[REMOVE ADS]

A look at the most iconic diva performances in Central Park's long history

With the release of Diana Ross’s Live in Central Park DVD, a look at the most iconic diva performances in Central Park’s long history.
    May 15, 2012By: Alex Erikson.
    [[Diana Ross in Central Park in 1983)

It’s no secret that New York is a mecca for top-notch performances. Whether it’s a club on the Lower Lower East Side, a mega club in Midtown or a free concert in Central Park, our standards are high. Tonight at Therapy, Dustin Fitzharris celebrates the epitome of our high expectations with a DVD release party for Diana Ross Live in Central Park, with Broadway actress Natalie Joy Johnson performing and DJ Chuck McTague spinning Ross’s hits. When it comes to the divas that have performed free concerts in the park, though, these five top our list.

1. Diana Ross, 1983
    Manhattan went into near meltdown the week [[July 21 and 22, specifically) that Ms. Ross danced her way onto the Central Park stage in 1983. Crowds of well over half a million [[some reports suggest over one million) swelled to see the songstress, only to have the first concert cut short by what seemed like falling buckets of water and tornado-force winds. In the DVD you can hear the nervousness in Ross’ voice as she realizes they may have a bit of a disaster on their hands, but the diva made a valiant effort to continue the show, telling the soaked audience “It took me a lifetime to get here. I’m not going anywhere.” Mother Nature won out that day, but on the next she was able finish her set without any weather-related interruptions, much to our delight.

2. Barbra Streisand, 1967
    Babs put on the first of the Central Park diva concerts on June 17, 1967. It may not have been quite as much of a human stampede as Ross’s rain-soaked 1983 performance, but the 25-year-old Streisand did corral an audience of over 130,000 onlookers onto the Park’s Great Lawn. The 16-song setlist later aired as a TV special and sold as a live disc that’s since been certified gold.

3. Elton John, 1980
    Okay, so Elton doesn’t exactly fit the traditional definition of a diva, but girlfriend was serving some serious face when she got on the Great Lawn stage on September 13, 1980 in a military-inspired piano-themed suit and cap to play what some call his best concert ever. The crowd at the free concert was at an estimated 400,000—rumors had swirled that John Lennon might show up—making it the second largest in Central Park concert history. Elton sat behind a white grand piano to play hits like “Benny and the Jets” and “Saturday Night’s Alright [[For Fighting).”

4. Carole King, 1973/2009
    In 1973 Carole King also took to the Central Park stage for a free concert that saw swarms of up to 100,000. More recently, the lauded singer/songwriter returned to the Great Lawn to play a show with the Counting Crows, Alison Kraus, Gavin DeGraw and Jose Feliciano. We weren’t even thought of yet in 1973, but our head for nostalgia tells us the ’70s concert was probably the better of the two.

5. The Supremes, 1970
    Diana Ross gave her final performance with The Supremes on January 14, 1970 at The Frontier Hotel in Las Vegas. That summer the group, then helmed by Jean Terrell, played an intimate concert [[with less than 10,000 in attendance) as part of a long-running concert series sponsored by F+M Schaefer Brewing Company at the Wollman Skating Rink. Tickets were a whopping $2.

Diana Ross Live in Central Park DVD Release Party at Therapy, 348 W 52nd St [[btwn Eighth/Ninth Aves), May 15 at 9pm; free. Visit dianarossfanevents.com for more info.

Attachment 4891

The "thing" blowing in the wind.

The Second Disc
    Expanded and Remastered Music News
    Review: Diana Ross, “Live in Central Park”
    leave a comment »

The hair is the first thing you notice when Diana Ross emerges from a troupe of grass skirt-clad dancers on stage at Central Park in New York City on July 21, 1983. Miss Ross, as she’s gotten older, is easily distinguished for that dark, curly mane, like a proud lioness. But while her hair was as resplendent as usual on this night, it was…askew.

