[REMOVE ADS]

Steve Gibson & the Red Caps [[Tammi & Barbara)

The Red Caps were around on the scene for years & years.
    After many years as a recording outfit, they cut "Poor, Poor Me" with George Tindley on lead and "Blueberry Hill" featuring a solo by Steve Gibson. These two cuts were paired for an early 1960 45 release on Rose Record's Stage subsidiary.
    Not long after this 45 came out, the group hit tax problems, I believe the guy handling their financial affairs skipped without paying over what the guys owed to the IRS. As a rsult of their problems, in the spring of 1962, the Red Caps split into two groups.
    George Tindley went off to form the Modern Red Caps [[who would later cut for Parkway, Smash, Lawn, Swan & United Artists). Steve Gibson led another set of Red Caps and they played lots of live gigs.
    Steve hird new lead singers including Tammi Montgomery [[Terrell) in 64/65 and Barbara Randolf in 66/67 but she was replaced that year by Pepi Mitchell.
    I didn't realise that Motown singers such as Tammi [[post her time with JB and the like) & Barbara R had spells 'away from the Motown fold'.
    So just when was Tammi signed to Motown [[I believe Harvey Fuqua spotted her when she was performing with Steve's Red Caps & instantly decided she was just right to duet with Marvin), I guess it had to be in 66 or early 67.
    Same for Barbara Randolf; when was she signed to Motown and by who ??

From what I recall, Tammi was performing with Jerry Butler when Berry Gordy spotted her, and offered her a contract. I'm assuming this was somewhere in 1965. I believe her first Motown recordings were issued in 1966.

Not sure of the situation with Barbara. Although I read that she was performing in Puerto Rico, in the lounge of the same hotel that the Supremes were performing in the mainroom. One of Berry's sisters suggested he check out her act, and he did. Supposedly he originally was looking at her to replace Florence. But when that didn't work, she was given a solo contract.