[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    dvs7,
    Please don't take the thread placement so seriously. All due to respect to Ms. Summer, I'm fine with it.

I noticed some bickering going on. Get a grip guys. I'm back and I've had a lousy week dealing with computer issues, so don't rile me.

There was a time when Jon Landau loved Motown and R & B/Soul Music. I'm sure he will do what he can to get Donna Summer into the RRHoF.

I always think it is very unfortunate that the RRHoF, the Grammys, the Oscars etc., wait until it is too late to do what is right.

I hope Donna's spirit is around for the day when the RRHoF fixes things up.

I was driving back from my monthly theological dinner and turned on the radio to listen to Tavis Smiley on NPR and lo and behold there was the music of Miss Donna Summer. Mr. Tavis Smiley also played an interview hid did with Donna from 4 years ago and hearing her voice just filled my heart with joy. I had no idea that Crayons was her first studio album in almost 17 years. She talk about living in Nashville and getting married and having her first child while working and living in Germany. She talked about her life, her kids, her grandkids. This lady was a true Christian and although I had tears running down my cheeks, they were tears of sadness for her kids and grandbabies but also tears of joy knowing, and I do know, that Miss Summer is now seated at the right hand of our heavenly father.

"And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, they are a new creation. The old has passed away, behold, the new has come home."

Miss Donna Summer is home with her maker, her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and she is blessed.

God is good.

Roberta

Donna Summer may have been referred to as the Queen of Disco, but her Billboard chart hits weren't confined to the so-called "disco era" of the late 1970s.

While she earned a string of smash singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the '70s -- many produced by Giorgio Moroder and Pete Bellotte -- she continued to chart hits on into '80s, '90s, '00s and '10s.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remembering a Disco Queen

• SLIDESHOW: Beautiful Summer

• Donna Summer: 1948-2012

• Top 20 Billboard Chart Hits

• Music Stars React on Twitter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summer earned a total of 32 hit singles on the Hot 100 in her lifetime, with 14 of those reaching the top 10. She claimed a top 40 hit every year from 1976 and 1984. And, between 1976 and the end of 1982, she had more top 10 hits -- 12 -- than any other act.

Her very first entry on the Hot 100 was the epic "Love to Love You Baby" in 1976, which spent two weeks at No. 2. [[The 17-minute long song was edited down to a more radio-friendly length of 4:57.)

Her biggest singles include her four No. 1s "MacArthur Park," "Hot Stuff," "Bad Girls" and "No More Tears [[Enough Is Enough)" [[with Barbra Streisand). On June 30, 1979, when "Hot Stuff" descended 1-2 and "Bad Girls" moved up 5-3, Summer became the first woman to have two singles in the Hot 100's top three at the same time.

After a successful streak of hits in the late '70s and very early '80s, she returned to the Hot 100's top 10 in 1983 with the No. 3 anthem "She Works Hard For the Money." She claimed her final top 10 in 1989 with the Stock-Aitken-Waterman-produced "This Time I Know It's For Real" [[No. 7).

Her most recent Hot 100 hit came in 1999 with "I Will Go With You [[Con Te Partiro)," which reached No. 79.

While her fortunes on the Hot 100 waned through the past few decades, Summer remained a force on the Billboard Dance/Club Play Songs chart her entire career. Appropriate, for the Queen of Disco.

She notched 14 No. 1s on the chart, including her most recent hit, 2010's "To Paris With Love." Her last studio album, 2008's "Crayons," spun off three No. 1 Dance/Club Songs hits with "I'm a Fire," "Stamp Your Feet" and "Fame [[The Game)."

On the Billboard 200 albums chart, she claimed three consecutive No. 1 albums between 1978 and 1980 with "Live and More," "Bad Girls" and "On the Radio - Greatest Hits Volumes I & II." She collected further top 20 albums with 1980's "The Wanderer" [[No. 13), 1982's self-titled set [[No. 20), 1983's "She Works Hard for the Money" [[No. 9) and "Crayons" [[No. 17).

Donna Summer's Top 20 Billboard Hot 100 Hits:

Rank - Title - [[Year) - Hot 100 Peak Position

1. "Hot Stuff" - 1979 - No. 1 [[for 3 weeks)

2. "Bad Girls" - 1979 - No. 1 [[5 weeks)

3. "MacArthur Park" - 1979 - No. 1 [[3 weeks)

4. "Love to Love You Baby" - 1976 - No. 2

5. "No More Tears [[Enough Is Enough)" [[Barbra Streisand/Donna Summer) - 1979 - No. 1 [[2 weeks)

