[REMOVE ADS]

Rita DuShay Steal Away Tonight-Barbara McNair

I just came across the original version of the unissued Barbara McNair Motown track written by Dave Hamilton and Clarence Paul. Has anyone ever heard of Rita before? The name may well have been spelt wrongly on the tape box. Ady

Barbara's version was released in 1966 on her album 'Here I Am'! Never heard of Rita DuShay but there is a Rita DORYSE. I would have thought that Barbara's was the original version as it's a Jobete song.

Already had this discussion on another forum.
    VERY unlikely to be Rita Doryse who was an ever present on the Baltimore club scene [[soul then jazz) from 1963 to 1970's.
    So, IMHO the chances of her cutting a Motown track written by two Detroit base guys is slim to none.

Hey whatever - but one thing is for sure this track is one of my favourite al time Motown female vocals [[mind you it sits alongside about 40 other favourites). One of the best of the sadly missed anthologies

Hi Paul,
    It was a song that Dave Hamilton wrote with Clarence Paul and they would have worked on it in Dave's studios with Rita as the first singer as a demo or for eventual release. When Motown picked it up for Barbara Mc Nair for release Dave would have shelved the Rita version. Ady

Bumping this for lester