[REMOVE ADS]

R.I.P. Belita Woods

I just got a call informing me that Belita Woods passed away about an hour ago from an apparent heart attack.

I loved her work with Ollie McLaughlin, as well as her work with Brainstorm.

My sincere condolences to her family, friends & fans.

Belita Karen Woods - R.I.P.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 05-14-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Oh my heart is heavy right now. R.I.P lovely Belita.

Timmy,

Indeed!

Belita was behind some of my favorite music from "This Must Be Heaven", to "We're On Our Way Home", to "Lovin' Is Really My Game" to "Hot For You". It was years later somewhere in the late 80s when I discovered "My Magic Corner" or one of those Solid Smoke reissues of Ollie McLaughlin material on Moira & Karen.

I just checked my e-mail & as I understand that some prefer a little more confirmation that a phone call, as it's likely that this won't be reported in mainstream news just yet, here's a statement from Billy Wilson & The Motown Alumni Association...

"I am in tremendous sorrow over the death of our close friend Belita Woods [[former lead singer of Parliaments Funkadelics and Brainstorm. She died less than 1 1/2 hours ago. She died of apparent heart failure.
    Belita Karen Woods Born: October 23, 1948 died: May 14, 2012

No funeral information is available yet. But when there is... I will let everyone know."

Billy Wilson

Motown Alumni Association

Bettye got the call from Pat Lewis a couple of hours ago. Sadly, it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Timmy,

Indeed!

Belita was behind some of my favorite music from "This Must Be Heaven", to "We're On Our Way Home", to "Lovin' Is Really My Game" to "Hot For You". It was years later somewhere in the late 80s when I discovered "My Magic Corner" or one of those Solid Smoke reissues of Ollie McLaughlin material on Moira & Karen.
    And she was a vital member of Parliament-Funkadelic family since 1992, prominently featured on albums like TAPOAFOM and "How Late...". I can't begin to tell you how heavy my heart is right now.

Oh my gosh! I am truly shocked. Did have the pleasure of talking to her during the TAPOAFOM autograph signing in Rasputin Records in Berkeley
    The cd wasn't even out yet but we prepaid it and got the cd insert sleeve covers to have it signed.
    While signing it, Belita was checking the artwork for the first time.
    Thanks for your kindness Belita and God bless your soul
    Last edited by P-Shark: The Revenge; 05-14-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    Oh my gosh! I am truly shocked. Did have the pleasure of talking to her during the TAPOAFOM
    The cd wasn't even out yet but we prepaid it and got the cd insert sleeve covers to have it signed.
    While signing it, Belita was checking the artwork for the first time.
    Thanks for your kindness Belita and God bless your soul
    Got her to sign two Brainstorm albums for me the last time I saw her. She seemed genuinely appreciative of the fact that people still dug Brainstorm. That women never came at me with any kind of negativity. Always made you feel like you knew her for years. The phrase 'down to earth' doesn't even come close.

Sad news...she was an incredibly talented lady...RIP, Belita, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

Timmy

Thank you for pointing out her P-Funk connection, don't know how I forgot to mention that.

I thought that I'd have gotten the chance to meet her during one of my trips to Detroit. Unfortunately, I never did.

It would've been nice to be able to give her a thanks for being one of the voices on more than a few records that were a big part of my youth. I forgot to give her a shout-out for her performance on Brainstorm's remake of Stevie's "Everytime I See You I Go Wild".

I wasn't able to attend the benefit for her last June, but I was really hoping that she was getting stronger & would be back into the swing of things.

EDIT---I apologize, I meant to say that her benefit was last May.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 05-14-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Timmy

Thank you for pointing out her P-Funk connection, don't know how I forgot to mention that.

I thought that I'd have gotten the chance to meet her during one of my trips to Detroit. Unfortunately, I never did.

It would've been nice to be able to give her a thanks for being one of the voices on more than a few records that were a big part of my youth. I forgot to give her a shout-out for her performance on Brainstorm's remake of Stevie's "Everytime I See You I Go Wild".

I wasn't able to attend the benefit for her last June, but I was really hoping that she was getting stronger & would be back into the swing of things.

EDIT---I apologize, I meant to say that her benefit was last May.
    All the more reason why I cherished any and every moment I've spent with her.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Got her to sign two Brainstorm albums for me the last time I saw her. She seemed genuinely appreciative of the fact that people still dug Brainstorm. That women never came at me with any kind of negativity. Always made you feel like you knew her for years. The phrase 'down to earth' doesn't even come close.
    Yeah she had a great spirit. I've been thinking of all the traveling that P-Funk has done and what effect it has on their health. Rushing from one gig to another with little sleep.