6. "Dim All the Lights" - 1979 - No. 2

7. "She Works Hard For the Money" - 1983 - No. 3

8. "Last Dance" - 1978 - No. 3

9. "The Wanderer" - 1980 - No. 3

10. "Heaven Knows" [[with Brooklyn Dreams) - 1979 - No. 4

11. "On the Radio" - 1980 - No. 5

12. "I Feel Love" - 1977 - No. 6

13. "This Time I Know It's For Real" - 1989 - No. 7

14. "Love Is In Control [[Finger On the Trigger)" - 1982 - No. 10

15. "There Goes My Baby" - 1984 - No. 21

16. "The Woman In Me" - 1983 - No. 33

17. "Cold Love" - 1981 - No. 33

18. "Spring Affair/Winter Melody" - 1977 - No. 43

19. "Walk Away" - 1980 - No. 36

20. "I Love You" - 1978 - No. 37

Donna Summer's top Hot 100 hits ranking is based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100 chart. Songs are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at No. 100 earning the least. To ensure equitable representation of the biggest hits from each era, certain time frames were weighted to account for the difference between turnover rates from those years.

donna summer rip and we have 2 pages of corrections for the wrong forum,spelling,who was offered what 1st etc.etc.
    its supposed to be a tribute and/or what she meant to the poster [[constructive) and to her life's work.some of its informative but mainly destructive.its not good is it?

SupremeBoy Guest
    That's par for the course for this board. That's why I just read and post selectively.

tamla and SupremeBoy, the initial bickering about whether this belonged in this Forum was ridiculous and I coudln't believe that it went on.
    However, I will stand on my belief that we respect the dead when we honor how they chose to be known and how they spelled their names in this world. She deserves at least that. It is a simple thing to fix. As far as "Donna Summer" being listed in the Motown Forum and not the Soulful Detroit Forum -- that is for Ralph to decide.

Separately, there was this tribute to Donna Summer in The Hollywood Reporter --

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-enough-326744

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    donna summer rip and we have 2 pages of corrections for the wrong forum,spelling,who was offered what 1st etc.etc.
    its supposed to be a tribute and/or what she meant to the poster [[constructive) and to her life's work.some of its informative but mainly destructive.its not good is it?
    And, we have people who would rather talk about someone else other than Donna Summer. She left a husband and children, for pete's sake!

Did anyone see the Billboard Awards last night? They had a fine tribute to Whitney and gave her a Millennium Award. They had enough time to also give a nice tribute to Donna who is just as deserving. Last Dance was performed by someone [[sorry, don't recall her name, but she did a good job). But the segment was rushed and at the end an announcer was talking over her performance promoting upcoming events and the end of the song was cut off to go to commercial. It wasn't a tribute. It was an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Poor Donna Summer; and she kept it to herself all this time; she didn't run off to the press with it like so many others.

She is entitled to better than this fuss Dvus.

However...........to bring it back to Motown, USA Today had an early tweet saying that it was Diana Ross that had passed away at 63. And then apologized for the error.

And others have sent a prayer for Gladys, Aretha & Diana.

But these things come in "3's" right.........and now there is Etta, Whitney and Donna.

Still very sad and shocking day.
    You know Diana Ross and Donna Summer allegedly became friendly a while back during a Divas TRIBUTE. Don't know if they talked everyday, but I'm told Diana considered Donna to be one of her friends.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 05-21-2012 at 09:42 AM.

The greats deserve much better tributes!

before she was famous Donna saw Diana perform in Germany and was blown away by her stage craft..yes Diana and Donna are friends..

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Did anyone see the Billboard Awards last night? They had a fine tribute to Whitney and gave her a Millennium Award. They had enough time to also give a nice tribute to Donna who is just as deserving. Last Dance was performed by someone [[sorry, don't recall her name, but she did a good job). But the segment was rushed and at the end an announcer was talking over her performance promoting upcoming events and the end of the song was cut off to go to commercial. It wasn't a tribute. It was an insult.
    Milven; than you for mentioning this. What an embarassment.

Naturally, the big "tribute" of the night was going to Whitney, which she deserved, however, Donna certainly was worthy of more than just 30 seconds of "Last Dance" [[and, like you, I have no idea who the singer was.....Kylie Minogue?) I think it was a misstep to overlook someone who lived "the good life". Whiteny's death was no surprise; Donna's on the other hand was a shock. But maybe that's just Rock and Roll.....

I think Billboard should have waited until next year to pay homage to Donna; they might have been able to do a Robin Gibb tie-in as well.

There just wasnt time from the announcement of her passing to the show date for anyone to put together a tribute..the tributes will come but generally speaking these artists who contribute to these kinds of tributes have deep,deep affection for the artists they are representing on stage and want to do the very best any performer worth a dime aint gonna do something in 48 hrs that they can do way better with a few weeks prep..

smark21 Guest
    Lord, some of you are really out of it! Natasha Bedingfield has had several pop hits over the past few years. Her biggest hit is “Unwritten”. She’s a good singer.

I agree that whoever directed and produced the Billboard Awards blew it by cutting away after a minute or so of the performance. Badly done.

The show was on ABC so it makes sense in a way that they would have the stars of their show Modern Family on to host and to promote the show. At least the hosts made fun of the decision to hire them and commented on their lack of connection to the music industry, so they made the best of an awkward situation.

