[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    cindy has also brought up the story about Berry wanting to drop Jean but Cin and Mar fighting for her. Berry doesn't it bring it up but, frankly, doesn't bring up much at all in reference to the 70s Sups. in "To Be Loved" there are about 2 sentences talking about their hits Up the Ladder and Stoned Love. and that's it.
    Well that in itself speaks loudly of what Mr. Gordy felt about The Supremes post Diana - NOTHING. And he had very few kind words, if any for Wilson in TO BE LOVED.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Well that in itself speaks loudly of what Mr. Gordy felt about The Supremes post Diana - NOTHING. And he had very few kind words, if any for Wilson in TO BE LOVED.
    But that's all water under the bridge now TopDiva. Marv2 recently posted that Berry and Mary Wilson are bosom buddies today and Marv2 knows everything about Miss Wilson and Mr. Gordy so it must be true.

funny thing, at the last supremes awards ceremony [ a few years back] BG asked Jean why she left and i think her response was "r u kidding?"

lol - david that's a good one. when was this?

lol!! Good one!!

I wonder if Cindy and Mary got to spend any time with Syreeta back in those days of constant touring to know or form the opinion they wouldn't get along or work well with her since Cindy mentioned something to that effect in the TITS box liner notes....

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    funny thing, at the last supremes awards ceremony [ a few years back] BG asked Jean why she left and i think her response was "r u kidding?"

Oh my!!! well that tells us a lot of things - or confuses us more!!!! "r u kidding", meaning you know darn well why I left - or - "r u kidding", you know darn well I was fired. Which one - still it is oddly funny and for Jean politically correct.

i cant remember exactly but it was after RTL and the Supremes recieved an award and most of the ladies were there including Mary, Jean , Cindy ,Scherrie. cant remember exactly but , Dianas daughter was there and accepted on behalf of her. i think this was after diana had been pulled over for a DUI , [just for time frame] . BG was there presenting the award? ,....and Jean and BG seemd to be catching up with each other. now that you ask, i am not sure how to take it. but i thought she meant you know why i quit.?

i think that BG felt Jean was too soulful for the Supremes and Syreeta was more pop sounding and he thought the Supremes should remain in the pop genre ? but it seems that Mary amd Cindy had felt that they had rehearsed with Jean for months and most of the Right On lp was completed by this point. why change the group now ,.....and Cindy had stated she was not found of Syreeta at the time but they became good friends anyway.

topdiva1 Guest
    i think that BG felt Jean was too soulful for the Supremes and Syreeta was more pop sounding and he thought the Supremes should remain in the pop genre ? but it seems that Mary amd Cindy had felt that they had rehearsed with Jean for months and most of the Right On lp was completed by this point. why change the group now ,.....and Cindy had stated she was not found of Syreeta at the time but they became good friends anyway.
    Most likely you are right - Jean is a no nonesense kind of gal - and Gordy knew to the letter what had happen between everybody at Motown - the man is no fool!!!

jean seems to be the type to have included "i got fired" in her dvd release a few years ago "if" it went down that way so many years ago. she tells why she left and it was not "that'.

topdiva1 Guest

Gordy was NOT ABOUT TO SPEND another dime on The Supremes - and certainly Berry was not about to listen to Mary Wilson - who he had no faith in.

I think had motown gordy promoted t 70s supremes during t terrell yrs they would have had bigger hits. Up the ladder should have been a top 5 hit stoned love should have easily went to no 1, and a follow up to stoned love should not have taken so long. The album/single should been named stone love and not mislabeled. Everybodys got t right to love was a poor followup t right on album had two or 3 potential hits singles one them was wait a minute before u leave itv explodes and mary and cindy could have easily been over dubbed into t mix f a single release.

Gordy was NOT ABOUT TO SPEND another dime on The Supremes - and certainly Berry was not about to listen to Mary Wilson - who he had no faith in.
    That is not true. Heck you'd be surprised how much and how long Mr. Gordy has confided in Ms. Wilson.

ROFL, confided in Miss Wilson how? By telling her she couldn't sing?

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Yeah, I guess that is why he kept her on Motown for 20 years. She sings beautifully. Try something original.

Mary was one of the few Motown singers who tried to sue Motown and Berry Gordy. I dont think Mr. Gordy felt warm and fuzzy by those who did this.

Hey Marv! All that matters is that they are friends today.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is not true. Heck you'd be surprised how much and how long Mr. Gordy has confided in Ms. Wilson.
    Your damn right there!! I would be very very surprised...........

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hey Marv! All that matters is that they are friends today.
    That's what matters most.

Maths Reeves and Vandellas., jean Terrell, Florence Ballard all sued Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    So did Gladys Knight & the Pips.

Michael Jackson sued Motown and Berry loved him till the day he died:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...otown-20030512

You can't listen to some of these people that are just grasping for controversy.

I have the book [[Yep, signed by Mr. Gordy himself!) and that's not true. He proclaimed Mary Wilson to be "The Heart & Soul of the Supremes" in 1994 at the Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony.......the same year "To Be Loved" was released! Try again.

Didn't Berry write that Mary was the heart and soul of the Supremes and that she was a good singer in his autobiography and "you finally leaned how to sing" when she took over the lead when Diana stopped singing on Motown 25 and Mary was no longer a background singer?!!
    Last edited by luke; 09-30-2016 at 01:23 PM.

