[REMOVE ADS]

Smile The Sounds[[?) of the Supremes - EXPOSED

I can't think who could possibly have contacted the ASA [[Advertising Standards Agency) and friends at the BBC about the false bio this group has been putting out for many years. Anyway, switched on the laptop this morning and whadaya know... for the first time EVER the truth has been put in print. Take a look for yourselves.
    http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/entert...n_in_camberley
    A Supremely Happy Steve Weaver.

You beat me to the punch. I, too, was surprised to see this bio and ad. Finally, reality sets in. I have no problem now that they are not billing themselves as Supremes, or stating that Kaaren was a Supreme. There are loads of tribute acts out there. SOS is just one of them. I think some outraged Supremes fans may deserve a little credit for this change

With all due respect; have you heard this broads sing?

These three American women possess a wealth of experience in recording, television, cabaret, theatre and musicals, and deliver a fantastic vocal blend on Motown classics, standards and contemporary songs, blended with stylish choreography and unrivalled glamour.

There's NO truth there!

"The Sounds of The Supremes was founded by Kaaren Ragland in the late 1980s after she toured with original Supreme member Mary Wilson, once the Supremes had disbanded."

You can bet this disclaimer would not have appeared had pressure not been applied!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Why would I ? To see the Supremes songs performed, we still have Diana, Sherrie, Lynda, and Mary.

These three American women possess a wealth of experience in recording, television, cabaret, theatre and musicals, and deliver a fantastic vocal blend on Motown classics, standards and contemporary songs, blended with stylish choreography and unrivalled glamour.

There's NO truth there!
    Maybe there is, after all, it does not mention their talent - or lack of it.
    I have heard a few of their albums that were labeled as Supremes - and even had pictures of the actual Supremes. My ears bled. Hopefully, the actions of the fans will get these deceptive Cd's off the market too.

Unfortunately, for reasons of age, for legal reasons, and due to the popularity of the brands, these tribute groups and fakes groups are here to stay. It is one of the reasons I wish the Supremes had continued - other than in the form of the FLOS or other tribute groups.

They should conform to legalities in their advertisements. But it seems to me that pretty much the same people are going to attend these shows no matter what the advertisements say. These are not usually the committed fans ~ these are people that want to hear the song and see a show; they know they aren't getting Diana Ross and beyond that they don't care.

Smile Oooh Mary!!!

There's NO truth there!
    HA! Well, those lies are EASILY exposed should anyone be unfortunate enough to attend one of their 'shows'. Personally, I'd rather have all my teeth pulled out by a dentist with halitosis but neither will ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    "The Sounds of The Supremes was founded by Kaaren Ragland in the late 1980s after she toured with original Supreme member Mary Wilson, once the Supremes had disbanded."

You can bet this disclaimer would not have appeared had pressure not been applied!
    And pressure certainly WAS applied.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Unfortunately, for reasons of age, for legal reasons, and due to the popularity of the brands, these tribute groups and fakes groups are here to stay. It is one of the reasons I wish the Supremes had continued - other than in the form of the FLOS or other tribute groups.

They should conform to legalities in their advertisements. But it seems to me that pretty much the same people are going to attend these shows no matter what the advertisements say. These are not usually the committed fans ~ these are people that want to hear the song and see a show; they know they aren't getting Diana Ross and beyond that they don't care.
    Have to disagree. I and other friends who live in different parts of the UK have been checking ticket sales for the SOS - bear in mind this tour was advertised at the beginning of February. Two of the venues I called last weekend still had front row seats available and there were plenty available at all the other venues. Also, don't categorise FLOS as a tribute act, that's just being disrespectful. Scherrie & Lynda are, and always will be Supremes.

If I wanted to see a tribute show that included Supremes' songs, I'd rather pay a little more and see the ' Dancing In The Streets' tour, which offers much better entertainment value for the money - and now seems to be the mass-market audience's idea of 'Motown'.......

For me if you dont get Diana Ross singing the Diana led songs or you don't get Jean singing the Jean led songs, then you have a tribute act.

None of the rest of the Supremes or any of the tribute groups come anywhere near to duplicating the sound. Some of the advertised tribute groups sound better than some of the former Supremes.

I can also see attending a Mary Wilson concert because she is one of only two original Supremes that were there during the classic hit making days when the group was defined and when they defined a sound and became synonymous with the name "Motown". For that, she is also worth seeing in person.