And you all need to give up on the idea that some legend whose heyday was 40-50 years ago should host the show. Outside of PBS special targeting the senior demographic, their hosting days are over. It may not be right, but that’s just commercial reality. I understand the singer Pink created quite a stir on Twitter last night with her running snarky commentary on the show. I think she might make a good MC for the Awards next year. Here’s what she had to say about Chris Brown [[as per the LA Times):

“During Brown’s dance-heavy [[and lazily mimed) performance of “Turn Up the Music,” she wrote on Twitter, “one day if i lipsync, i hope i do it as well as him....” The dig was even co-signed by her husband, Carey Hart, who remarked “Im pretty sure i saw my wife did that same performance, but she was 3 months pregnant and actually sang the song” in reference to Pink’s similarly BMX-themed AMA performance back in 2010.”

Donna Summer and Robin Gibb

Name:  DS.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  42.4 KB

Billboard.comCharts News Video New Releases Live BBMA 2012
    news
    Donna Summer's Album Sales Surge, Despite Lack of Availability | Billboard.com
    news
    article
    news-1007103352
    news-1007103352
    prod
    billboard.news/index
    content=news-1007103352
    Donna Summer's Album Sales Surge, Despite Lack of AvailabilityKeith Caulfield, L.A.
    news
    news-1007103352
    news
    by Keith Caulfield, L.A. | May 18, 2012 10:13 EDT
    Comments 8Share on twitterTwitterShare on facebookFacebookShare on myspaceMyspaceShare on diggDiggEMAIL More Sharing ServicesMoreprint rss To

FROM

SUBJECT

BODY

Here is an item from Billboard.com you should enjoy. Click on the link below to check it out.

Your message has been sent ! Close

SUBMITCANCEL

Getty Images
    Donna Summer

Artists in this Article
    /artist/donna-summer/5782
    Donna Summer Despite how nearly half of the late Donna Summer's studio albums are off the market, the diva's catalog is due to make waves on the Billboard charts next week.

Sources say her seven currently available greatest hits albums, along with a remix collection, could collectively sell between 20,000 to 40,000 copies by week's end on Sunday, May 20. [[Up from less than 1,000 last week.) The biggest seller of the bunch might be "The Journey: The Very Best of Donna Summer," which was released in 2003. Also performing well is her first best-of, 1979's "On the Radio - Greatest Hits Volumes I & II."

Rock Hall Regrets Donna Summer Snub

However, there are a number of albums that are certain not to appear on any of our charts next week: Her five releases with Geffen Records and two for Atlantic Records in the 1980s and 1990s.

Why? All seven of those titles are out of print -- both physically and digitally -- and are owned by Summer's estate. They include Geffen's "The Wanderer" [[1980), "Donna Summer" [[1982), "Cats Without Claws" [[1984), "All Systems Go" [[1987) and "I'm a Rainbow" [[a shelved album from the early 1980s that was unreleased until 1996).

For Atlantic, she released "Another Place and Time" in 1989 [[which includes the top 10 Billboard Hot 100 single "This Time I Know It's For Real") and "Mistaken Identity" in 1991.

Her Geffen albums have been unavailable since 2003, while Atlantic's "Mistaken Identity" and "Another Place and Time" left the marketplace in 1996 and 2009, respectively.

Donna Summer: Her Life and Career in Photos

Summer recorded for many labels in her career, aside from Geffen and Atlantic. The bulk of her material was released through Casablanca Records from her first U.S. album in 1975 [["Love to Love You Baby") through the hits set "Walk Away" in 1980. While most of her Casablanca sets are available via digital services, not all are still available as physical albums.

After departing Casablanca, she released two Geffen albums in 1980 and 1982, and then issued "She Works Hard for the Money" for Mercury Records in 1983. While that album can be found digitally on iTunes and in other e-tailers, it's been out of print as a CD since 2003.

After parting ways with Atlantic in the early '90s, she moved on to Epic Records for 1999's concert set "Live & More Encore."

Her final studio album released in her lifetime was 2008's "Crayons," issued through Sony Music's Burgundy Records. It debuted and peaked at No. 17 on the Billboard 200 and is still currently on the market -- both physically and digitally.

Donna Summer’s album sales are up 3,277 percent since her death last week and they have her climbing up the Billboard’s music charts. On Billboard’s top 200 her No.1 hit 70′s-best of album On the Radio: Greatest Hits Volumes I & II is at No. 73. It sold 6,000 copies last week. Electronic Urban Report has the story:

The late Donna Summer is back on Billboard’s music charts this week, following her death from cancer on May 17.

On the Billboard 200 albums chart, Summer hits the tally with four albums. She re-enters the list with her former No. 1, “On the Radio: Greatest Hits Volumes I & II” at No. 73. It sold 6,000 copies last week — a gain of 10,761% over the previous seven days.

She also debuts on the list with “Endless Summer: Donna Summer’s Greatest Hits” [[No. 90 with 5,000; up 43,045%), re-enters with “The Journey: The Very Best of Donna Summer” [[No. 95 with 5,000; up 3,819%) and bows “Greatest Hits” [[No. 194 with 2,000; up 3,842%).

Summer’s catalog of albums sold 26,000 last week — up 3,277% from 1,000 the week previous.

In terms of digital songs, the diva sold 187,000 downloads last week — up from 4,000 the week previous [[a gain of 4,115%). Summer sold more than twice as many songs last week than she had in all of 2012 up until her death [[97,000).