Musicologists and hardcore Diana fans know why without any explanation: Ross’ Central Park concert had the unfortunate circumstance of being schedule the same night a torrent of wind and rain blanketed the city. The ensuing concert special, airing on Showtime, captured a beautiful, almost surreal night, with Ross’ unique powerhouse persona – slender limbs outstretched to the sky, gleaming grin winding up a near-hysterical audience – as New York’s first line of defense against Mother Nature.

The incredible battle of wills, which crescendoed into an early end to the first concert and a quickly scheduled follow-up show on the following, drier night, has finally been captured on DVD. Diana Ross: Live in Central Park [[Shout! Factory 826663-13128) is a heck of a collectible for her fan base, but does a pretty astounding job of crossing over into essential viewing for soul and R&B enthusiasts in general.

Diana Ross’ post-Supremes packaging may not be for everyone. Sometimes, it felt she vacillated too easily between soothing soul goddess and Norma Desmond-ish diva. [[For younger readers, this is, not surprisingly, sort of how Michael Jackson carried himself, too.) But that almost obstinate resistance came in handy as the ’80s dawned, first with the release of the excellent, CHIC-produced diana in 1980 [[on which Ross sounded as spirited as she had in the ’60s, with a decidedly modern twist), and then with the Central Park special Diana: For One and For All.

The 47-minute program, broadcast live to satellite on Showtime in the U.S., has the then-39-year-old star all but laughing in the face of the elements. She urges calm among her audience, and doesn’t shy away from anything. She insists on extending an onstage ramp to get closer to the crowd, and refuses to retreat from the increasing downpour. [[The affable commentary on the special by Cable ACE-winning director Steve Binder only serves to perpetuate the idea that Diana’s attitude came less from a “come see about me” mindset and more from a need to entertain her fans.)

Funnily enough, the power of the rain-shortened concert almost makes the next night’s sunny full show an afterthought. But Diana’s energy hasn’t let up in the 24-hour gap between shows. [[Another small treat for nostalgists: the recap of the previous show that starts the full feature, complete with clips of vintage New York newscasts.) Though the first third is ripe with the same emotional beats as the night before, the full show also gives us stellar performances of “I’m Coming Out” and “Upside Down,” as well as some choice covers [[Michael Sembello’s “Maniac,” Stevie Wonder’s “Ribbon in the Sky,” a slight but spirited run-through on Michael Jackson’s “Beat It”).

It’s hard to complain about having Diana Ross: Live in Central Park to add to our collections. [[The transfer, it should be noted, is pretty great, with only a few artifacts toward the end of the original special and a clear transfer on the full concert.) If a little “love shower” couldn’t stop Miss Ross from putting on a hell of a show…well, who are we to argue?

One of the most historic moments in entertainment history spawned from the loins of Motown and The Black American Experience. Diana Ross broke barriers as a Supreme and continued as a solo. She became the first black actress to host The Academy Awards - after just one film. THAT'S a star. That is not the result of favoritism, nor luck. A half million people stood in the rain to witness this event. THAT'S a star. An Icon. She's special. Unique. There may be other singers with other gifts, but no singer, black or white, has had the global impact that Diana has had in film, stage, song, fashion and let's face it, our culture.

^I hadn't even known that Diana was a host for the Academy Awards until I stumbled upon an article. I wish there was some footage from that awards ceremony. Diana is fortunate to have experienced so many different milestones in her career.

It is cool that Elton John and the Supremes made this list.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyLuv64 View Post
    ^I hadn't even known that Diana was a host for the Academy Awards until I stumbled upon an article. I wish there was some footage from that awards ceremony. Diana is fortunate to have experienced so many different milestones in her career.
    Yes she did, don't remember what year, but like in her concerts, she changed dress very often in the evening.

she was one of four hosts in 1974;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/46th_Academy_Awards

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    she was one of four hosts in 1974;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/46th_Academy_Awards
    She also was one of multiple hosts in 1986, I believe. It was the same ceremony where she sang I JUST CALLED TO SAY I LOVE YOU.

1986 again??? I dont recall that one. Probably because my kids were 1 and 3 and and I didn't listen to any music or watch any TV...............I just played Dad.