[REMOVE ADS]

Jimmy Ruffin - Sunrise CD

I always liked the album Sunrise by Jimmy Ruffin, and it came to mind again recently following the sad passing of Robin Gibb having been produced by him with Bruce Weaver. I was interested to find out that the CD had been remastered? and released in Estonia!

Managed to get a new sealed copy and the seller was willing to reduce the cost he was looking for making it cheaper than most current released CD's. It also arrived in a few days of posting!

Enjoy your find. I remember sitting in a bar mid-nineties hearing Hold On To My Love and scratching my head that JR had released Motown material in the UK that I had not heard. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this was a post-Motown recording. Luckily, I stumbled upon a sealed vinyl copy that has been turned into a CD-r.

nahob, I just love the two ballads "Searchin" which is Jimmy using his vocal in such an emotional way, you feel the words and I also like "Songbird"

Been listening to this album on YouTube... it's wonderful

Does anyone have the CD? Is it good? How is the sound quality?

Also, is it an 'unofficial' release?

I much prefer his 'Love Is All You Need' LP which sold quite well here in the UK in the mid 70's [[on Polydor) and contains more 60's style tracks as well as 70's Philly style stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    I much prefer his 'Love Is All You Need' LP which sold quite well here in the UK in the mid 70's [[on Polydor) and contains more 60's style tracks as well as 70's Philly style stuff.
    Hey thanks for the reply, jsmith. I love Jimmy's stuff from that time too... and "Tell Me What You Want" on Chess...! I also LOVE "Fallin' In Love With You" which is from 1977 I believe... fantastic Philly-Disco!

honest man Guest
    Tell me what you want,one of Jimmy's best.love it takes me right back to 70s from ronco Black Explosion LP How i loved that album.cheers Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Been listening to this album on YouTube... it's wonderful

Does anyone have the CD? Is it good? How is the sound quality?

Also, is it an 'unofficial' release?
    I went and ordered it anyway so I'll be able to answer my own questions in a few days!

The big hit from the album... just fantastic...

This is great...

A lovely ballad...

Groovy mid-tempo excellence...

Great finds Tom, Love Hold On

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    "Hold On to My Love" was a great record.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Hey thanks Paul. Yes, I luuurrrvve "Hold On [[To My Love)"... something of a classic...

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Groovy mid-tempo excellence...

Thanks for posting all these!

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Thanks for posting all these!
    Hey, you're welcome, Luciano!

Have a few more...

Both "Two People" and "Searchin'"... great ballads
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 06-10-2017 at 06:46 AM.

Great and rather feisty uptempo track...

Jimmy's excellent follow-up to "Hold On [[To My Love)"...

I bought this album upon it's original release but had all but forgotten about it. Very remiss of me. Thank you guys for reminding me of a very fine underrated album. The Bee Gees are much more famous for their production work with female artists, but they did a fine job with Jimmy and of course Kenny Rodgers.

The CD came today and it is great! Looks like a proper CD just without any liner notes. Sound quality seems good although I haven't listened to it properly under the ol' headphones.

I’ll never forget seeing Jimmy in Northampton as part ofthe Ian Levine Motorcity tour in the 1990’s [[exact year lost in the mists) withKim Weston, Syreeta, Elgins. Jimmy talked a lot about his Mississippi roots andhow his heritage encompassed Blues, Soul, Country and Western all of which heproceeded to sing while climbing up a wall at the side of the stage to theupper levels. I’d loved Jimmy since his magical 60’s UK hits [[which still senda tingle down my spine) but to hear all his different “voices” that nightshocked and blew me away. He also had an infectious sense of humour to whit hisfriendly derision of Witherspoon & Riser’s intention to give Brokenheartedto Bobby Smith/Spinners + Diana’s desire to “steal” it as he smilinglydisclosed in a BBC documentary. Such an underrated talent “limited” by hishits. God rest his blessed soul.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    I’ll never forget seeing Jimmy in Northampton as part ofthe Ian Levine Motorcity tour in the 1990’s [[exact year lost in the mists) withKim Weston, Syreeta, Elgins. Jimmy talked a lot about his Mississippi roots andhow his heritage encompassed Blues, Soul, Country and Western all of which heproceeded to sing while climbing up a wall at the side of the stage to theupper levels. I’d loved Jimmy since his magical 60’s UK hits [[which still senda tingle down my spine) but to hear all his different “voices” that nightshocked and blew me away. He also had an infectious sense of humour to whit hisfriendly derision of Witherspoon & Riser’s intention to give Brokenheartedto Bobby Smith/Spinners + Diana’s desire to “steal” it as he smilinglydisclosed in a BBC documentary. Such an underrated talent “limited” by hishits. God rest his blessed soul.
    Ah, how great, thanks for sharing, Tony! I agree... Jimmy had some hits but is still underrated IMO.

Can I ask, what do you mean when you say 1990 was the year "lost in the mists"?

EDIT: Ignore my stooopid question, I know what you mean now, Tony! [[It was in the 1990s -- the exact year is "lost in the mists" i.e. unknown...!)
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 06-14-2017 at 06:13 AM.

honest man Guest
    Loved Jimmy he was one of Motown's best,and he was one of the first Motown ARTIST that got me into This music,he was scoring big in UK 1970 -71 .loved his songs It's Wonderful to be.. still one of my all time memories, yes Jimmy you are truly remembered here,God bless him