[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    smark21 Guest
    My understanding is that for the Bill Wyman Rhythm Kings show, Mary is not the opening act, but part of the troupe and comes on to sing with the band several times.

Guys, just ignore Motown Maniac. The name suits him well, because that's exactly what he is [[lol). It's sad when people on a message board like to try and re-write history. At the end of the day, we all know how important Mary has been to The Supremes and it would be ridiculous to try and argue otherwise.

I know for a fact that Mary is on the move and has things in the works. Everyone will see these things come to fruition very soon and hopefully it will silence the haters once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Guys, just ignore Motown Maniac. The name suits him well, because that's exactly what he is [[lol). It's sad when people on a message board like to try and re-write history. At the end of the day, we all know how important Mary has been to The Supremes and it would be ridiculous to try and argue otherwise.

I know for a fact that Mary is on the move and has things in the works. Everyone will see these things come to fruition very soon and hopefully it will silence the haters once and for all.
    Carlo keep telling the truth. I can't even understand Motown Maniac. He strays too far from the subject of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I can't even understand Motown Maniac. He strays too far from the subject of the thread.
    Exactly. This discussion was going well in the beginning and once again someone had to throw in irrelevant negative criticism to get everyone off topic. This person was clearly only trying to create drama.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    My understanding is that for the Bill Wyman Rhythm Kings show, Mary is not the opening act, but part of the troupe and comes on to sing with the band several times.
    You have the correct understanding. Mary is a very integral part of that act, tour. She has received great reviews for her performances that we just don't post here .

Motown maniac you really are talking BS, bashing Mary for the sake of it and clearly have your facts WRONG. As a uk resident I can happily correct your incorrect post . Mary headlined with no other 'oldies' except the chi lites who were HER opening act a 6 week Uk tour last year. That's HEADLINED...... Plenty of press, tv and radio. The promoters obviously think she'd still got it. On the Rhythm Kings tour she was Bills guest not opening act and performed in the first and second half as well as the finale. She got excellent reviews in the uk press which can been found on line. Next time get your facts correct.... Or speak to someone who was there.

Oh and no one is buying a ticket with Mary's name on it? I bought 7 on the last uk tour and went to the show seven times.i only went to see rhythm kings as Mary was on that tour and went three times. So again you are incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Exactly. It's sophomoric and there are awkward moments when cues are off, Mary is late, film doesn't start. The worst part is that Mary is nothing like Lena Horne and sounds nothing like her. It may just as well be Reba or Jennifer Holiday doing her part.

Also annoying is Mary now claiming how she and Lena were good friends. There is nothing to suggest that in her books, but now, she is claiming how close they were - like she did Whitney while drunk on the red carpet at a benefit in March.. It's shameless and desperate. I hope Mary gets a local, long term gig in Vegas, or, patches things up with Diane. The best thing for The Supremes is to get back with Ross. Then, any Supreme who wanted to work would be able to. As Ross gets older, she might welcome such a show so that she doesnt have to do 2 hours alone. Mary would need to smooth things over, though.
    Mary Wilson and Lena were very good friends! Ever hear of the social club, "BRAVO". It was a sorority like club founded in Hollywood in the late 60's. Mary Wilson, Dionne Warwick, Leslie Uggams, Nancy Wilson, Judy Pace, Lola Falana etc etc were founding members. Guess who was the Den Mother? That's right, Lena Horne! She acted as mentor Mary and all of those ladies. You need to know what you are talking about before post. She's known Whitney since Whitney was a kid. It takes two to patch things up. I think that is where your problem lies when it comes to Mary Wilson. We see through you and your negative comments!

Marv--has Sheryl Lee Ralph been part of the group?

I am as fan of all Supremes, but I'm objective. Only Diana was essential because they reason they got signed was her. Berry had no interest in Mary or Flo or Betty, but to his credit, he was correct. His vision of what Diana could become was accurate as history has proven. Mary and Flo certainly were the best background singers, but like many have said, the story of The Supremes would have been essentially the same with Diana and any two girls. Flo was a lot more popular than Mary, but she had her admirers and still does. Yes, she stayed with the group until she decided to go solo, but I think Motown would have kept the group going even if Mary had left earlier. There was always money to be made on the name until 1978 when they could no longer triple dip into their groups performance fees. The company's fortunes dropped dramatically when this occurred.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

I think you'll find many who disagree with you on this. If you say Mary's membership was hardly essential to the group's success then I guess Diana, Florence, Barbara, Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye's membership were hardly essential either. If it wasn't for Mary, the Supremes' story would be drastically different especially after Diana left. If Diana was the voice of the Supremes then Mary was certainly its heart.

And for one who claims they are a big fan of Mary, you are certainly very critical of her.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Marv--has Sheryl Lee Ralph been part of the group?
    No not that particular group as it was about a decade before Sheryl Lee came on the scene. She put together her own loose knit group from her own charity that raises funds for AIDS.

