[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Donna Summers Queen of Disco Dies.

The Supremes were to Motown, as to Donna Summers was to Disco.
    she passed according to news reports of cancer at 63.

How can we ever get over this we lost another big one folks, and yes this is appropriate
    for the Motown post as well. She loved Motown so we must pay tribute to one of the
    biggest disco artists ever. Last Dance will never end.

NO!! this nor the other posts IS NOT appropaiate for the MOTOWN section!!!! follow basic intructions!!!!!

David

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    NO!! this nor the other posts IS NOT appropaiate for the MOTOWN section!!!! follow basic intructions!!!!!

David
    Oh, please. How can you be so offended? It's the message that's important, which Franjoy was trying to share. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Oh, please. How can you be so offended? It's the message that's important, which Franjoy was trying to share. Get over it.
    Dear, Kenneth

How can I be offended, when I am not the one NOT following basic rules, established!!!!

Dear, Kenneth

How can I be offended, when I am not the one NOT following basic rules, established!!!!
    Yes, and of course all the exclamation points makes your message so much more effective...[[yawn)...

Agree not really appropriate to a Motown Forum, and it is Donna Summer - not Summers!

Poor Donna Summer; and she kept it to herself all this time; she didn't run off to the press with it like so many others.

She is entitled to better than this fuss Dvus.

However...........to bring it back to Motown, USA Today had an early tweet saying that it was Diana Ross that had passed away at 63. And then apologized for the error.

And others have sent a prayer for Gladys, Aretha & Diana.

But these things come in "3's" right.........and now there is Etta, Whitney and Donna.

Still very sad and shocking day.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Agree not really appropriate to a Motown Forum, and it is Donna Summer - not Summers!
    The woman brought joy to millions so I think it is very appropriate to post our tributes to Miss Donna Summer in this or any section of Soulful Detroit.

I know in my heart that Ralph wouldn't mind one lick, I think Ralph would be proud that we are paying tribute to this great lady of song.

Donna Summer has gone home to glory and I am very blessed to have danced many times to her beautiful voice.

"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of everlasting life that the Lord has promised to those who love him."

Miss Summer loved her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ so very much, and now she is wearing her crown in her heavenly Father's mansion.

Roberta

Hearing this news today was shocking. Did not even know the lady was sick. Donna was a Motown fan just as we are. Here she is giving Diana a tribute. It was Diana's night, but Donna stole the spotlight with her version of the Supremes' psychedelic-soul hit, jolting the song with a power that Diana, for all her sexy cooing, could never approach.
    Donna was a Diana fan and Diana was a Donna fan. RIP DONNA SUMMER, Queen of Disco

I agree that it's appropriate. She was a classy lady with a helluva voice.

Has anyone other than I noticed that Donna resembled our Martha Reeves? If not...look closer

David
    In case you may have forgotten, LET ME REFRESH YOUR MEMORY SO YOU CAN STFU.

Donna Summer starred in the movie "Thank God, It's Friday", performing her classic, "Last Dance". The song would go on to win a Grammy as Best Song in 1979. For those that don't remember, Diana's "Lovin, Livin' and Givin'" was also included on the soundtrack. Why? BECAUSE THE STUDIO INVOLVED IN THE MOVIE WAS MOTOWN PRODUCTIONS.

Jesus. Have a little respect for the dead.

I dropped my R.I.P post in another Donna Summer thread. I think it would be a very good idea to combine these two or three threads into one so we don't have a bunch of them scattered all over the place.

smark21 Guest
    Seems like Dvus7 is off his anti psychotic medication…he ought to get back on it stat.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Hearing this news today was shocking. Did not even know the lady was sick. Donna was a Motown fan just as we are. Here she is giving Diana a tribute. It was Diana's night, but Donna stole the spotlight with her version of the Supremes' psychedelic-soul hit, jolting the song with a power that Diana, for all her sexy cooing, could never approach.
    Donna was a Diana fan and Diana was a Donna fan. RIP DONNA SUMMER, Queen of Disco

Ok we don't have to undermine Motown's very own to give Donna her accolades. For all Diana's "sexy cooing"...she took the song to #1 on the charts. So it resonated somehow.