Timmy

For me, she's one of the few whom has gotten away. From the way that you & P-Shark have described her, she sounds like yet another musical icon of my youth whom I'd have enjoyed getting to know.

P-Shark

I should've known that you would beat me to it. Thanks.
    As for me, here's my favorite Belita performance...

By the way guys, would there be a live performance of the above floating around somewhere out there?

That I'm not sure of Juice. I will be digging into my own archives to launch my own tribute to get me through the night.

RIP to a very talented Lady, GT called and told me today. I'm simply outdone.

Timmy:

Thanks, I know if it's out there you or P-Shark will dig it up!

Paladin:

I've been thinking about this for awhile & I think that situations such as this is one of the sadder parts of meeting & getting to know our musical icons.

I never got to meet Belita & am sorry about that but had I done so, unfortunately she'd be a part of what's sadly become a ever-growing list of childhood icons whom have left us much too soon.

I'm going to go through my pictures one of these days & create a thread honoring them & sadly, it looks like there's going to be a lot of pictures from 2004 to date.

Thanks P-Shark,

Now would you know of a live version of "This Must Be Heaven"?

I know that I'm grabbing at rainbows here but...

uptight Guest
    I been listening to Brainstorm a lot the past few years. And I remember when their records came out. So sorry to hear about her passing. I wish I had met her. May God bless her soul.

Man, P-Funk like so many bands I grew up with are just disappearing before my eyes. RIP Belita and thanks so much for the music.

Unhappy

I really loved her vocals on Every Time I See You, I Go Wild! from Journey To The Light.

Really the entire album.

Sad news..R.I.P.

Damn....
    Just damn....
    RIP, Belita...

By the way guys, would there be a live performance of the above floating around somewhere out there?
    This Must Be Heaven is one of my favorite songs. Can't find a live performance but her is a live version of the song by Lamont Johnson, former bassist, singer, arranger & composer of Brainstorm. It is from his second solo album. It includes Original Brainstorm members Trenita Womack & Belita Woods on vocals, percussion & flute.

Paladin:

I've been thinking about this for awhile & I think that situations such as this is one of the sadder parts of meeting & getting to know our musical icons.

Most recently I felt that way about Ali Woodson.

This is another big one. Belita was one of the truly great and underrated vocalists. Her's was one that had that Detroit feel all the way. She was hugely popular in the city and elsewhere. I extend my condolences to her family, friends and fans of which I am eternally one....

RIP Belita

Marv

Wasn' t she the great uncredited vocalist on Ron Banks magnificent version of " Make it easy on yourself " on his " Truly bad " Lp ?

P-Shark

I should've known that you would beat me to it. Thanks.
    As for me, here's my favorite Belita performance...

A masterpiece! This was actually like an anthem in the Detroit-Toledo area during that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Amithesameboy View Post
    Wasn' t she the great uncredited vocalist on Ron Banks magnificent version of " Make it easy on yourself " on his " Truly bad " Lp ?
    You that is a good question because I always believed that was Belita on there with Ron.

yes.......

Amithesameboy & Paladin,

Thank you for that info because I never knew that. I never got around to consulting the liner notes on that LP.

Paladin, re. Ali... I met him a few times in Detroit & here at a couple of shows. I can't say that I knew him well, but he was always cool & always friendly to me.

The late Amy Winehouse's entire vocal style [[see Tears Dry On Their Own) is straight out of Belita Woods 101!

Amithesameboy & Paladin,

Thank you for that info because I never knew that. I never got around to consulting the liner notes on that LP.

Paladin, re. Ali... I met him a few times in Detroit & here at a couple of shows. I can't say that I knew him well, but he was always cool & always friendly to me.
    And had you got around to consulting them you would have been none the wiser as she was uncredited on the LP ! A bad omission.

Quote Originally Posted by Amithesameboy View Post
    And had you got around to consulting them you would have been none the wiser as she was uncredited on the LP ! A bad omission.
    I bought the album as soon as it came out. My brother thought it was Millie Scott, I said it sounded like Belita. I loved her voice.

When I went into a record store [[who specializes in oldies) to find Lovin is Really My Game they were out of it. I was told more people came in the store asking for that 12 inch which went for 100.00 at the time than any other record. Great voice on her. RIP

Truly sad that she had to leave so soon, rest in peace sweet voice. Many good memories in my life comming from listening to you, singing from your heart.