[REMOVE ADS]

Sly Stone's UNSUNG Episode

You beat me to it. Pretty good episode although they left out some stuff

I'll be glad when TV-One puts this series on DVD. I'd buy the whole set the day it comes out.

Seen last night: re-reminded me, his songs goes deeper than jamming and feeling happy, [["Dance To The Music", "Hot Fun In the Summertime"), often holds the spirit of universal harmony, or the seeking of it [["Everyday People", "Stand!"). Re-invigorated my appreciation of my 1970 Sly & the Family Stone Greatest Hits record.

Shame about the drugs though - from the sounds of the show, 1969-on, gradually took the group's liability in the eyes of the public, willingness to perform, to willingness to record as a group, to ultimately Sly's own working and residential securities, doing it all travelling in his trailer, to probably his own voice, was quite a strain to my ears to clearly hear half the things he said.

No Larry, no Rose, and no Freddy? Somehow I'm not surprised. Maybe they didn't gloss over vital parts of the story, but large gaps are missing from the story. Unfortunately, Unsung has done this with a number of performers they've profiled.

This one deserved a 2 hour special! There is much more to the Sly Story than this but its good that he is being recognized on TVOne. I am appreciative of what they did. Good to see Cynthia she looks great for her age. Sly looks like he has a good memory but you can tell that drugs have ruined his looks.

I agree there is too much story to cover in a one hour [[including commercials) episode. My own memories of Sly & the Family Stone was of them cancelling at least two, maybe three appearances at the Zodiac theater on East Main Street in Columbus, Ohio. I was just a boy back then, but I remember hearing the complaints on the radio that Sly & and the Family Stone would not be appearing.

It's too bad that he fell as hard as he did. Listening to "Family Affair" for the first time in years revealed influences on later soul, funk, and even jazz singers. I agree with the associate who said that listening to the song one day and it was an upbeaty song but a sad day when listened to at another time. He was a musical chameleon.

I'm glad somebody finally did something on Sly & The Family Stone. Maybe not the whole story but I enjoyed it regardless. Loved that group from 1968 - 1971 at their peak years. I did know Sly had a drug problem but not much else. Sad to see him like that and I could barely make out what he was saying. His voice was almost a whisper compared to the deep voice he once had. They seemed way ahead of their time back then, nothing like them. I wish them all well.