But anyway, the Vh1 producers stated that Donna Summer was Diana's first request for the line-up. So there was certainly a mutual respect & love between them both.

I don't post in the Motown section too often, but please don't confuse me with the Diana Bashers. I love Diana's sexy cooing. I was simply stating that Donna took the song in a different direction. It takes nothing away from Diana's performance. Donna and Diana have been friends and fans of each other for a long time.

To be honest, I’m not all that crazy about Donna Summers’seventies pop-disco songs [[but then again, also applies to many others of the period), but cannot get enough of her eighties – nineties stuff – Hot Stuff, Bad Girls, She Works Hard For the Money, Unconditional Love, This Time I Know It’s For Real, Melody of Love…

Normally, I would say “everybody has to go sometime”, but once again, simply was not prepared for it, nor would I be if the news was five, ten, twenty from now rather than today . She’s that optimistic driving force of dance music, of music in general, she always seems so alive every time I see her on TV.

I’ll miss that, and I’ll miss her.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 05-17-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Here's a Motown connection. Mary Wilson singing "She Works Hard for the Money"

Seems to me Diana was offered one of Donna's, which Diana turned down.

Was it "I Feel Love" or "Love to Love You, Baby"?

^Hmmm. I wonder which song that was.

But I do know the classic "It's Raining Men" was turned down by Diana & Donna [[as well as Cher & Barbara Streisand!) before The Weather Girls made it a hit.

to Dvus7 oh how heartless can some people be. When Donna Summer [[s) omitted
    came out in 75, do you realize Motown disco songs were fashioned after Donna
    Summer's hits, with the thump in disco period. Donna Summer in around 1983-4 incorporated a Supremes skit in her act which was cute not to mention her role on Diana ross Divas 2000, and of course Mary Wilson sings She Works Hard for the Money in her act as Marv stated. Yes Donna put her own stamp on "Reflections" on the same Diana Divas 2000, so how relervant is the death of Donna Summer [[s) being on this Motown Post very very. When I heard the news I posted this at work so perhaps adding the S to Donna's last name meant something to me the Star of Disco period.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Seems to me Diana was offered one of Donna's, which Diana turned down.

Was it "I Feel Love" or "Love to Love You, Baby"?
    None of that is true.

Great. This is an R.I.P. thread for Donna Summer, and you all are cat-fighting and talking about, who else, Diana Ross. Classy guys. Great way to show respect for the dearly departed. Geez!

Further Divas 2000 was a star studded show wth Donna Summer, Diana Ross two 70's Supremes Scherrie & Lynda, Mariah Carey, Angela Bassett and more, with Donna a part of a Diana show even though Diana was no longer Motown artist, as the saying goes as Diana goes so does Motown she is forever tied with Motown.

I will never forget the wonderful disco music Donna brought to our hearts and on the dance floor, I fell in Love with the "I Remember Yesterday" album all of it, I lived for Last Dance, and I Feel Love, and dance myself to death when "Bad Girls" came out at the clubs, and thought it would never end, Donna Summer thank you for making me happy with your great disco classic hits in the era when we danced to keep from crying because let me tell you the 70's were a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I will never forget the wonderful disco music Donna brought to our hearts and on the dance floor, I fell in Love with the "I Remember Yesterday" album all of it, I lived for Last Dance, and I Feel Love, and dance myself to death when "Bad Girls" came out at the clubs, and thought it would never end, Donna Summer thank you for making me happy with your great disco classic hits in the era when we danced to keep from crying because let me tell you the 70's were a trip.
    "I Remember Yesterday" was the first album I really loved of hers as well.

