[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Funk news brief

Funk news brief

GEORGE CLINTON AND PARLIAMENT-FUNKADELIC
    The Paramount-Huntington, Long Island

Sheer perection on every conceivable level. The venue was only 6 months old, which meant that the sound quality was crisp and clean [[at least for the first half). It took me a while to realize that the show was actually pretty short [[2 1/2 hours). But they stuffed that short time with some true Funk acrobatics. Kendra Foster has returned to the Mothership and ain't lost a beat. Mike Hampton was on point for every solo he took. And the good Dr. Funkenstein possessed the mentality of a marathon runner. One of the more interesting happenings occurred when I was asked to recruit some women from the audience to dance on stage in the middle of "Atomic Dog" [[an assignment that I took a perverse pleasure in). Soon thereafter, the stage was flocked with Huntington's most beautiful Funkateers in training, gyrating and booty shaking like it was 1979. Believe me when I tell you that these brothers and sisters are on fire. No two ways about it.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    GEORGE CLINTON AND PARLIAMENT-FUNKADELIC
    The Paramount-Huntington, Long Island

Sheer perection on every conceivable level. The venue was only 6 months old, which meant that the sound quality was crisp and clean [[at least for the first half). It took me a while to realize that the show was actually pretty short [[2 1/2 hours). But they stuffed that short time with some true Funk acrobatics. Kendra Foster has returned to the Mothership and ain't lost a beat. Mike Hampton was on point for every solo he took. And the good Dr. Funkenstein possessed the mentality of a marathon runner. One of the more interesting happenings occurred when I was asked to recruit some women from the audience to dance on stage in the middle of "Atomic Dog" [[an assignment that I took a perverse pleasure in). Soon thereafter, the stage was flocked with Huntington's most beautiful Funkateers in training, gyrating and booty shaking like it was 1979. Believe me when I tell you that these brothers and sisters are on fire. No two ways about it.
    Timmy! Explain to me how I missed this when I only live 12-15 miles from Huntington? If they did it for 2 and half hours then it definitely was worth seeing! How far [[back) and how deep did they go [[Aqua Boogie?)

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Timmy! Explain to me how I missed this when I only live 12-15 miles from Huntington? If they did it for 2 and half hours then it definitely was worth seeing! How far [[back) and how deep did they go [[Aqua Boogie?)

Marv
    Dude, hit me on private mail.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Dude, hit me on private mail.
    Will Do.......

So.....TFunk, I'm guessing this means you'd be recommending this combo?

Name:  Sample_30.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  20.3 KB

I may just have to catch these two.....for professional reasons, of course

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    So.....TFunk, I'm guessing this means you'd be recommending this combo?

Name:  Sample_30.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  20.3 KB

I may just have to catch these two.....for professional reasons, of course
    Playing at the same venue, but not on the same day? It doesn't take a genius to know that if you put them on a double bill, you'll sell out in seconds. SMH!!!

If they did, The Cubby Bear couldn't hold it. If they put 300 people in there, they'd better hope the Fire Marshall doesn't stop by.

Don't count on Bootsy showing up. From his facebook not too long ago
    William Collins wrote:

FUNKATEER ALERT! For 2 Long Now, Promoters Have Been Saying,"BOOTSY IS DOING DATES SOMEWHERE BEFORE A DEAL HAS BEEN SIGNED. WHEN I DON'T SHOW UP, THE PEOPLE THINK IT IS ALL MY FAULT. WELL FROM NOW ON PEOPLE, IF I DON'T TELL YOU ON TWITTER OR FACEBOOK THAT I AM DOING A DATE; [[DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT). I AM TIRED OF TAKING THE BLAME FOR THESE GREEDY MF THAT PLAY GAMES WITH PEOPLE & I HAVE TO LIVE WITH. IF U DON'T HERE IT FROM ME, THEN IT IS "SHAKEY. LOOK AT THIS THEY ALREADY ADVERTISING & AIN'T NOTHING SIGNED YET:
    http://e2.ma/webview/3zqrb/1eb1a0ae3...a2668803ee7355

Bootsy Collins, Sonny Landreth, Jon McLaughlin, Darrell Scott and more
    e2.ma
    Rams Head On Stage - Weekly E-Newsletter www.ramsheadonstage.com *** Just Announced And On Sale Tuesday at Noon Unless Otherwise Stated Saturday, May 12 The Milk Carton Kids opening for Dar Williams -tickets on sale now- The Milk Carton Kids, a harmonizing, minimalist, americana duo in tradition of ...

Nice review Tim, Uh Chi, I've never been to the Cubby Bear, not my usual type of crowd, how is it as a venue ? I know George and Company have played there before, any suggestions........

Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    Don't count on Bootsy showing up. From his facebook not too long ago
    William Collins wrote:

FUNKATEER ALERT! For 2 Long Now, Promoters Have Been Saying,"BOOTSY IS DOING DATES SOMEWHERE BEFORE A DEAL HAS BEEN SIGNED. WHEN I DON'T SHOW UP, THE PEOPLE THINK IT IS ALL MY FAULT. WELL FROM NOW ON PEOPLE, IF I DON'T TELL YOU ON TWITTER OR FACEBOOK THAT I AM DOING A DATE; [[DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT). I AM TIRED OF TAKING THE BLAME FOR THESE GREEDY MF THAT PLAY GAMES WITH PEOPLE & I HAVE TO LIVE WITH. IF U DON'T HERE IT FROM ME, THEN IT IS "SHAKEY. LOOK AT THIS THEY ALREADY ADVERTISING & AIN'T NOTHING SIGNED YET:
    http://e2.ma/webview/3zqrb/1eb1a0ae3...a2668803ee7355

Bootsy Collins, Sonny Landreth, Jon McLaughlin, Darrell Scott and more
    e2.ma
    Rams Head On Stage - Weekly E-Newsletter www.ramsheadonstage.com *** Just Announced And On Sale Tuesday at Noon Unless Otherwise Stated Saturday, May 12 The Milk Carton Kids opening for Dar Williams -tickets on sale now- The Milk Carton Kids, a harmonizing, minimalist, americana duo in tradition of ...

This message sounds a little too harsh [[not to mention a little vulgar) to be Bootsy. Is this from the William Collins FB page or the William Bootsy Collins FB page.

Haven't heard anything to the contrary from his camp at this point. He's played The Cubby Bear several times in the past so he should know what's up.

Palidin, Think The House of Blues gig only smaller. No chairs, bars on the perimeter. The room was really boomy and loud the last time I played there. Part of the tribe has decided to drop down there and check out George tomorrow so I'll have a better idea of what to expect by Friday.

Thanks man.......

He posted the same thing on both pages. I was suspicious of his William Collins page at first but I now believe its legit since it seems to correspond with his other page. I notice lately that Bootsy seems more outspoken, and there is nothing wrong with that. Also as you get older your attitude change. Bootsy's dealing with arthritis pain might be another reason for his harshness. But other than that he's a great humanitarian like raising money for hurricane victims and kids with autism among other things
    FUNKATEER ALERT! For 2 Long Now, Promoters Have Been Saying,"BOOTSY IS DOING DATES SOMEWHERE BEFORE A DEAL HAS BEEN SIGNED. WHEN I DON'T SHOW UP, THE PEOPLE THINK IT IS ALL MY FAULT. WELL FROM NOW ON PEOPLE, IF I DON'T TELL YOU ON TWITTER OR FACEBOOK THAT I AM DOING A DATE; [[DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT). I AM TIRED OF TAKING THE BLAME FOR THESE GREEDY MF THAT PLAY GAMES WITH PEOPLE & I HAVE TO LIVE WITH. IF U DON'T HERE IT FROM ME, THEN IT IS "SHAKEY. LOOK AT THIS THEY ALREADY ADVERTISING & AIN'T NOTHING SIGNED YET:http://e2.ma/webview/3zqrb/1eb1a0ae3...a2668803ee7355Bootsy Collins, Sonny Landreth, Jon McLaughlin, Darrell Scott and moree2.maRams Head On Stage - Weekly E-Newsletter www.ramsheadonstage.com *** Just Announced And On Sale Tuesday at Noon Unless Otherwise Stated Saturday, May 12 The Milk Carton Kids opening for Dar Williams -tickets on sale now- The Milk Carton Kids, a harmonizing, minimalist, americana duo in tradition of ...18Like · · Share
    • 247 people like this.
    • 50 of 80

• William Ramsey Hey Bootsy I would love to have you opinion on my music.April 10 at 3:21pm · Like
      • William "Bootsy" Collins YEP AT OUR EXPENSE, I AIN'T GONE BE THE FALL GUY NO MOE. TAKIN' IT BACK TO THE STREETS ON UM, FUNK UM! THIS IS THERE WAY OF FORCING ME TO DO A DATE BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS MY FAULT IF I DON'T SHOW UP. WELL, I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW WHERE AND WHEN I WILL BE ANYWHERE. THIS IS THE WAY THIS WILL GO. SUCKA'S TAKE NICE FOR BEING A CHUMP. FUNK UM!April 10 at 3:22pm · Like · 12
    Last edited by P-Shark: The Revenge; 05-09-2012 at 10:01 PM.

I'm going to contact band members through FB and see what the real deal is.

