[REMOVE ADS]

Remember the 'Come Alive With PEPSI' campaign years back - well get a load of this!

Personally, I think it's a bit sick...
    PepsiCo Inc. [[PEP), which just unveiled a “Live for Now” marketing campaign to revive its flagship Pepsi-Cola, and is looking to a dead pop star -- Michael Jackson -- to generate buzz.
    The world’s second-largest soft-drink maker will plaster Jackson’s image on 1 billion Pepsi cans in 20 countries, starting in China on May 5, Purchase, New York-based PepsiCo said in a statement. A deal with the estate of Jackson, who died of a drug overdose in 2009, will include music, live events and merchandise to flog Pepsi-Cola, which has lost market share to Coca-Cola.
    Name:  MJ-pepsi-can.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  14.8 KB
    Jackson was the face of Pepsi-Cola at the zenith of his fame. The relationship was marred in 1984 when stage pyrotechnics set his hair on fire during a commercial shoot, severely burning the singer. “Pepsi has always been at the forefront of pop culture,” said Brad Jakeman, president of global enjoyment brands, in a statement. “This unique global partnership, around such a legendary music milestone, invites Pepsi fans from around the world to experience Michael Jackson’s music in an engaging and very now kind of way.”
    Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It's weird because it's like a celebrity endorsement, but the celebrity isn't alive. Strange.

Cha-ching!

I call it exploitation of the worst kind - where's the dignity? - where's the respect? It's a making money move irrespective of any other considerations. I wonder who licensed this distasteful initiative......
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 05-03-2012 at 03:27 PM.

They use Marilyn Monroe's likeness on things I see nothing wrong with this...EXCEPT in this case! The Pepsi event brings up bad memories regarding MJ some people may love this and some may hate it. Dont be shocked if the rabid fans come out asking people to boycott Pepsi.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I call it exploitation of the worst kind - where's the dignity? - where's the respect? It's a making money move irrespective of any other considerations. I wonder who licensed this distasteful initiative......
    I should imagine the Jackson family gave approval and accepted a huge licensing fee for this.

Roberta

I think there's a a certain "grace period" after a celebrity dies before which their image should be used in such ways. Elvis, Marilyn, James Dean, were dead for years before the marketing yahoos thought of plastering their images on everything. Michael Jackson, in my opinion, has not been gone long enough for this sort of thing and the past tragedy involving the Pepsi shoot gives this a certain yuck factor.

The New York Daily News reported that this deal was worked out with Michael's people & from a business perspective, his children should benefit from this.

I think what's somewhat bittersweet is that it was the unfortunate circumstances of that Pepsi commercial taping that played a large part in Michael's future troubles.

With that said, I prefer this idea to the "Hologram Tour" which had been mentioned. I'd rather see Janet singing with her brothers than to see a hologram of Michael at 11 or 18 years-old.

THAT, would be taking things a bit too far.

I wished they could have done this much earlier or much later. The artwork is tasteful and Michael is a universal pop culture icon. I think combining Pepsi and Michael for an AD campaign in 2012 is too soon.

This is a big surprise. I don't think I'm that much in favour of this either.

But the Jackson estate is being run masterfully by Executors and Trustees who clearly know their job is to maximize the estate; Mrs. Jackson and the children are making the biggest entertain bucks there are. That Cirque du Soleil thing is bringing in millions of dollars a week; it tops the attractions and concerts each week. In the end, it will gross a billion dollars I bet.

And this Pepsi deal is just the continuation of that masterful marketing. It is about maximizing marketing, nothing about morals, taste and family feelings. It's about money and making it.

No wonder the brothers are touring; they aren't receiving anything other than what Mrs. J. may see fit to drop into their pockets.

I think the board of Coca-Cola threw a big party when they heard what Pepsi were doing. I think it's a big mistake on Pepsi's part - they'll soon find out when the stock hits the stores...

The irony is that Pepsi is the reason that MJ is no longer here in the first place. His downfall started with the Pepsi commercial accident in 84

Exactly. That commercial and the risks that were taken making it led Mr. Jackson down the path to his eventual demise. If this backfires, that will be why.

