[REMOVE ADS]

Thelma houston: Thelma houston [[mowest) album - cd expanded edition

Great news folks and that is David Nathan's Soul Music Records label is issuing an expanded CD edition of Thelma's terrific debut Motown album, that was originally released on the MoWest label, in October. This expanded CD edition will include the 15 tracks which were originally included across both the US and UK editions plus the four tracks that made up Thelma's two other MoWest singles that didn't make it to either edition of the original album. The two singles are:-

MW5008F - I Want To Go Back There Again/Pick Of The Week
    MW5050F - Piano Man/I'm Just A Part Of Yesterday

So, there you have it folks a great forthcoming release which I'm sure will be greeted with much excitement and anticipation on this forum. A great big thank you to David and his team for getting this one reissued as it's long overdue and I'm hoping it meets with excellent sales as I'm sure there's more like this to come!

Ivor

Fantastic! I was just ruminating on another thread that a Houston set was long overdue! Will get this one as soon as it's released.

Me too! Looking forward to it. Thanks for the info.

Thanks Ivor! I'm l-o-o-k-i-n-g forward to it, too....

Even though I have "I Wanna Go Back There Again" on comp CD, it will be great to have the entire MoWest album with the original singles. Even "Pick of the Week" is a lovely track. Yay!

I can't see it on Amazon yet. Hopefully someone will remind this thread when it is.

Is David Nathan putting out any other Motown releases?

I heard the Reel Music is also reissuing this same title.

Thatīs great news I think on her debut album Thelma had the Sisters Love in the backround, isnīt it ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrlonleyheart View Post
    Thatīs great news I think on her debut album Thelma had the Sisters Love in the backround, isnīt it ?
    That probably explains why the Sisters Love did a cover of Thelma's "I ain't that easy to lose"

Now available on Amazon for preorder!

Thelma and Sisters Love--now thats some singin.

Now available - mine arrived in the post today!

RossHolloway Guest
    Calvin - please provide a review when you can!

Many thanks to David Nathan and all involved for releasing this!

Remarkably, the US and UK versions of the original LP differed considerably - the US LP had ten tracks, while the UK LP had nine of those ten plus five others not on the US LP. All of the tracks from both LPs are on the cd, as well as the A and B sides of two singles [[see first post of this thread), giving us about 63 minutes of music.

I don't have this on vinyl, so this was really a first listen for me. I really like it and I'll be giving it another listen over the weekend. "I Ain't Going Nowhere", written by Gloria Jones and Pam Sawyer, is a standout for me, as are the three tracks by Patti Dahlstrom: "What If", "I'm Letting Go" [[co-written with Severin Browne), and "And I Never Did". "And I Thought You Loved Me" is a faster tempo version of the song previously recorded but not released by The Supremes as part of the "Promises Kept" sessions.

Let's hope that soulmusic.com keeps the Motown releases coming!

I don't know this album from the original release, but boy, what I have been missing! I remember seeing it around when I was a kid, but I never picked it up. On first listen, my favorite is probably Thelma's version of "There Is A God", a song from Valerie Simpson's solo album "Exposed". But there is not a bad track in the whole batch of tunes!

Yes I agree, not a bad track here and a terrific cd overall.

"No One's Gonna Be A Fool Forever" is another good one. It appeared later in 1973 on Last Time I Saw Him, by Diana Ross. I'm not gonna say which one I like better and get something started here, LOL! [[Just kidding, I like both versions!)
    Last edited by calvin; 11-01-2012 at 11:18 PM.

I hope some of her other Motown albums get reissued by SoulMusic.Com. I just liked some of Thelma Houston. It had that light, California sound of early 1970s Motown. I hear acoustic guitars instead of Eddie, Joe and Robert. Not funky enough for my taste.