I am as fan of all Supremes, but I'm objective. Only Diana was essential because they reason they got signed was her. Berry had no interest in Mary or Flo or Betty, but to his credit, he was correct. His vision of what Diana could become was accurate as history has proven. Mary and Flo certainly were the best background singers, but like many have said, the story of The Supremes would have been essentially the same with Diana and any two girls. Flo was a lot more popular than Mary, but she had her admirers and still does. Yes, she stayed with the group until she decided to go solo, but I think Motown would have kept the group going even if Mary had left earlier. There was always money to be made on the name until 1978 when they could no longer triple dip into their groups performance fees. The company's fortunes dropped dramatically when this occurred.
    Berry Gordy never told you anything like that. It is clear that you do not even know or understand the relationships involved here. We don't need anymore made up stuff by someone that was no where near Detroit! LOL!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-17-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Company's fortunes? 1978? what are you talking about and what does it have to do with Mary singing "Send Him to Me"?
    Last edited by marv2; 05-17-2012 at 10:19 PM.

I see. I thought Sheryl became a part of it later on.

It took a few plays for it to grow on me, but I really like "Send Him to Me" now.

uptight Guest
    Yes, it takes a few plays. That's why a better mix of the tune will make it even better. Let's hope it will make its way onto an official CD release soon.

Please no negativaty,Mary Wilson has been singing and intertaining us all her life,and doing a great job,so lets enjoy her,and not let a negative person,get to us,becaues that's what they want to do,i just love Mary Wilson LOL
    and again,Please Stay Positive

Motown Maniac;
    I do believe Ross was essential to the group [[like any lead singer would be) but to discount Mary and Flo is not historically correct. I dont think Ross would have made it with two other women. The Supremes had 3 different distinct personalities and although it may not have come across on record on film and stage shows something like that is crucial to the success of a group. Remember when Ross and Gordy were waiting to make her a solo act and he told Ross that she had to wait because he said "nobody knows who you are". He had to put her name out front to make her distinctive. Truth be told if any of them had to make it on personality and fans alone it would have been Florence. Of course Ross had a more distinctive voice but after More Hits by the Supremes and their names on that album people in regular households knew who they were.

When Ross went solo her career didnt bust like the Jean led Supremes in the beginning it took a little time [[no pun intended on Ross solo single with that title). I dont know why people feel like people dont know who Mary Wilson is and I have never understood why she has felt that way. When the group was Diana Ross and the Supremes people surely knew who Cindy Birdsong was and she was not featured as much as Mary was throughout the years.

I personally like this record and with a better mix I think it would have sold. Mary may not have a distinct voice but she is a solid live performer when she is singing her own songs. Just become someone is not filling arenas doesnt mean that they cant make a living. I know some of Marys shows have had comp tickets but most of them dont people are willing to pay her and see her and a lot of them are the same people who come to see her every year not because of Diana Ross but because of her Supreme pedigree. Mary in my opinion has gotten to be a much better performer now than she was 20 years ago and has branded herself very well. I dont know if her agent is getting her these shows or her friends but even Willie Nelson
    [[and I know this for a fact) because of the economy has had to lower HIS fee for performances because of what people are willing to pay now. I dont know what Mary is making but people are coming to see her and she gives a solid performance especially on ballads and her 70s Supremes work. I have seen her live several times and at Blues Alley here in DC, and when it was open a club called Antons and Im telling you people stay for the second show and pay for it. Diana was essential but you couldnt put Gladys Horton and Roz or Annette behind the Supremes and said they would have made it. I love Martha Reeves but her backgrounds were crucial to their success like the Funk Bros.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I missed that part of the show - I'd love to hear the better vocal as it's an interesting track and one that might have worked well for her. Did Deke do it?
    good call about deke,supremester.it sounds like this track could have come off the chris clark lp cc rides again on the weed label!

love this track btw,hope there is more of this stuff out there somewhere,havent a clue what motownmaniacs on about tho'.
    Last edited by tamla617; 05-18-2012 at 03:21 PM.

LOL,the hater won't STOP,too FUNNY
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    LOL,the hater won't STOP,too FUNNY
    Please stay positive
    That is rather funny when we all know it will do him no good! LOL! Yes, by all means, please stay positive!

I see the Motown maniac has chosen to ignore and fail to acknowledge my factual based corrections to his previous posts in this thread.

And if Flo and Mary are/were so indispensable how come when The Supremes turned up at Motown Berry Gordy signed them??? If only Diane mattered why didn't he just offer her a solo contract at the beginning ????????

Fans , flo/Mary haters can spin and diss their contributions to the supremes but no matter how large or small their roles they were an integral part that cannot be dismissed or rewritten and without the supremes miss Ross wouldn't have had her solo career [[which now consists of trading on her past glories as Mary is accused of doing)

mwmr
    spot on,i could never see how they all got a job.berry would have just got diana

SupremeBoy Guest
    The poor thing is drowned out by the guitar.

I think Mary Wilson is an American Treasure and could give a flying cat turd what anyone else thinks....and I ain't changing my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    mwmr
    spot on,i could never see how they all got a job.berry would have just got diana
    Not only that, but they kept Mary Wilson under contract for 16 or 17 years!