But beyond Diana and Mary, we are really into tribute territory. And it is very easy for me to see why Mary Wilson and Otis Williams get their knickers in a knot over other people honing in on what they tried to preserve and had to fight very hard to preserve.

But again, for me, if the sound is good, most members of the public will go, just for the show and to remember the songs. And they won't care.

And I'm not saying all of "you guys" would go and love it; nor would I; but we are not the average joe out on the street who knows little about Motown ~ other than it means Aretha, Diana, Stevie and Michael or something like that.

For me if you dont get Diana Ross singing the Diana led songs or you don't get Jean singing the Jean led songs, then you have a tribute act.
    I have to disagree. If that's the case then when Jean, Mary and Cindy performed the 60's hits then I guess they were a tribute act. The same applies to Scherrie, Mary, Cindy, and Susaye performing the Jean era hits. Sure Scherrie and Lynda didn't record any of the famous hits, but they performed those songs nightly when the group was touring back in the 70's. Of course it's not the same sound or feel that the original songs possessed when Diana or Jean sang them, but Scherrie and Lynda are Supremes. They know those songs. They are not a tribute act nor are they in the same league as the Sounds of the Supremes.

Well I agree Scherrie was the lead on I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking and several other smaller 70's hits. And Susaye was co lead on High Energy. And both are definitely Supremes. And they are not in the same category as SOS etc. But they aren't originals like Diana and Mary and I'll take Jean singing Stoned Love and Up the Ladder to the Roof. The FLOS are a good group; they've lasted a lot longer than the Supremes; they own the name Supremes in England I gather. They've worked hard too. It's just that they are not the originals.

smark21 Guest
    When was the last time The FLOS performed a show? I’m not crazy about the FLOS videos I’ve seen. They got the moves down, but Lynda and Scherrie are aggressive singers and it just doesn’t work on the Diana led material using similar arrangements as the hit version. Forget about originals and replacements and tribute singers, etc. To me, it’s the entire mix—vocals and music and song selection and the performance all have to complement each other to make a good show.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    When was the last time The FLOS performed a show? I’m not crazy about the FLOS videos I’ve seen. They got the moves down, but Lynda and Scherrie are aggressive singers and it just doesn’t work on the Diana led material using similar arrangements as the hit version. Forget about originals and replacements and tribute singers, etc. To me, it’s the entire mix—vocals and music and song selection and the performance all have to complement each other to make a good show.
    I HAVE to answer this one... Lynda and Scherrie AGGRESSIVE singers? Belters [[when necessary live and in the studio) but not agressive. Have you heard these tracks? [[Scherrie) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-qLId_zWVA [[Lynda) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3dSl2IAyYk and yes, they are my productions but I just want to make sure you've heard them singing 'mellow'. Steve Weaver.

Thanks for the link. Sherrie does a beautiful version of If I Love Again. I had only heard this by Barbra. I liked Lynda's song too. Ignorance has made me not even bother to check these out. I just assumed that they were remakes of Supremes hits. Being billed as Supremes and having the album titled Stop To Love may have caused me to make that assumption. After hearing Sherrie's If I Love Again, I will have to take a closer look at this CD. Yes, Sherrie is a belter and has been compared to Ethel Merman on this board, but one of my all time favorites by her is Another Life From Now

Quote Originally Posted by ivyfield View Post
    I HAVE to answer this one... Lynda and Scherrie AGGRESSIVE singers? Belters [[when necessary live and in the studio) but not agressive. Have you heard these tracks? [[Scherrie) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-qLId_zWVA [[Lynda) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3dSl2IAyYk and yes, they are my productions but I just want to make sure you've heard them singing 'mellow'. Steve Weaver.
    Nice restrained performances of mediocre MOR songs. Thank you for sharing.

Roberta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhnGy...6&feature=plcp

Is this the fake supremes group you are talking about? The women on the left of the richard's tempts group.

Quote Originally Posted by candykamaine View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhnGy...6&feature=plcp

Is this the fake supremes group you are talking about? The women on the left of the richard's tempts group.
    Yep, that's them!

Is it me or does Kaaaaaaaaaaren always sound like she's drunk?

Does this mean that Richard Street also has a group of Temptations touring and they do Motown nights with Kaaren's Supremes? And it's all fine?

