[REMOVE ADS]

Upcoming Motown CD Releases

I am pleased to know that we will soon have the opportunity to own THE SUPREMES AT THE COPA and THE SPINNERS:TRULY YOURS. However, it is my perception that new Motown releases have significantly slowed down. Perhaps this is because we have been so fortunate to have so many in the last two or three years.
    1. Do we know of any others that are actually scheduled for release?
    2. Are there any others that we have SIGNIFICANT hints about?

Back in February on Midnight Johnny's "Nightflight", I read that Andy Skurow had mentioned an upcoming expanded release of Diana Ross' "Baby It's Me"...

Two more Dynamic Superiors lps being issued in the UK, You Name It and the excellent Brian Holland-produced Give & Take

Harry indicated a couple of months ago that a 40th anniversary deluxe/expanded edition of Marvin Gaye's Trouble Man was scheduled for the fall of 2012.

It has been quite a two, three year run! Maybe a Cellarful of Motown is due. Keeping it in the "Golden Age", perhaps bringing to center stage, more lessor known acts , or if I dare say it, acts most of us have never heard of. If we can agree that say in 1965, 100 acts were under contract, and we heard of the top forty acts, maybe acts number 41-60 might have have recorded some decent material. After all, they were good enough to get a contract, but there was no way there was going to be a release given the riches of what the top artists could not get released. The atmosphere of West Grand Blvd, with the Funks playing, there might be some new music to satisfy those of us who cannot get enough.

I read somewhere that there is a expanded "Involved" by Edwin Starr in the pipeline.

I recently realized that with only a handful of exceptions, most of the classic Motown album catalog from 1963 to about 1967-68 are available on CD or for downloads? And that's not counting those Motown albums from the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I read somewhere that there is a expanded "Involved" by Edwin Starr in the pipeline.
    That would be great. We're in need of a really good Edwin Starr anthology.

We've been treated with so many great releases. I'm sure whatever comes along will be much welcomed!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    It has been quite a two, three year run! Maybe a Cellarful of Motown is due. Keeping it in the "Golden Age", perhaps bringing to center stage, more lessor known acts , or if I dare say it, acts most of us have never heard of. If we can agree that say in 1965, 100 acts were under contract, and we heard of the top forty acts, maybe acts number 41-60 might have have recorded some decent material. After all, they were good enough to get a contract, but there was no way there was going to be a release given the riches of what the top artists could not get released. The atmosphere of West Grand Blvd, with the Funks playing, there might be some new music to satisfy those of us who cannot get enough.

Proud owner of the first three volumes - great way to get people appreciating the fine voices of the Lewis Sisters, their niece, Little Lisa, Barbara McNair, Frank Wilson, Patrice Holloway, Fantastic Four, J.J. Barnes, Connie Haines, Bob Kayli, Blinky, Lollipops, Debbie Dean, and lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I recently realized that with only a handful of exceptions, most of the classic Motown album catalog from 1963 to about 1967-68 are available on CD or for downloads? And that's not counting those Motown albums from the 1970s.

There already is twelve volumes of the complete Motown Singles, 1959-1971, on CD sets and itunes. While one can go "cherry picking" for individual tracks thru itunes, like myself, each individual sets in physical form, sadly, has always costed practically an arm & a leg.

Favorite Artists / Songs I've found myself playing / enjoying the most from such: the Monitors [[Say You, Since I Lost You, Step By Step), the Fantastic Four [[I Love You Madly, I Feel Like I'm Falling In Love Again), Marv Johnson [[I'll Pick A Rose for my Rose), Chuck Jackson [[Are You Lonely For Me Baby), and Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers [[Does Your Mama Know About Me, Malinda). Most are a lot more soulful than the actual hitmakers Motown pushed their attentions better to, which I guess was exactly why they've been given less themselves; more soul than "pop".

There are, of course, 4 volumes of A Cellarful Of Motown so far....have you missed out on this one?
    Name:  4975505462_0cda1e0d17_q.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  14.9 KB

Just the kinda guy who bought all three volumes of Cellarfuls on Amazon, who thought bought them all, only a couple months before noticed the fourth was probably freshly released. One of those days, in-between my record-buying habit hahaha…

CFOM is a great series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post

There already is twelve volumes of the complete Motown Singles, 1959-1971, on CD sets and itunes. While one can go "cherry picking" for individual tracks thru itunes, like myself, each individual sets in physical form, sadly, has always costed practically an arm & a leg.

Favorite Artists / Songs I've found myself playing / enjoying the most from such: the Monitors [[Say You, Since I Lost You, Step By Step), the Fantastic Four [[I Love You Madly, I Feel Like I'm Falling In Love Again), Marv Johnson [[I'll Pick A Rose for my Rose), Chuck Jackson [[Are You Lonely For Me Baby), and Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers [[Does Your Mama Know About Me, Malinda). Most are a lot more soulful than the actual hitmakers Motown pushed their attentions better to, which I guess was exactly why they've been given less themselves; more soul than "pop".

Of the artists you named, there are AVAILABLE CD collections on all OF THEM except the Fantastic Four.

The "Best of The Fantastic Four" is available on CD.

Their Ric-Tic; not Motown recorded.

"[[I`m Gonna) Live Up To What She Thinks", "Girls Have Pity" and "As Long As The Feeling Is There" are available on the 2 "Ric Tic Relics" bootlegs.If this helps.

"[[I`m Gonna) Live Up To What She Thinks", "Girls Have Pity" and "As Long As The Feeling Is There" are available on the 2 "Ric Tic Relics" bootlegs.If this helps.
    What I mean, is only their Ric-Tic recorded works are in that Best Of collection. Would be grander if their Motown is too, outside of the oversized, and thus, overpriced, Motown Singles volumes. And no, bootlegs are still illegal.

It's expensive too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    It's expensive too.
    Amazon has it for download for $9.49. I have the disc and other than the music [[a lot of which is very good) there is not much in the way of liner notes.