[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Toys

The Toys

They are one of my favorite girl groups of all time, but I know very little about them. After years of playing "The Toys Sing..." to death, I discovered that they had numerous single releases that never made it onto an album until an obscure CD release called "All of Our Toys." I heard that they formed in Jamaica, NY in 1961 and broke-up in 1968. I know their last release was in 1966, so before they broke up, what did they do for two years?

Does anyone have any stories about seeing them live, or about their popularity, or has anyone ever met any of these ladies? In my opinion, their music is some of the best-written, best-produced, and best-sung of the '60s, but there is so little about them out there. I'm sure one of you guys has some information out there.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    They are one of my favorite girl groups of all time, but I know very little about them. After years of playing "The Toys Sing..." to death, I discovered that they had numerous single releases that never made it onto an album until an obscure CD release called "All of Our Toys." I heard that they formed in Jamaica, NY in 1961 and broke-up in 1968. I know their last release was in 1966, so before they broke up, what did they do for two years?

Does anyone have any stories about seeing them live, or about their popularity, or has anyone ever met any of these ladies? In my opinion, their music is some of the best-written, best-produced, and best-sung of the '60s, but there is so little about them out there. I'm sure one of you guys has some information out there.
    http://www.barbarastoys.net/

You might enjoy Barbara's web site. I emailed her a couple of years ago and she was kind enough to email me back. I, too, love "All My Toys" and had no idea all those other recordings were out there. You might try and email Barbara and get your answer. Good luck

They were a hit with their first record, A Lover's Concerto, which sounded an awful lot like a Supremes record. In fact,
    many people thought it was the Supremes initially. Their second record, Attack, was pretty good too and another
    Supremes sounding record. They performed it in some second-rate beach movie, I think titled It's A Bikini World.
    However, each record did less and less business on the charts and, in my opinion, they didn't keep up the quality.
    Somehow, they got booked at the Copa in NYC [[following the Supremes). But they only had four days to
    rehearse and put together an act. Apparently, they bombed!!!
    Too bad!

Smile

Don't give a red monkey turd if they didn't blow up as well as the Supremes. One of my
    all time favorite girl groups. Didn't know that All Our Toys CD even existed. Will be buying it online
    as soon as I get home tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Don't give a red monkey turd if they didn't blow up as well as the Supremes. One of my
    all time favorite girl groups. Didn't know that All Our Toys CD even existed. Will be buying it online
    as soon as I get home tonight...
    I think you'll like this one, Splanky!

Is that even a legitimate release? For some reason, it just reminds me of one of those bootleg Marginal releases.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Is that even a legitimate release? For some reason, it just reminds me of one of those bootleg Marginal releases.
    According to the comments on Amazon it contains 15 songs not included on The Toys Sing so I don't
    care if it is a bootleg...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    According to the comments on Amazon it contains 15 songs not included on The Toys Sing so I don't
    care if it is a bootleg...
    Haha, very true. I could care less either, but I'm wondering about the quality of the CD. Either way, some of these tracks are pure gold. Like "Sealed with A Kiss." One of my favorites!

For anyone interested, I uploaded this one recently. I can't quite remember what year this was released, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHMDa...&feature=g-upl

Sealed With A Kiss was issued as a single, that I do remember.

This is one I really love .. later a Hot 100 hit [[#56) for ? & THE MYSTERIONS of all people ...

THE TOYS - "Can't Get Enough Of You Baby" ..

Roger

honest man Guest
    I have just ordered the cd thanks for the nod thought i had them all wonderful news. cheers

Barbara Harris and I have emailed too. Very nice person. Her most recent solo cd got a rave review from Goldmine. Occasionally she and June and Barbara will re-unite or else Barbabra tours with other toys.

Can't Get Enough Of You Baby was much more recently done by Smashing Pumpkins too.

Can't tell you a darn thing about the group, except that "May My Heart Be Cast Into Stone" is an absolute fave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNdXYfyPbwA

TOYS - All Of Our Toys
    The Toys invite you to play these great tracks. Includes 'A Lovers Concerto', 'Ciao Baby', 'Sealed With A Kiss' and many others. 30 tracks. What Ever Happened To Our Love
    The Fight's Not Over
    Hey Baby
    A Lover's Concerto
    This Night
    Attack
    See How They Run
    Can't Get Enough Of Your Baby
    Deserted
    Hallelujah
    I Got A Man
    What's Wrong With Me Baby
    Yesterday
    Baby's Gone
    On Back Street
    May My Heart Be Cast to Stone
    Silver Spoon
    Baby Toys
    Happy Birthday Broken Heart
    Ciao Baby
    I Got Carried Away
    My Love Sonata
    I Close My Eyes
    You Got It Baby
    You've Got To Give Her Love
    Sealed With A Kiss
    I Got My Heart Set on You
    Let Me Down Easy
    Try to Get You Out Of My Heart
    See How They Run [[Mono single edit)
    PZ 71242: $16.99
    http://www.doowopshoobop.com/girl.html#pz71242

If you live in Brooklyn, there's a good chance that you may run into Barbara Harris at an event. Barbara supports a lot of promoters who have events here in Brooklyn & can often be seen in attendance at one with Margaret Ross of The Cookies & her husband. You may also see Barbara & Margaret performing with a young lady named Sandra Taylor at gigs here in Brooklyn or the city.