Well T-Funk, I have to hand it to ya. You were definitely on the ONE this time. Clinton managed to squeeze the entire Funk Mob [[somewhere between 16 & 20 members) on to the slight stage of Wrigleyville's Cubby Bear for a certified throw down that, at times, rivaled the days of yore.

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the stage though. While us audience members [[almost 400 folks) were waiting for the club doors to open, a baby Funkateer who looked to be in his late twenties to early thirties, asked me had I seen P-Funk before [[this was his first time)? Yeah, I think I remember it; December 1977, Hara Arena - Dayton Ohio, last leg of the original P-Funk Earth Tour. Glenn Goins and Jerome Brailey had just left the band, Funkentelechy vs The Placebo Syndrome was less than a month old so the show featured one of the first live performances of Flashlight.

The guy's jaw dropped.

God, I feel old....
    Last edited by chidrummer; 05-12-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Of course the doors opened late, but SURPRISE!!! the band took the stage on time. Now some of you will have to help me with who some of these younger folks are. I hadn't actually been to a P-Funk show in almost ten years and I was missing quite a few folks due to death and personnel changes. Anyway, here goes:
    Attached Images Attached Images                

I'm having trouble editing correctly so I'll just narrate - First, you've got to have your roller skates [[yo yo is optional now). Check out the new GC! Gone are the rainbow colored locks and the beard is black as night. He appropriately dressed for Chicago as an honorary Blues Brother. P-Nut was in the house along with [[no longer Kidd) Michael Hampton. I'm not sure who the second guitar was, but that youngster came as a big surprise. That smile just gave it away - Garrett Shider looking and sounding a lot like his father. He does a great job working One Nation Under a Groove and is a fine guitarist.

next up in the pic parade...

Mike raises a toast to the crowd, then spots my camera, grabs George and mugs mid song[[thanks mike).
    The roller skate owner, Kim Manning on the mike with Trey Lewd.
    Steve Boyd handled several rolls - MC, base vocalists, crowd pleaser
    Cool to see Kendra Foster back on stage despite Sir Noze in the house.
    Don't know who the keyboard player was except that I love the t-shirt.

and finally the last ones....

I'm having trouble editing correctly so I'll just narrate - First, you've got to have your roller skates [[yo yo is optional now). Check out the new GC! Gone are the rainbow colored locks and the beard is black as night. He appropriately dressed for Chicago as an honorary Blues Brother. P-Nut was in the house along with [[no longer Kidd) Michael Hampton. I'm not sure who the second guitar was, but that youngster came as a big surprise. That smile just gave it away - Garrett Shider looking and sounding a lot like his father. He does a great job working One Nation Under a Groove and is a fine guitarist.
    Kim Manning on roller skates.
    Andre Foxx-guitar, looking pretty dapper
    I have to say that I can't make out the guy in the red and black jacket and the GC t-shirt.

Could be Foley, but I can't tell for sure.

Hampton with the double neck BC Rich doin' his Maggot Brain thang.
    GC still Funkin after all these years!
    I notice the crowd's a little different these days, but still just as lively.
    Had to include one artsy moody shot
    and finally another member of the mob I didn't recognize. Can someone help a brother out?

The show itself lasted a little over three hours. The band played some deep cuts - I Want to Know If It's Good to You?, I Bet You, Up For The Down Stroke and Computer Games. The hits were there too - Knee Deep, Flashlight, Tear The Roof Off, One Nation. Nice to see they were still closing with Night of the Thumpasorus People and encoring with Atomic Dog. Got a chance to say a quick friendly boo to GC and Mr. Hampton before disappearing back into the night.
    GC also said that Bootsy was definitely coming next month. If so, I try to make it to that gig as well.

next up in the pic parade...
    Keyboardist is Danny Bedrosian. Damn good keyboard player and singer. Sings his ass off whenever they do "Unfunky UFO".

Hampton with the double neck BC Rich doin' his Maggot Brain thang.
    GC still Funkin after all these years!
    I notice the crowd's a little different these days, but still just as lively.
    Had to include one artsy moody shot
    and finally another member of the mob I didn't recognize. Can someone help a brother out?

The show itself lasted a little over three hours. The band played some deep cuts - I Want to Know If It's Good to You?, I Bet You, Up For The Down Stroke and Computer Games. The hits were there too - Knee Deep, Flashlight, Tear The Roof Off, One Nation. Nice to see they were still closing with Night of the Thumpasorus People and encoring with Atomic Dog. Got a chance to say a quick friendly boo to GC and Mr. Hampton before disappearing back into the night.
    GC also said that Bootsy was definitely coming next month. If so, I try to make it to that gig as well.
    The other light skinned sister doing front ground vocals was Kendra Foster. Too fine for herself.