[REMOVE ADS]

Temptations AT The Copa

Supremes At The Copa Expanded was a brilliant reissue with the complete opening night program, and it made me revisit Temptations At The Copa album and I can't help but think that although it sounds like it was a fine show, this album was a botched job. Most of the hits appear on side one whereas the standards appear on side two, which doesn't seem to follow the standard lineup for a Copa show, if that makes sense. In addition, My Girl isn't included and the applause seemed edited out in some places, for example no applause following Get Ready. The songs just seem out of sync. I'm wondering if there's a story behind this album, and if anyone might have a true song lineup. Of course, it would be nice to see this and other Temptations albums given the expanded treatment [[but not before The Supremes' Reflections and Love Child expanded editions) :-)

Any info would be appreciated.

Although it made sound financial sense for Motown groups to play the Copa, I never liked the compromises the acts had to make in their selection of songs.
    I have never [[& wouldn't) buy either of these albums, but if I did I would certainly want the Temps one to be 'ordered' as it is [[& I would never listen to side 2).

I always looked at the album as kind of an introduction to Mr. Edwards, I may have read that the shows were in late summer, and that Cloud 9 single was not released until I believe October. As A Temp-a-holic, I would buy an expanded edition.

smark21 Guest
    By and large die hard Supremes fans love the Copa/Vegas side of the Supremes. How do die hard Tempts fans feel about the Copa/Vegas side of The Temptations?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    By and large die hard Supremes fans love the Copa/Vegas side of the Supremes. How do die hard Tempts fans feel about the Copa/Vegas side of The Temptations?
    I think there would have been more interest in a gospel flavored release since they were at a gospel revival meeting/concert when Mr. Gordy wanted them to cut "Do You Love Me". I personally liked the fact that they could do such a wide range of material, I know that my peers back in the day did not have much use for the standards as a whole, but if you had to listen to say, "Swanee", wouldn't you want to hear it done by the Emperors Of Soul?

When I was first started collecting Motown many, many years ago I admit I had no interest in the show tunes however my taste has grown with time. I think the Supremes and especially the Temptations spin on the show tunes highlight their amazing harmonies and style. They "soul" them, if that makes sense, and I think they did a helluva job.

I would much prefer an expanded "Four Tops Live"