20s) lady came to work one day wearing a Beatles shirt, so I asked if she was a Stones fan as well. Her jaw dropped because she didn't listen to either band, which she thought were old as dirt [["you like those bands?!", she seemed to be asking), she just liked the shirt.

Mick and the boys actually changed the game by being the first true punks of mainstream rock. The fact that their music was fantastic while reflecting a sensibility that was contrary to "proper" society and outside what the world of radio was conditioned to hearing is what made them special. They were arguably the most influential rock band of all, not because of other bands cribbing their sound, but because other bands came out that cribbed their attitudes. Some liked the Beatles; some liked the Stones. If I had to pick between them, I'd listen to my favorite ten Stones songs before I'd play the top ten Beatles hits. Congratulations to the Rolling Stones.
    I can't believe you had that same occurence. A co-worker of mine used to wear a Jimi Hendrix t-shirt, yet had never heard of him or his music. Unreal.

I'd to add to my list: "Beast of Burden"! I know if I keep thinking about all the great music these cats put out since I was a young kid, I'll have to edit my posts here several more times! LOL!

They're refered to as the greatest Rock and Roll band of all time by many and though I wouldn't say that, they have
    done a lot of things I've enjoyed and a few things that I thought were just stupid...I did like Mick's Sugarfoot Bonner
    interpretations on Miss You and Fool To Cry, always thought it would have been funny had The Ohio Players covered
    either of those songs. I dug the mess outta She's So Cold and as a jazz lover was pleasantly surprised by Sonny Rollins
    soloing on Waiting On A Friend. Mick of course, could be nasty and rude at times and I'm sure those old enough to remember know about the controversies but he himself has to admit he's been lucky to have been around long enough
    to get his flowers while he's still above ground...

The Rolling Stones appeared on the very first episode of "Swingin' Time" [[it was actually called "Swingin' Time Summertime") on CKLW Windsor-Detroit TV 9 in the Summer of 1965. Of course we did not know who they were and what they would become, but they have been apart of my life's musical experience for as long as I can remember. Rock on! LOL!!!

I like the fact that the Beatles called it quits before they started to suck.
    The Beatles didn't "call it quits". John wanted out, but Paul sued for the dissolution of the band because he was quite angry about Phil Spector adding things to his song "The Long And Winding Road", and the fact that the other three were being represented by Allen Klein.

The band never intended to permanently break up, even though that's what John kept saying, and Paul never wanted it. years later, even John admitted that he never wanted the band to break up.

I fully believe that if the Beatles had stayed together, George would have been the one to permanently leave. By the early 70s, he absolutely despised Paul. But, you know, they still all were friends and actually hung out together after the "divorce".
    Last edited by soulster; 07-16-2012 at 09:41 AM.

The Beatles didn't "call it quits". John wanted out, but Paul sued for the dissolution of the band because he was quite angry about Phil Spector adding things to his song "The Long And Winding Road", and the fact that the other three were being represented by Allen Klein.

The band never intended to permanently break up, even though that's what John kept saying, and Paul never wanted it. years later, even John admitted that he never wanted the band to break up.

I fully believe that if the Beatles had stayed together, George would have been the one to permanently leave. By the early 70s, he absolutely despised Paul. But, you know, they still all were friends and actually hung out together after the "divorce".
    Oh who's kidding who? In the end, they all called it day. We can nit pick about particulars, but in the end, they all walked away. And to reiterate the main point, they did it before they started to suck.

Oh who's kidding who? In the end, they all called it day. We can nit pick about particulars, but in the end, they all walked away. And to reiterate the main point, they did it before they started to suck.
    No, they didn't. Paul ended it legally. Two or three of them still played together afterward. If John had lived, they probably would have gotten back together at some point, even though it would have been very contentious between Paul and George.

No, they didn't. Paul ended it legally. Two or three of them still played together afterward. If John had lived, they probably would have gotten back together at some point, even though it would have been very contentious between Paul and George.
    They may have guested on each others records, but it was totally over by that point. Again, the greater point is that they shut it down before they started to suck, which couldn't be said of most of most of the contemporaries. Any suggestion that they would have gotten back together had Lennon lived is unprovable speculation at best.

Taking one from Column A: Shattered....and from Column B: She's So Cold

Moonlight Mile....

and adding that several people close to me felt that Sympathy for the Devil should have been my theme song.