[REMOVE ADS]

Ohio Players singers

Hi , I'm new in this forum. I'm italian OP's fan, and I want rebuild band's story. I know that Joe Harris was OP singer between Ohio Untouchables and first Ohio Players. I want know who is singer on album First Impressions [[Trip, 1968). This album contains first three OP singles [[A Thing Called Love/My Neighbors, Trespassin'/You Don't Mean It and It's A Crying Shame/I've Got to Hold On) and others song like Over The Rainbow, A Little Soul Party...and two instrumental. The album's singer is always Joe Harris? Or is Duth Robinson? Or Edmond Weeland?

Dang G...you sent this question to my notifications folder and I thought I was being spammed, Sorry about that.
    There are lot of disputes as to who did what leads on the earliest Ohio Players releases but I'll try to help out here.
    Though I never really cared that much for the Observations In Time album having lost it twice and never replacing it..
    I don't think...I did think it had one stand out cut and that was Here Today Gone Tommorow with who I believe is
    Dutch Robinson on lead, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlwOMPlQvkc

Sugarfoot's leads are pretty easy to pick out, their so distinctive but if I remember correctly I think Robert Ward was still
    in the group from their Ohio Untouchable beginnings, in fact he was still with them when Junie Morrison joined despite
    what you may read on some websites. He dueted with Junie on Ain't that Loving You[[ For More Reasons Than One).
    I don't remember Joe Harris being in the group, I'll have to revisit the groups history and that first album. Dang, I can't wait for Sugar to write his memoirs...

You also sent a message to my other acct which I don't use anymore. I tried finding your name on the member's list but it wasn't listed for some reason. It is now. But anyways this is the place to ask your question instead of private messaging, you'll get more results Now lets get down to the nitty gritty. And welcome aboard.Yes Joe Haris was a member with the Ohio Players and was fired by drummer Greg Webster.This is what he posted when I asked him what songs he sang on:
    Quote Originally Posted by jway [[mygirl) aka Joe Harris
    On the first album I sang Lead On Stop Lying to yourself,"Mother in law" " Find Someone to love"
    You can read the whole thread from this link> Joe Harris tenure w/ the Ohio Players

Here's a photo I snatched on facebook. The man in white with hands on hips is Mr Harris

Now I'm waiting for Marshall Jones to drop his book. He mentioned on facebook that they want to turn it into a movie, which I personally doubt would ever happen.
    Last edited by P-Shark: The Revenge; 05-20-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks, I know Joe Harris tenure w/ the Ohio Players thread. Song mentioned by Harris is on Observation In Time album, except Find Someone Love but this song is instrumental. On youtube there are all tracks from First Impression, I thought that even you recognize the voice...

Good point. Maybe there's an unreleased vocal version of Find Somebody To Love. Be nice if Mr Harris will pop back up here
    and give us the straight dope

Dang, I guess I AM getting old; I'd completely forgotten about Joe's time in the Ohio Players. My mind keeps refering to
    his stint in The Undisputed Truth...Somebody give up the real 411, please...

Hi, I've discovered that OP single Trespassin' [[and his B side You Don't Mean It) was sung by Bobby Lee Fears. Bobby sung also Over The Rainbow and Summertime. And follow single It's A Crying Shame [[and B side) was sung by Dutch Robinson. Who is A Thing Called Love singer?

Skin Tight album

In the Ohio Players album Skin Tight [[1974) like lead vocals was credited Sugarfoot, Clarence Satch Satchell, Billy Beck and Diamond Williams. I know that Satch sing like lead It's Your Night and Sugarfoot Heaven Must Be Like This. Who sang Skin Tight, Jive Turkey and Is Anybody Gonna Be Saved?

Giorgio,
    Satch didn't sing lead on It's Your Night, Sugar did. It's also Sugar's growling lead on Skin Tight and most of Is Anybody Gonna Be Saved. Billy Beck took lead on Jive Turkey...

Thats Satch at the intro of Jive Turkey, then Billy starts singing his part. Sugar takes over starting at "I played hooky from school just to be with you". You hear Satch rapping a few more times, "OK all you jive turkeys get in the groove". And that Satch name dropping the players in the end

In 1984, Ohio Players released GRADUATION album. The band was: Billy Beck, Marshall Jones, Ralph Pee Wee Middlebrooks and new Dean Simms. Ronnie 'Diamond' Hoard was Sugarfoot sobstitute. Billy sang leader many songs but few songs was sung by Ronnie Hoard.
    This is GRADUATION tracklist:

Fast track/ Follow me/ Don't you know I carel/ So nice I got my R & B/ School girl/ All night/ Now is the time/ Sight for sore eyes

This song is on Youtube. Anybody can say me what songs sing Ronnie?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GiorgioG.76 View Post
    Ciao Giorgio & benvenuti at Soulful Detroit

The back cover of their Graduation album doesn't indeed specify about who sings which song, and unfortunately i'm somewhat unfamiliar with recognizing the voices of Billy and Ronnie. What might help though is to contact Billy on his official myspace page and ask about his and Ronnie's lead vocal parts?...

http://www.myspace.com/ohioplayersbillybeck

Favorite tracks of mine on Graduation are "Fast Track" "Follow Me" "All Night"

"Don't You Know I Care" somewhat sounds like an updated version of "I Wanna Be Free" LOL!

Hope you will get your answers soon Giorgio, and have fun on this forum!

Saluti

Can't help at all really, but thought this might be of interest [[& it is OP related) ....
    I have a 45 on a yellow Westbound label that features "Ecstasy c/w Not So Sad & Lonely" [[both lifted from the Ecstasy LP).
    Anyway, nothing remarkable in that ... except ... both sides of the 45 [[+ thesong writers crsdits, reference to the producers / arrangers & the LP artists name) refer to the group as being the OCHIO PLAYERS ....
    for a split second I wondered who the Ochio's were when I found the 45, then the penny dropped.
    There is no info on the country of origin for the 45 BUT .... knowing the sort of efforts that guys involved with the Jamaican record industry got up to, I would hazard a guess that this is a Jamaican pressed 45.

Thanks cozmic and jsmith. Anyone more familiar with Billy Beck's voice, can say me what song Billy don't sing in GRADUATION?

Thumbs up

Thanks cozmic and jsmith.
    You're welcome!

Thanks cozmic and jsmith. Anyone more familiar with Billy Beck's voice, can say me what song Billy don't sing in GRADUATION?
    Giorgio, I never bought the Graduation album . I walked away from the group when Sugar was out though in hindsight maybe I shouldn't have done that. Anyway I think it Ronnie Howard leading Fast Track and most
    of the others. Billy Beck is the high tenor/falsetto you hear backing him.
    He might disagree or even be insulted for me saying this but I think
    Billy Beck's selling points to Satch and Sugar when they brought him into
    the group was not only was he too a fine keyboardist, but he could
    approximate Junie Morrison's vocal style which had become so much a
    part of the group's sound...