[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Dells

The Dells

Hello,

I am wondering if The Dells still tour and perform after Johnny's passing. I used to have Chuck Barksdale's phone number but it no longer is in service.

Thanks

Satipe,

According to discussions that Marvin's daughter has had, she's stated that The Dells will not be performing again.

I'm hoping that they will decide to take one last victory lap, but from what she's said that won't happen.

I love the Dells. I had noticed in later years that Marvin Junior would take several breaks on stage to sit, rest. I hope the remaining Dells are fine. There were an awesome group.

Man I will miss them not performing but at least we have their wonderful music to cherish.

One of the classic R&B groups.

I do not know how to do this so I am trying. It is a nice clip of The Dells....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Ong...feature=g-vrec

Nice clip Satipe, you could have clicked the video icon [[fourth to the right of the smiley icon )and copied the link to the page as well, like this. Thanks, it was poignant to say the least, since three of the men in the video are no longer with us........

Paladin, are you sure? I thought Johnny was the only one that has passed.

Marv,

I believe that Paladin is referring to Gerald & Sean Levert, Johnny Carter, as well as Johnny Funches.

Marv,I believe that Paladin is referring to Gerald & Sean Levert, Johnny Carter
    True Juice, since the Dells are from our neck of the woods and are revered as icons, its hard to put a handle on what they plan to do. One never wants to say never, but all the information that's been gleaned since Johnny has passed would indicate that they won't be performing any time soon, if ever. But like I said you don't really know without an official announcement. In this case if it's true that they won't perform again, its one I don't want to hear ........

Paladin,

I was 8 when The Dells made the remake of "Stay In My Corner" & from that day forward, they were always one of my favorite groups. I was just amazed at Johnny's falsetto, the harmonies & damn...I could've sworm that when I went out to play Marvin started hitting THAT NOTE & was still holding it when I came back up to catch "Lost In Space"!

As the years passed, as I hit my 20s & they were STILL together, it began to occur to me that I was witnessing a group whom to my way of thinking, simply wasn't given the props & respect that I believed that they deserved.

One of the biggest thrills was meeting them in Philly at The Liacouris Theatre & sitting with them in their RV at Wingate Field in Brooklyn, with Russell Thompkins Jr. & The New Stylistics & just listening to Mickey, Marvin & Johnny spinning tales of the road. They were always nice to me & I was shooting a show at The Palace, when a promoter decided that I couldn't shoot The Dells. I spoke with Mark [[Manager) & as he had previously let me shoot a few minutes of a couple of their shows in the past, we had a trust established & he went to the promoter & told him that I would be shooting The Dells & I appreciated that.

That was The Dells last appearance here in New York & little did I know then that Johnny would be gone shortly afterward. Now that I think about it, that was the night that they shot the "Live In New York" DVD. hen Mark saw me he laughed & kiddingly told me that if he had known that I was going to be there, he'd have had me shoot video. Two pieces of irony here...I had just received my copy of "In The Basement" with The Dells the featured artists & was on Greyhound on my way to Chicago when the news broke that Johnny had died.

I hate to say this & I have to go back to dig to see when it was announced [[possibly Facebook, I'm not 100% sure), but somewhere around the Xmas holidays, I saw something written elsewhere which announced that The Dells would not be performing again.

I do recall that when asked about it on Facebook, Marvin's daughter said & I remember her quote as though it were yesterday, "Even if he wanted to, it's not physically possible."

I just think that those years on the road have added up & it's simply become too much of a grind. These gentlemen & the classic lineup came together the year that I was born & have been performing for years before that.

That's a whole lot of stages but the selfish part of me would love to see them do it just one more time so that we could give them a proper goodbye. But my suspicion is that they feel that it just wouldn't be right to get on a stage again with someone standing in Johnny's spot. I just don't think that it would feel right to them & from listening to them on the few occasions that I was around them, I don't believe that their hearts could truly be in it.

The Dells have been through some rough times & persevered, but I imagine that standing on a stage without Johnny would be one of the roughest things to do & one which they couldn't overcome.

But still, there's that selfish part of me that just wasn't & still isn't ready to let them go just yet.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 06-02-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Marv,

I believe that Paladin is referring to Gerald & Sean Levert, Johnny Carter, as well as Johnny Funches.
    I understand now. Also on closer observation [[I have the video of that entire show taped from the original broadcast), Etta James and Doris Kenner of the Shirelles are also no longer with us.

Marv,

I've only seen clips of the show. I've forgotten, what's the name of the show/video?

Now that I think about it, Ella & Dizzy are no longer with us either.

Man, was this show THAT long ago?

How time has flown!

Juice you brought up a good point about the Dells, if you notice in the video Chuck says.....thanks ..this is the first time !

I've been around them and their RV too and listened to tales that I would never repeat. Mickey is one of the most knowledgeable black men that I have ever met, and I say that with all due respect because no one on this planet has a memory or mind set like him and collectively they have always felt slighted when it comes to the industry and award shows. I can think of no other group that has been treated as unfairly as the Dells with the possible exception of Frankie Beverly and Maze. The Dells have been around seemingly forever. They were recording before Motown and survived that, they sang with Dinah Washington and survived that, they have recorded with dam near everyone under the sun since 1952 and they can still jam. Marvin Jr has been beset with health problems for years yet he has persevered, since you have been around them there is no need for me to go into specifics.

Marvin and Mickey in particular "cleaned my dam clock", several years ago and I posted a couple of pictures on the old forum while they were appearing in Washington Park in Chicago. I mean they literally had me publicly renounce "The Temptations" and proclaim them "The Mighty Dells" the number one group of all time [[think Muhammad Ali) or they were going to kick my azz off the bus.......I have never been humbled that way since, and talk about hilarity, we were laughing for days after that, in fact I'm laughing now...I can hear Marvin saying, "yeah Mick we got his ass good didn't we! ".....my esteemed colleague and friend Gary Tyson will never let me forget that day............when it started I can still hear him saying in my ear and slightly under his breath..Oh Shhhh.......

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Marv,

I've only seen clips of the show. I've forgotten, what's the name of the show/video?

Now that I think about it, Ella & Dizzy are no longer with us either.

Man, was this show THAT long ago?

How time has flown!
    Juice, it came on in the late 90's . It was the last time the Shirelles were together. I cannot remember the name of the special but do recall it celebrated Black Music Month [[June), If I find my tape, I'll let you know. It was a great show though.

Dang, that was the most viewing fun I've had round these parts in quite awhile...wish stuff like that was on dvd...

I'm saddened to hear that the dells may not perform again but i certainly understand,what a great,great group and i feel very lucky to have seen them perform.

Juice, I have to agree to you wholeheartedly. I remember the Dells from the beginning and I hate the thought that they may never perform again. And you are absolutely correct when you say that they would have a real difficult time going on stage without Johnny. Heck, I hate the thoughts of seeming them without Johnny. So don't feel alone, good brother. I have the same selfishness about this as you do.

Ditto, Juice and Tallone. Another great group gone.

Great stories Dub......I remember my father dam near threatening to kick my butt and disown me for saying the Tempts were better than the Dells when i was a kid. If it wasn't for Grandma........

And for the record....."Stay in My Corner" is The Greatest Slow Dance [[Grind) record EVAH!!!!

The Dells have put out a lot of tracks that never got their due, "Run for Cover" being a prime example.

As with regards to "Stay in My Corner," I much prefer the Vee-Jay original over the Chess remake. There's a primal emotional power and a elegant simplicity that is missing from the remake.

Hi!

Please see my interview with Mickey McGill of the Dells at
    http://www.soulexpress.net

Best regards
    Heikki