Right now I'm listening to "On the Radio" and then my favorite is coming on, "Once Upon a Time."

Great, great memories.

I had friends over at my place last night..someone asked who do you think will pass away in music next ? I replied "Liza Minnelli or Courtney Love"..then I turned on the radio and heard this sad news..she was the undispuitable Queen of disco..no one came close..her VH1 concert in the 90s where she said she wrote "Dim All The Nights" for Rod Stewart then preceded to sing it al a' Rods Style..my favourite Donna story is of her sitting on a stool alongside Barbra Striesand as they were recording "Enough Is Enough" as the divas both held on to a long note..Donna passed out and fell off her stool..when she came to on the studio floor she looked up to see Streisand still sitting on her stool holding the same note...

There were so many different facets to her voice. She could sing high, even falsetto, or rough for rock and roll, or churchy like gospel. I love "Act 1" and "Act 2" of "Once Upon a Time." Act 2 seems to lift the "I Feel Love" type of background and instrumentation, with the electronica/Kraftwerk feel, especially on the moving "Now I Need You" with the full male/female choir in the background. The depth and polish of the music is so fine.

the choir she organised to appear on "State Of Independence" was an incredible stable of legendary singers..

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    To be honest, I’m not all that crazy about Donna Summers’seventies pop-disco songs [[but then again, also applies to many others of the period), but cannot get enough of her eighties – nineties stuff – Hot Stuff, Bad Girls,.

Ngroove, just for the record, I was a senior in college in 1979 and when the album "Bad Girls" was released. And the single "Hot Stuff" had been playing in the clubs for some time already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Girls_[[album)

I went to see Donna in concert at L.A.'s Universal Amphitheatre when it was still an outdoor venue in the summer of 1979 at the height of Donna Summer's and "Bad Girls'" popularity. So, I don't know how old you were in the 70s, but having been old enough to go to clubs in the late 70s and dance to Donna Summer, I know that "Hot Stuff," "Bad Girls," "Dim All the Lights," "Sunset People," "Lucky," etc. were still a part of the decade known as the 1970s.

Another memory. When I went to see Donna that summer in 1979, two rows in front of me were Barbra Streisand and her son Jason, Little did I know that Donna and Barbra had collaborated on "Enough Is Enough [[No More Tears)" at that time. A few months later, I was living in New York and went to Studio 54 and this song started and I recognized Streisand and then started dancing to and listening to for the first time, "Enough Is Enough [[No More Tears)."
    I was fortunate to be able to get to see Donna again during her tour to promote her last album, "Crayons," when she performed at The Hollywood Bowl.
    She will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    Ngroove, just for the record, I was a senior in college in 1979 and when the album "Bad Girls" was released. And the single "Hot Stuff" had been playing in the clubs for some time already.

I went to see Donna in concert at L.A.'s Universal Amphitheatre when it was still an outdoor venue in the summer of 1979 at the height of Donna Summer's and "Bad Girls'" popularity. So, I don't know how old you were in the 70s, but having been old enough to go to clubs in the late 70s and dance to Donna Summer, I know that "Hot Stuff," "Bad Girls," "Dim All the Lights," "Sunset People," "Lucky," etc. were still a part of the decade known as the 1970s.

Another memory. When I went to see Donna that summer in 1979, two rows in front of me were Barbra Streisand and her son Jason, Little did I know that Donna and Barbra had collaborated on "Enough Is Enough [[No More Tears)" at that time. A few months later, I was living in New York and went to Studio 54 and this song started and I recognized Streisand and then started dancing to and listening to for the first time, "Enough Is Enough [[No More Tears)."
    I was fortunate to be able to get to see Donna again during her tour to promote her last album, "Crayons," when she performed at The Hollywood Bowl.
    She will be missed.
    what great recollections!! [[your timeline is correct )
    thanks for sharing !

Another legend gone.

