[REMOVE ADS]

1967 topps motown gum cards anybody here got any?

i just found this pic of the topps cards motown series.sold in 1967 for 15 cents.the cards a circular and have a track on the picture side that can be played and printed info on the reverse.aparently there were 16 in the set,but the reverse side lists just 8.the link below shows the 4 tops i cant help myself.others were
    baby love
    stop.in the name of love
    where did our love go
    fingertips pt2
    how sweet it is
    my girl
    dancing in the street

http://www.goldminemag.com/collector...rds-circa-1967

http://www.goldminemag.com/wp-conten...PS_MOTOWNa.jpg

i've never seen these before and i have spent ages on topps card sites looking for other stuff.some of you in the U.S. might remember them or even have some.

I have quite a few of them and they are nice. The correct line ups were not always used eg Cindy.

The nearest we had was the freebie 45 included in copies of Motown Chartbusters Vol 5. The girls comic 'Valentine' also did something on the J5.

Russ....that URL to Goldmine was superb - it linked to a great piece on Gloria Jones.

thats how i found it,looking thru the site i came across the cards.love it when you find something new!

cheers for the other info.

I never saw these cards, but I have in my collection, a Helmar Brewing Company 4x6-1/2 Card No. 82 of famous athletes, redemption value of this card toward goods $5.00. This was issued in 2003 by Helmar Brewing Company, visit www.helmarbrewing.com.

Oh, most important, I forgot to mention who is honored on the card. A picture of Berry Gordy, Detroit, Founder of Motown in his boxing uniform.

Has anyone else seen this? A real gem.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    i just found this pic of the topps cards motown series.sold in 1967 for 15 cents.the cards a circular and have a track on the picture side that can be played and printed info on the reverse.aparently there were 16 in the set,but the reverse side lists just 8.the link below shows the 4 tops i cant help myself.others were
    baby love
    stop.in the name of love
    where did our love go
    fingertips pt2
    how sweet it is
    my girl
    dancing in the street

http://www.goldminemag.com/collector...rds-circa-1967

http://www.goldminemag.com/wp-conten...PS_MOTOWNa.jpg

i've never seen these before and i have spent ages on topps card sites looking for other stuff.some of you in the U.S. might remember them or even have some.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  21.1 KB
    I lived in both Chicago and L.A. in 1967, and don't remember seeing those cards. I collected Topps Hockey Cards [[which came with chewing gum), sold at newsstand, drugstore and grocery store checkstands. Where would they have been sold?

I certainly would have bought them, had I seen them.

robb
    they were sold by the usual topps stockists,newsstands,etc.
    topps had a deal with a uk company called a&bc [[set up after ww2) where a&bc were able to licence topps cards for sale in uk.except baseball,gridiron etc.so we got the us civil war cards,ww2 cards,batman,aircraft things like that.
    eventually topps bought out a&bc and continued in uk for a time.the company ceased trading in the 70's/80's [[not sure)
    btw.a&bc [[american and british cards) was set up to sell bubble gum.the cards were a free gift so they could shift their gum.the owners went to the states in the 50's to buy card printing and cutting machines.they bought them [[2 i think) back to london.i still have a set of aircraft [[1958)some of those sets civil war news Uk 180/200 gbp,topps version even more per set!the b+w [[62-64) beatles sets go for a bit more.i had those aswell,mum chucked them out with my civil war set!

heres a youtube link for more on the motown cards go to 3.57 there are pics of the cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS-MYnabaPg

i found the site that put this on youtube,i'll put the link in the soulful detroit forum

The other title are: "Baby I Need Your Loving", "Uptight", "Shop Around", "Please Mr. Postman", "The Way You Do The Things You Do", "Heatwave", "Come See About Me" and "My World Is Empty Without You"

My dad has a lot of them in his Motown archive. I bought four on Ebay this year and didn't pay much for them. i have doubles of one Supremes disc.