Didn't Berry write that Mary was the heart and soul of the Suoremes and that she was a good singer in his autobiography and "you finally leaned how to sing" when she took over the lead when Diana stopped singing on Motown 25 and Mary was no longer a background singer?!!
    Yes. It was clear Mary could sing and sing very well as far back as the Primettes first release and "Pretty Baby".

And Mary is superb singing lead on the Tears. Can you imagine if they all had leads in their shows!! They probably would have been even bigger ..Mary on Where did Our Love Go, Diana on Baby Love and Flo on Come see about me!![[ who got a standing ovation, the one time she sang that solo!)

Marv is always trying to elevate Mary to sainthood. Truth is Berry and Mary have had a love/hate relationship from the start. He nearly fired her in her first year for wrecking his car. He told her early on that she couldn't sing. Her role was merely pretty scenery behind the woman he loved, Diana Ross. After Ross left, Gordy kept Mary's Supremes going for a couple years so as not to have a negative impact on Ross's solo career. After 1973 he was through with her. She constantly badmouthed Gordy to the press in the 70s, by Mary's own admission he gave her a solo contract only to get her to drop her lawsuits and by 1990 had starved Mary into turning over her portion of ownership of the name Supremes to him. Gordy has had little to do with Mary over the years since. Confidante? Hardly

Marv is always trying to elevate Mary to sainthood. Truth is Berry and Mary have had a love/hate relationship from the start. He nearly fired her in her first year for wrecking his car. He told her early on that she couldn't sing. Her role was merely pretty scenery behind the woman he loved, Diana Ross. After Ross left, Gordy kept Mary's Supremes going for a couple years so as not to have a negative impact on Ross's solo career. After 1973 he was through with her. She constantly badmouthed Gordy to the press in the 70s, by Mary's own admission he gave her a solo contract only to get her to drop her lawsuits and by 1990 had starved Mary into turning over her portion of ownership of the name Supremes to him. Gordy has had little to do with Mary over the years since. Confidante? Hardly
    His obsesive compulsive posts about Mary Wilson [[theres at least 8 this morning) just prove your point Bayoumotownman. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Your damn right there!! I would be very very surprised...........
    LOL thats funny dear Bluebrock. LOL

I have the book [[Yep, signed by Mr. Gordy himself!) and that's not true. He proclaimed Mary Wilson to be "The Heart & Soul of the Supremes" in 1994 at the Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony.......the same year "To Be Loved" was released! Try again.
    There are also interviews where BG praises Ms.Wilson.

Hi Luke, Martha and her lawyer used our cafeteria for their business meetings. People knew wht was going down and gave her space. I miss those days running into her in the Ren Cen. Something to look forward to other than work!

I think it would be safe to say that Berry Gordy didn't have much to do with any of the acts once Diana Ross left the Supremes, except for, perhaps, the Jackson 5. He spent his time elevating her career to the level he knew it could be and also getting his film division off the ground. His main acts were now in someone else's hands, so, in essense, you could say he washed his hands of 95% of them.

And Mary is superb singing lead on the Tears. Can you imagine if they all had leads in their shows!! They probably would have been even bigger ..Mary on Where did Our Love Go, Diana on Baby Love and Flo on Come see about me!![[ who got a standing ovation, the one time she sang that solo!)
    They would have lasted longer.
    I know they would have kept my attention longer. It was like torture to try to listen to Diane's high, whiny thin voice on every song of an album for me.

There are also interviews where BG praises Ms.Wilson.
    I know he calls her often, Smokey too.

They would have lasted longer.
    I know they would have kept my attention longer. It was like torture to try to listen to Diane's high, whiny thin voice on every song of an album for me.
    You bought them anyway

Hi Luke, Martha and her lawyer used our cafeteria for their business meetings. People knew wht was going down and gave her space. I miss those days running into her in the Ren Cen. Something to look forward to other than work!
    DET, did you see this? Funny stuff here LOL!

DET, did you see this? Funny stuff here LOL!

Good one Marv!!!!!!! 👍😀👏 Martha is as sharp as a tack and can tell a story like no one else. Damn I she went into the movies to display that charisma.

Was Martha going on too long or was Mary just playing around?

Looks like they like the interplay!

Does degenerating any Supreme qualify for primier membership in SDF? If so, we have several winners here.

Ralph, I beg you to delete this one. Just a mess.

It was both. You see Mary try to get Martha to return to the subject by saying....."Al was in PR" and was responsible for getting us on all those album covers etc.

Good one Marv!!!!!!! ������ Martha is as sharp as a tack and can tell a story like no one else. Damn I she went into the movies to display that charisma.
    I believe Martha would have made a great actress. She is completely at home in front of any crowd. She spoke and sang at Al Abrams funeral. It was comfort to all of us just listening to her.

Ralph,
    Kindly delete this thread.
    Thanxal

I wished Nancy had come up on stage to accept the award.

Martha seems out of breath a lot. Hope she's ok. Maybe excitement

Martha seems out of breath a lot. Hope she's ok. Maybe excitement
    Oh she's ok. That's how she sounds in person sometimes when I'm talking to her.

Oh she's ok. That's how she sounds in person sometimes when I'm talking to her.
    Marv, you talk with Martha in person!!??

WOW!