No wonder Mary gets mad.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

Yep, that's them!

Is it me or does Kaaaaaaaaaaren always sound like she's drunk?
    I couldn't possibly comment other than to say yep - that's the witch of the west [[coast). Sometimes I type w when I mean to type b [[I'm sure you can work that out!)

Does this mean that Richard Street also has a group of Temptations touring and they do Motown nights with Kaaren's Supremes? And it's all fine?

No wonder Mary gets mad.
    It's treacherous of Mr. Richard Street to appear on the same bill or TV show as SOTS.

May God forgive him for this. He's selling his soul to make a buck. Richard Street needs to take heed of these words from the good book of Luke.

"Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed, a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

Roberta

Are you telling us that Kaaren Ragland takes work away from the FLOS?

No wonder Mary gets mad.
    That appearance has puzzled me too, I was sufering for Japanese stuff and found this. All I read is that Richard's group rarly tours in the US if I can recall correctly.
    Last edited by candykamaine; 06-14-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Richard Street's rights to use of the name Temptations is probably quite limited; Otis probably has that fairly protected.

But the name Supremes is almost open territory in comparison.

smark21 Guest
    I’m not saying they can’t sing soft, but the Supremes songs they do in the live clips I’ve seen on youtube they tend to overdo it. A month ago or so there was a thread on Where Did our Love Go and one member [[JuiceFree I believe) mentioned the arrangement on that song just does not lend itself to oversinging. And I think that tends to be the case for many of the Diana led hits.
    AS for these two songs you link, they’re nicely done, but neither has a wow factor. Lynda does a nice take on I Still Believe, but I prefer Brenda K. Starr’s version.

revvy Guest
    Good Lord Steve! You are more than obsessed with Lynda and Scherrie. Sorry, but the FLOS are in the same league as Sounds of the Supremes. I don't care if they were signed by Motown or not. The real Supremes are Diana, Mary, Florence and yes, Cindy Birdsong. The failure of the Return to Love tour proved that once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by revvy View Post
    .... The real Supremes are Diana, Mary, Florence and yes, Cindy Birdsong......
    Interesting conclusion, but I don't see the logic. If Cindy, a replacement Supreme, is considered "real", then why not Jean, Lynda, Sherrie, & Susaye. To be real, did they have to be in a grouping that included Diana?

I've seen all the groupings perform live, and consider them all 'real' Supremes

I agree with milven.

Before 1977, if a lady

a) had performed to an audience as a member of The Supremes, and
    b)her voice had also featured on a recording released by Motown Records as 'The Supremes', and in addition
    c) her face had featured on an album cover released by Motown Records as 'The Supremes'

...then, in my book, she was an authentic Supreme at that particular time in the history of the group - and is entitled always to be regarded as such.

Anyone else is excluded.

Talking

Barbara Martin, Flo Ballard, Diane Ross, Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong, Jean Terrell, Lynda Lawrence, Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene were all Motown signed Supremes and each lady contributed to the group. They all have my love and utmost respect and if you can't find anything nice to say about them them silence is golden.

May God continue to bless Barbara Martin, Diane Ross, Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong, Jean Terrell, Lynda Lawrence, Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene and may he in all his infinite goodness continue to watch over Miss Flo Ballard who is with him in all her Supreme glory in his Heavenly mansion.

Have a safe and blessed weekend everyone.

Roberta

You all are just scab lickers. Lynda and Scherrie scabbed out big time on this just to serve Diana's ego. Mary and Cindy are what the public wanted. Not the fourth and fifth string of the Harlem Globetrotters! That's why the tour failed. Wake up!
    I'm calling you out here. I don't normally get involved in Supremes arguments, but your views are completely subjective, emotional, and irrelevant. Milven's, Westgrandboulevard's and Roberta's comments are factual and irrefutable.

May I also remind that we should respect the views of people who don't agree with us, and that name-calling is unnecessary.

I appeal to Marv2 to back me on this one.

You all are just scab lickers. Lynda and Scherrie scabbed out big time on this just to serve Diana's ego. Mary and Cindy are what the public wanted. Not the fourth and fifth string of the Harlem Globetrotters! That's why the tour failed. Wake up!

And you sir or ma'am need to take yourself to a house of worship and ask a forgiving God to pardon your sins for writing such filth.

Shame on you and may God forgive you.

Roberta