Barbara still sounds great, looks good & as Blueskies has attested, Barbara is one hell of a nice woman. I do need to contact her though because her website hasn't been updated in quite some time now & she's definitely been active since 2005! I'll also add that to be around Barbar is to defy the idea that it's been 47 years since she entered our consciousness & harder to believe that she's approaching 70 in 3 short years. She'll be 67 in August & I know women 1/3 her age who don't have her energy.

If you're in the city, you can often find June Montiero in attendance at a show. For example, if Martha Reeves or one of the other ladies are performing in the city, then there's a very good chance that you may find June there clapping & singing along in the audience.

The last time that I saw Barbara Parritt a couple of years ago, she was singing with Joe Rivers as Johnnie & Joe. I'm not sure what she's doing these days, but her niece DyvaNaye might have more info about what she's doing these days.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 07-02-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Is there any particular reason they don't work as the Toys or that at least one of them doesn't have a Toys group?
    I would think just on their one big record, A Lover's Concerto, they could do well.

Randy,

Here's a link to an interview that Barbara gave awhile back. Scroll down to the last paragraph, as it contains the answer to your question as Barbara sees it.

http://www.sundazed.com/scene/exclus...exclusive.html

A funny [[not) thing happened to me on the way to getting the All Of Our Toys cd...After I got to my home computer
    and went on Amazon's site I found that all the reasonably priced used cds for this release had disappeared and what
    was left was folks asking for at bottom 63 bucks for a copy! I'm going to give this a few days and see what I can work
    out. For a lot of you guys this may not even be an issue but some of us are on tighter budgets. I was frigging livid, to say the least. I'm guessing it is indeed a bootleg at this point but so was my Absolute Complete [[though not, in reality)
    Cookies and the sound quality was fine....Arrrrggghhhhhh.....

Splanky, try this site.....only $16.95

Thanks, I read it! i would still think bookings would be more lucrative for "The Toys" rather than "Johnnie & Joe", but
    who am I to say.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    Can't tell you a darn thing about the group, except that "May My Heart Be Cast Into Stone" is an absolute fave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNdXYfyPbwA
    First heard this track on Pandora Radio, it is indeed a killer track!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post

Wow, that's an awesome website. I could spend my entire paycheck X 2 on some of those collections.

@blueskies...
    Hey, Thanks for that link. That's better...
    I have to agree with RossHolloway, I saw so much stuff there I'd like I dang near knocked over my monitor...Oh, if I could hit the lottery.......

Splanky and Ross, Glad you liked the web site. I've been buying from those folks for years. Always reasonable prices, too. You might also like this site.
    http://www.crystalballrecords.com/gi....html?limit=30 Enjoy!
    Last edited by blueskies; 07-04-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Randy, I believe that was Smashmouth and not Smashing Pumpkins that remade "Can't Get Enough of You, Baby".

Best,

Mark

My copy arrived in the UK today. Sadly most of the tracks won't play or upload onto iTunes. Anyone else having this problem? Such a disappointment.

I think you are right, Mark! Someone also did it in the 60s on the Cameo-Parkway label, but don't recall right off
    the name of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_whippet View Post
    My copy arrived in the UK today. Sadly most of the tracks won't play or upload onto iTunes. Anyone else having this problem? Such a disappointment.
    Mine appears to be ok. If you want to send me your email address through the private message system, I'll send MP3's of what any you need.

According to my Dad, the Toys were booked to play a Detroit nightclub IN the Sixties and they made an appearance on the local Swingin' Time TV show where June MONTIERO revealed a dry sense of humor much like [[ Supreme) Florence Ballard's when she told how the Toys played the Copa where there was no stage, so the performers were literally on the floor close to the audience. The Toys were rushing to go on one night and June hadn't tightened her wig and WHEN her group hit the floor, the wig fell off and landed on a customer's table.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-04-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Here's recent footage of Barbara Harris from a PBS special with Barbara Parritt on the left...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nme_Gujngyc

I never saw them perform but I had dinner with Barbara Harris and a group of people at a diner here on Long Island. Nice lady.

Wow...really interesting catalog. They obviously have some legitimate releases, such as the Ace "Tiny Topsy/Lula Reed" CD and the Shirelles 2-fers, but many appear to be bootlegs. Still, for the rarity of the material, I'll probably buy a few.

They have an Annie Laurie comp, she was a King artist who sang "It Hurts to Be in Love." I had no idea there was a CD available on her. I think this one may be a legit release, as the label [[Master Classics) has their own web site.
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-14-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Wow...really interesting catalog. They obviously have some legitimate releases, such as the Ace "Tiny Topsy/Lula Reed" CD and the Shirelles 2-fers, but many appear to be bootlegs. Still, for the rarity of the material, I'll probably buy a few.

They have an Annie Laurie comp, she was a King artist who sang "It Hurts to Be in Love." I had no idea there was a CD available on her. I think this one may be a legit release, as the label [[Master Classics) has their own web site.
    http://www.crystalballrecords.com/gi....html?limit=30
    Kenneth, you might also like this site.

http://www.crystalballrecords.com/gi....html?limit=30
    Kenneth, you might also like this site.
    Yes...another treasure trove. I thank you but my wallet doesn't...!