I grew up with Donna's songs in the 70's, I think her concert was the very first show I saw on the VHS video when I was about 8 years old [[only last night I was listening to "UNCONDITIONAL LOVE" and "SHE WORKS HARD FOR THE MONEY").
    What a shock to wake up this morning to the news that she's passed away, I didn't even know that she was ill, maybe she wanted to keep it that way.

Thinking about the family she left behind, she will be remembered forever and may she rest in peace.

"I Feel Love" and "Love's Unkind" helped keep me sane in 1977 after I'd just lost my father.

R.I.P. Donna Summer.

Yes r.i.p miss summers

Quote Originally Posted by BabyLuv64 View Post
    ^Hmmm. I wonder which song that was.

But I do know the classic "It's Raining Men" was turned down by Diana & Donna [[as well as Cher & Barbara Streisand!) before The Weather Girls made it a hit.
    YES! That is what I was thinking of. Thank you and my apologies.

I'm sure someone will be all up in my ass for that one.

She will be missed.
    I guess almost forgotten, possibly sound / concept of album difference, kind of assuming it was 1980 or something. Still Simply sounded slightly beyond McArthur Park / Last Dance. As for being around the seventies, nope, not even a twinkle, as my folks would not even meet until seventy-nine also; I am an eighties-born kid, who also have appreciation of some music going even deeper, having fed my teenage years on Jammin' Oldies and Classic Soul radio.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 05-18-2012 at 10:53 AM.

And unlike this brood of reality TV "stars" [[Kim Kardashian and Jordin) Miss Donna didn't run to every talk show and fan magazine blabbing that she had cancer and giving monthly updates on her condition. No sir..........she kept it to herself and left this world with her dignity intact. A class act all the way.

Miss Summer is now with her beloved Lord and Savior.

Roberta

Did anybody else notice that in the Headline to this thread that Donna's last name is spelled wrong? This was often the case where people added an "s" to the end. Her first husband was Sommer and Donna divorced him and changed her name to Summer [[Singular).
    Hope that when it is the time for our dear Martha to pass, that the Headline doesn't to read "Martha Reeve" or when it's Diana's time, it doesn't appear as "Diana Rose"

Did anybody else notice that in the Headline to this thread that Donna's last name is spelled wrong? This was often the case where people added an "s" to the end. Her first husband was Sommer and Donna divorced him and changed her name to Summer [[Singular).
    Hope that when it is the time for our dear Martha to pass, that the Headline doesn't to read "Martha Reeve" or when it's Diana's time, it doesn't appear as "Diana Rose"

Please, please, please don't mention Martha Reeves passing. I can't comprehend it and although I know Miss Martha is a sister in Christ and will go straight to heaven, it will break my heart not to have this woman physically here on earth.

I love Martha Reeves so very much.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    In case you may have forgotten, LET ME REFRESH YOUR MEMORY SO YOU CAN STFU.

Donna Summer starred in the movie "Thank God, It's Friday", performing her classic, "Last Dance". The song would go on to win a Grammy as Best Song in 1979. For those that don't remember, Diana's "Lovin, Livin' and Givin'" was also included on the soundtrack. Why? BECAUSE THE STUDIO INVOLVED IN THE MOVIE WAS MOTOWN PRODUCTIONS.

Jesus. Have a little respect for the dead.
    good answer and well remembered!

Donna Summer On the Radio Again

It's a topic that's impossible to ignore when discussing the accomplishments of Donna Summer, who died Thursday of cancer: Why is the legendary singer not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
    Following her death yesterday [[May 17) at 63, radio is remembering legendary disco diva Donna Summer.

Detections of Summer's songs on all monitored U.S. terrestrial radio stations monitored by Nielsen BDS on the day prior to her passing totaled a mere 145. Yesterday, after news of her death began breaking around 11 a.m. ET, plays of her music swelled exponentially to 2,015.