Michael Jackson Forced Back To Pepsi By His Estate ~ Estate has made more $$$ than...

Michael Jackson Forced Back To Pepsi By His Estate BY Scuttlebooty on May 3, 2012 | 0 Comments and 1 Reaction | Related : Michael Jackson

Burnt hair smell is harder to get rid of than Michael Jackson’s Estate thought. The Estate is getting negative press for its decision to team up with Pepsi again for its newest marketing venture.

A spokesperson for the Estate tells TMZ that it’s re-releasing the “Bad” album and it thinks Pepsi is “the most effective place to do it.”

Could this be genius or result from an evil genius?

It could be genius because it’s hard to think of Michael Jackson without Pepsi coming to mind. Few have forgotten Michael’s tragic collaboration with the soft drink company in 1983. A Pepsi commercial hosted the stage for Michael’s famous hair caught on fire incident heard round the world. The pyrotechnic mishap caused the Prince of Pop to have severe burns on his scalp.

But the partnership could be the workings of an evil genius since some people actually blame Pepsi for putting Michael on the path to drug addiction. In fact, Michael’s former manager, Frank Cascio, says Michael was introduced to Demerol [[a highly addictive drug similar to morphine) following the incident to help deal with the burn pains.

Michael’s Estate is pointing out that the singer went on to work with Pepsi two more times – both in 1988 and 1991 – so clearly, there were no hard feelings…or the price was just too good to pass up.

I’m betting the money is too good to pass up this time too. The Jackson/Pepsi promotion will include a TV commercial, special edition cans with Jackson’s image and chances to win downloadable remixes of Jackson’s songs.

Did you know since passing away, Jackson has made the most money of any other dead celebrity including John Lennon and Elvis Presley? He’s earned way over $400 million since 2009. Crazy. When money like that’s involved, grudges and principles tend to fly out the window. What’s next, a holographic image of Michael guzzling a pepsi at every supermarket?

All this controversy brings to mind an aborted Pepsi ad campaign in mainland China, which the slogan translated to "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the dead."

Bring back the Esquire magazine's annual "Dubious Achievement Awards!" This is worthy of the honor.

RossHolloway Guest
    Does anyone know who the beneficiaries to his estate include?

RossHolloway Guest
    Does anyone know who the beneficiaries to his estate include or who actually is in control of his estate?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Does anyone know who the beneficiaries to his estate include or who actually is in control of his estate?
    I think Michael's long time lawyer and personal friend, John Branca controls the estate. If I am recalling correctly I think it was Primetime Live or 60 Minutes that said the estate was being managed by Mr. John Branca.

Michael's mother Ms. Katherine Jackson and his three children are the main beneficiaries of the estate. MJ left no provision for his father Joseph in his will.

Best to you,

Roberta

Attachment 4836

This has been on line for a long time; there are 3 executors; I think one may have renounced though - said he couldn't do it.

That is the last page of MJ's will; you can see it all online; it's been there forever.

I thought I had copied it all but only the last page came out.

Executors are John Branca, John McClain and Barry Seigel.

The beneficiaries are the MJ Family Trust - the most common way of doing wills in the USA. And it is commonly known that the beneficiares are Katherine and the children and some charities - no brothers, no sisters, no Dad.

And as the Will says, the guardians are Katherine and then Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    That is the last page of MJ's will; you can see it all online; it's been there forever.

I thought I had copied it all but only the last page came out.

Executors are John Branca, John McClain and Barry Seigel.

The beneficiaries are the MJ Family Trust - the most common way of doing wills in the USA. And it is commonly known that the beneficiares are Katherine and the children and some charities - no brothers, no sisters, no Dad.

And as the Will says, the guardians are Katherine and then Diana.

Well I have faith that Katherine is doing right by the brothers and the rest of the family. The children will get enough......the others should get enough too! I am also sure that Katherine is teaching the "children" the importance and value of family..........!

As was mentioned. Michael Jackson himself worked with Pepsi again. I don't see what the problem is.