[REMOVE ADS]

Bettye Lavette: New Biography and New Album

I was just reading an interview that Bettye did in February. Not sure if this has been discussed here already or not? There is a new autobiography on the way that she has written with David Ritz titled, "A Woman Like Me". I noticed it's available for pre-order on Amazon. She also mentioned she has a new album on the way. Looking forward to it! I noticed she's coming to Toronto for a show. I missed her when she was there last year, so I'm going to try to go and see her this time.

Thanks for posting this, Carlo.

Bettye,
    If you read this let me know when its a go and I will post it here. Best of luck. I know the book and the album will be good.

Does Bettye read/post here? I know her husband does...

I think she did a time or two, Carlo, but mostly her husband does the posting. I'm sure Bettye is pretty busy between traveling to shows and performing that she has little time to do any posting here. We're grateful to her husband for keeping us up to date on Bettye's successful career. I have always been thrilled for her success and continue to wish her well. She is a real pro.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I think she did a time or two, Carlo, but mostly her husband does the posting. I'm sure Bettye is pretty busy between traveling to shows and performing that she has little time to do any posting here. We're grateful to her husband for keeping us up to date on Bettye's successful career. I have always been thrilled for her success and continue to wish her well. She is a real pro.
    And the lady has one heck of a voice. I'll definitely buy Ms. Lavette's autobiography.

Thanks for the information dear Carlo.

Best to you,

Roberta

I've helped out Bettye & KK with a few snaps & snippets of info.
    I guess the book project is quite well advanced, though all her touring / live work these days must have slowed it's completion up a bit.

Betty is simply great. Carlo get your tickets now. I'm sure you'll witness a performance that will be indelibly ingrained in your mind. She is not to be missed. Both Betty and Kevin are fantastic people, oh yeah, her band is pure kick azz!

Kdubya

Some websites are showing a release date of this coming Tuesday, May 8th, for something entitled "Boys Are So Mean" or something like that, and it supposedly features Bettye and the Shangri-las, which you have to admit is an odd combination. Does anyone know anything about this release?

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Betty is simply great. Carlo get your tickets now. I'm sure you'll witness a performance that will be indelibly ingrained in your mind. She is not to be missed. Both Betty and Kevin are fantastic people, oh yeah, her band is pure kick azz!

Kdubya
    Thank you. I definitely will try to get my tickets soon. Just curious...does she usually do a meet and greet after her shows?

Thank you. I definitely will try to get my tickets soon. Just curious...does she usually do a meet and greet after her shows?
    I can't say for every case, but most of the time when she appears here in Chicago, she does. I swear she is royalty here. Bettye is one of the most gracious and down to earth performers I've ever met, you give her respect and you get it back, she has a memory like a steel trap and I honestly love the woman. My favorite song by Bettye is called "Closer I get To Heaven". She appeared here once and didn't sing it. After the show I told her that was ok, but nobody could sing that song like you. The very next time she was in Chicago about a year later she sang the song and dedicated it to me, she dam near brought me to tears. Now don't get me wrong, I aint the type of guy that tears up over a song, but once you get to meet Bettye, I'm sure that you'd understand my reaction.

http://www.bettyelavette.com/CD_Rele..._releases.html

Thank you for the info Kdubya!

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    My favorite song by Bettye is called "Closer I get To Heaven". She appeared here once and didn't sing it. After the show I told her that was ok, but nobody could sing that song like you. The very next time she was in Chicago about a year later she sang the song and dedicated it to me, she dam near brought me to tears.
    Wow!!! That must have been an awesome moment.

Its one that I'll never forget. There's another caveat to this short story, I was busy making small talk while the band was gearing up for this song, they had experienced some minor technical difficulties and trying to get the sound right...... I didn't recognize the intro and my friend Gary Tyson said, hey man you hear that ? I said hear what ? He said , she's about to sing your song ! I said no man that aint the song ! He replied I'm telling you that's the song.........Lo and behold Bettye stepped up and they hit the notes that I knew and the rest was history. Honestly Carlo, after Bettye's intro..I was totally outdone.........true story my friend...........

Hey Guys

Bettye and I thank you for the interest in the book and the CD. They will both be released in September 2012. I think you will find it a fascinating and sometimes salacious read! ;-)
    Ralph is correct that she is just too busy to sit at the computer anymore. But I do keep her updated on posts relating to people that she knows. She just got off the road last week after almost non stop work since December while touring, working on the new CD and the book. After a week of relaxation, she is coming back to normal a bit.

She does not meet and greet as often as she used to. These days most of her shows are 75-90 minutes, and as people who have seen her can testify, she gives her ALL out there. It usually takes a while for her to just catch her breath backstage after the show. AND, she was catching way too many colds from people hugging and touching her at the meet and greets. And a cold is a singer's worst enemy. But she does still do it sometimes, depending on how she feels. Hope you all understand.

Paladin, Heaven may be my favorite as well. The record does not do justice to the live version.

Paladin, Heaven may be my favorite as well. The record does not do justice to the live version.

I couldn't agree with you more. The live version has got to be seen & heard to be believed. I was absolutely floored the first time I saw her do this at her record release party at the House of Blues some years ago. The emotion, energy and showmanship that she displays in this particular song should be a primer for female singers period. I don't mean that they should imitate her, that of course would be flattering, but I don't know of many who could ever do what Bettye does. I might not like everything Bettye sings, but she even sings those songs better than most...........

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the info regarding Bettye's upcoming projects as well as the meet and greets. Totally understandable.

honest man Guest
    I saw Bettye perform at a Blackpool all nighter a bout 8 years ago, she was amazing,her book will be a great read, so many missed oppurtunities, cheers.

As Paladin stated, is true. You must see and hear her live performing "The Closer I Get To Heaven." MAN !!!!!!
    I'm looking forward to the book release,as well as the next time she comes to Chicago. Bettye is a class act,no doubt !

The cover of the book has been posted on Amazon. Looks great!

That it does, Carlo. Best of luck with the book, Bettye. I know it will be an interesting read.

I just absolutely love that cover. That cover screams "legend" and "survivor"!

Can't wait to read her story.
    Bettye has met / worked with so many interesting people down the years :- Ollie McLaughin, Johnnie Mae Matthews, Don Gardner, Jerry Williams, the Motown team people including David Ruffin, Dale Warren, Isaac Hayes, the Spinners, Ian Levine [[?) and many many more.