Here is a recap of Summer's 10 most-played songs yesterday, according to BDS:

408, "Last Dance"
    290, "She Works Hard for the Money"
    289, "Bad Girls"

236, "On the Radio"
    233, "Hot Stuff"
    117, "Heaven Knows"
    109, "Dim All the Lights"
    89, "Love to Love You Baby"
    86, "MacArthur Park"
    64, "I Feel Love"

Satellite broadcaster Sirius XM's '70s on 7 and Studio 54 Radio channels announced Summer's death shortly after the first news reports surfaced yesterday and followed with a live two-and-a-half hour call-in tribute on Studio 54 Radio, hosted by air talent Geronimo.

Since, Studio 54 Radio has been mixing Summer's songs with clips of archived interviews that she gave at Sirius XM. The feature, dubbed "Donna Summer: In Her Own Words," will run hourly through the weekend.

"The outpouring of emotions from callers has been overwhelming," Geronimo says. "Calls came from all over the country and from people who knew [[Summer's) music globally. One call came from Tampa, but the caller had first heard her in Germany, where her career started."

In her hometown of Boston, Summer's music has also been spotlighted since her passing, with CBS Radio-owned classic hits WODS [[103.3) among one of five stations nationally that played "Last Dance" the most yesterday [[five spins). The station devoted its entire 7 p.m. hour last night to Summer's smashes.

"Donna Summer's songs are a huge part of the sound of WODS and Boston," says Joe Cortese, the station's assistant program director/music director. "She is loved in her hometown."

Sundays nights beginning at 7, WODS airs longtime syndicated specialty show "The Lost 45s," hosted by Barry Scott. This weekend, the program, which specializes in bringing back "songs you never thought you'd hear on the radio again," will replay interview clips from Summer's four appearances on the show, as well as such rarities as the original rock-leaning demo of "Bad Girls." [[The Casablanca record label wanted Cher to record the song, but Summer declined, instead wanting it as a single of her own, according to Scott. Smart move: "Bad Girls" became the longest-reigning of Summer's four Billboard Hot 100 No. 1s, leading the list for five weeks in 1979.)

"To call Donna Summer the 'Queen of Disco' does her a great disservice," Scott says. "As one of the biggest-selling artists of the '70s, she truly transcended that genre, which enabled her to continue to have hits into the '80s and beyond." Summer reached No. 3 in 1983 with "She Works Hard for the Money" and No. 7 in 1989 with "This Time I Know It's for Real."

[[Fellow CBS Radio classic hits station WCBS [[101.1) New York ran an interview montage this morning in which Summer recalled the inspiration for "Money." She wrote the song after noticing that a bathroom attendant at a Grammy Awards party had fallen asleep from exhaustion. "'She works hard for the money'," Summer remembered thinking at the time.)

"Summer was one of that era's few successful African-American female singer/songwriters," Scott notes. "She put searing guitars on 'Hot Stuff' years before Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' and gave us tunes that are still lyrically memorable, as well as danceable.

"That Summer possessed one of the best voices of the rock era should also not go unnoticed," Scott says. "She could easily hold her own singing with Barbra Streisand." The pair topped the Hot 100 for two weeks in 1979 with "No More Tears [[Enough Is Enough)."

"As an artist, Summer captured the '70s dance era more than any other act [[except maybe the Bee Gees). But, just listen to one of the ballads on her 'Bad Girls' album and you'll realize how much more there was to her," Scott says.

"Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: shame on you. Donna Summer made rock lovers enjoy dance music, if but for a brief time. That's talent. She gave us 'unconditional love' and will be missed."

In the obituary that appeared in The New York Times today [ full article -- http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/18/ar...it_th_20120518 ]

There are some statements from the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Sh[[Fame) :

Jon Landau, the chairman of the nominating committee at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, also issued a statement — an unusual one in which he said it was unfortunate that the hall had never inducted her.“There is absolutely no doubt that the extraordinary Donna Summer belongs in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,” Mr. Landau wrote. “Regrettably, despite being nominated on a number of occasions, our voting group has failed to recognize her — an error I can only hope is finally and permanently rectified next year.”

