[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye - The Master 1961-1984 Box sets

Hi!

Are there any differences between the original box set called "THE MASTER 1961-1984" from 1995 and the reissue from 2004 with the same title? I'm thinking in terms of liner notes, unreleased songs, alternate mixes/versions, and all other sorts of differences you can think of.

Thanks!

Link to 1995 box set: http://www.amazon.com/Marvin-Gaye-Th...6227649&sr=8-1
    Link to 2004 box set: http://www.amazon.com/The-Master-196...6227649&sr=8-5

All I can tell you is that the 1995 box is the original domestic boxed set with original mono single mixes up to 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    All I can tell you is that the 1995 box is the original domestic boxed set with original mono single mixes up to 1972.
    Well, I used to think that too, but it seems they didn't use all mono single mixes, but slipped in some of the mono L.P mixes instead.

"I'll Be Doggone", "One More Heartache", "Ain't That Peculiar" & "Take This Heart Of Mine" are not the 45 mixes.

And it seems that the mix of "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby" is not the 45 mix, as discovered in this thread: -

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...o-single-mixes

But going back to mr_postman's original question, my understanding is the tracks on the 2004 set are identical [[i.e. the same mastering) to the original 1994 box.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 05-06-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    Well, I used to think that too, but it seems they didin't use all mono single mixes, but slipped in some of the mono L.P mixes instead.

"I'll Be Doggone", "One More Heartache", "Ain't That Peculiar" & "Take This Heart Of Mine" are not the 45 mixes.

And it seems that the mix of "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby" is not the 45 mix, as discovered in this thread: -

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...o-single-mixes

But going back to mr_postman's original question, my understanding is the tracks on the 2004 set are identical [[i.e. the same mastering) to the original 1994 box.

Cheers

Paul
    Well, it seems from that thread you linked there are differences between what the U.S. had as the singles mixes and what the U.K. got. I believe you are in the U.K. and I am in the U.S.. Like I said, the box was compiled in the U.S., and Bill Inglot didn't make mistakes on the Motown boxes.

Well, it seems from that thread you linked there are differences between what the U.S. had as the singles mixes and what the U.K. got. I believe you are in the U.K. and I am in the U.S.. Like I said, the box was compiled in the U.S., and Bill Inglot didn't make mistakes on the Motown boxes.
    Yes Soulster, I am in the UK, but the video that Sotosound linked in his intial post is the U.S 45 version and is not the same mix that's on the 'Master' box.

As for the tracks I mentioned, these are not the 45 mixes, as I've compared them to the U.S 45 mixes and not the U.K ones. The U.K often got fold downs and different mixes to the what was issued in the U.S, so I always treat the U.S mixes as the definitive ones, and use them as the point of reference.

IIRC, Bill Inglot didn't compile or master this particular box set.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 05-06-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    Yes Soulster, I am in the UK, but the video that Sotosound linked in his intial post is the U.S 45 version and is not the same mix that's on the 'Master' box.

As for the tracks I mentioned, these are not the 45 mixes, as I've compared them to the U.S 45 mixes and not the U.K ones. The U.K often got fold downs and different mixes to the what was issued in the U.S, so I always treat the U.S mixes as the definitive ones, and use them as the point of reference.

IIRC, Bill Inglot didn't compile or master this particular box set.

Cheers

Paul

My box is in storage so I didn't look. I keep thinking it was Inglot who did that one. My bad! Who did that one, Gary N. Mayo or Joe M. Palmaccio? Danny Cavacco? They were all working for Polygram at the time.

It appaers that YouTube clip is stereo, according to my software. It makes me wonder what the hell is going on. The only way is tor get the actual Tamla 45.
    Last edited by soulster; 05-06-2012 at 06:06 PM.

My box is in storage so I didn't look. I keep thinking it was Inglot who did that one. My bad! Who did that one, Gary N. Mayo or Joe M. Palmaccio? Danny Cavacco? They were all working for Polygram at the time.
    I haven't got my box to hand, but I'm pretty sure it was Gavin Lurssen who did the mastering on that one. I can't remember who complied it though.

I guess as Bill was involved at the start of these reissues, and did a few more, it was an easy mistake to make!

Cheers

Paul

It was Gavin Lurssen and it was compiled by Amy Herot. Regs. Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Thanks Roger!

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    OK. The compiler would just get the list of songs. The producer would demand a certain version or mix. The engineer and/or tape researcher, and sometimes the producer, would get the right tapes. But, it's always the producer's fault if something is wrong. If the producer and the engineer are the same person, that person is at fault.