Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
"Toby" by the O'Jays is one of the saddest songs, for me. What's sadder than losing your high school sweetheart [[or dog, depending on whose buying the drinks and playing the CD)? "Oh Girl" by the Chi-Lites is another one and it might be matched by "Have You Seen Her". Roger Troutman produced an LP by Dick Smith that had the saddest and most soulful version of "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" that I can imagine. And since this is the Soulful Detroit forum, I'm going bring up "Ooh Baby Baby" by Smokey.
Finally, I'm not saying that "Boys In Blue" by View From the Hill was a song about a group of British lads who were drafted to go away to war and some of them didn't make it back. It was well-written, excellently produced, and sung with such raw emotion that I may have misted up a little when I listened to it. I am not saying that it made me cry, though, because I'm not going to admit to it.

The O'Jays made a cover of "Toby"? The same "Toby" by The Ch-lites?! In fact you made me remember that one sad song I likes a lot is "Let It All Out" [[specially the verses that Bill Powell sang with his unique falsetto).And there's some more Chi-lites and Dramatic's tunes that make me feel mellow: "The Sound Of Lonely", "The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face", "I Never Feel So Good", "Love Comes In All Sizes"; "She's A Rainmaker", "Just Shopin'", "Tune Up";... And Isaac Haye's tracks vocal and instrumental, from "Elie's Love Theme" or "St. Thomas Square" to "It's Heaven To Me" or his live versions of Bill Whiters "Ain't No Sunshine" on Wattstax.

And [[uffff... how I have forget before!), MFSB "Bitter Sweet"!