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Please, please, please don't mention Martha Reeves passing. I can't comprehend it and although I know Miss Martha is a sister in Christ and will go straight to heaven, it will break my heart not to have this woman physically here on earth.

I love Martha Reeves so very much.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta
    Roberta, I meant no offense. I know how much she means to you. Just as Diana Ross and Donna Summer mean so much to me. I think if people, indeed, respect these artists, the least they can do is get their name right. My point was just that it is not Marvin Gay, but Marvin Gaye. Not Barry Gordy, but Berry Gordy. When someone has been in the public eye since the mid-1970s, why do people still get their name wrong? Believe me, I hope that Diana and Martha will be here for many, many years to come. Take care, Roberta.

Roberta, I meant no offense. I know how much she means to you. Just as Diana Ross and Donna Summer mean so much to me. I think if people, indeed, respect these artists, the least they can do is get their name right. My point was just that it is not Marvin Gay, but Marvin Gaye. Not Barry Gordy, but Berry Gordy. When someone has been in the public eye since the mid-1970s, why do people still get their name wrong? Believe me, I hope that Diana and Martha will be here for many, many years to come. Take care, Roberta.
    I know you didn't my sweet angel and I thank you for your response.

Bless you zan157 and have a beautiful weekend.

Fondly,

Roberta

Here is the statement released by Barbra Streisand in response to the passing of Donna -

http://barbra-archives.com/news/index.html

In the obituary that appeared in The New York Times today [ full article -- http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/18/ar...it_th_20120518 ]

There are some statements from the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Sh[[Fame) :

Jon Landau, the chairman of the nominating committee at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, also issued a statement — an unusual one in which he said it was unfortunate that the hall had never inducted her.“There is absolutely no doubt that the extraordinary Donna Summer belongs in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,” Mr. Landau wrote. “Regrettably, despite being nominated on a number of occasions, our voting group has failed to recognize her — an error I can only hope is finally and permanently rectified next year.”

For years, people championed for Donna to be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. SMH. It's a shame to me that Donna hasn't been honored like she should. Matter of fact, has she EVER received any kind of award or tribute highlighting her career achievements? I don't recall.

there must be the ability of the forum manager to correct Donna's last name in the title PLEASE !!!
    Dignity & Respect!!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyLuv64 View Post
    For years, people championed for Donna to be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. SMH. It's a shame to me that Donna hasn't been honored like she should. Matter of fact, has she EVER received any kind of award or tribute highlighting her career achievements? I don't recall.
    Simple; RRHOF does not like disco. If they were not so selective on such, and inducted on whether they truly deserve it, based on overall mark on music, I am most certain Donna Summer and Chic would be there ages ago.

donna Summer

Donna Summer R.I.P. You gave the world the music we still dance to . The music was so hot ,all the world got up at the clubs and danced to it. When we got home we made love to it. Thank You Donna Summer you gave the world so much. You are cherished and always remembered. And the world will keep dancing to your music.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Simple; RRHOF does not like disco. If they were not so selective on such, and inducted on whether they truly deserve it, based on overall mark on music, I am most certain Donna Summer and Chic would be there ages ago.
    I believe that since the RRHOF must also rely on the public for support and survival, that the public should have more input on which artists are inducted! If they were to allow more public input then artists like Donna Summer, the Guess Who, Rare Earth, Marv Johnson, the Marvelettes, Dee Dee Sharp would be inducted by now.

It is very unfortunate that there isn't an inclusive Pop Music Hall of Fame with some credibility. All we have is the R n R HOF and then some smaller, not highly visible Halls of Fame.

The big inclusive Hall of Fame where we recognize those music stars that made an indelible stamp on the world of music would have Donna Summer in it first off.