[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    John, in the Ivy Hunter compilation some of the vocals I recognize as Ron Isley's, not Ivy Hunter, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    John, in the Ivy Hunter compilation some of the vocals I recognize as Ron Isley's, not Ivy Hunter, am I right?
    Do you mean what Snakepit mentioned in relation to No Good Without You? If so, then yes, that is Ron Isley.

honest man Guest
    Soulwally thank you for the reminder, i have Emporers of soul box,cannot understand why it did n't jump out at me years ago, glad thats sorted, also some crackers from Ivy jo. need a comp on him, great stuff, cheers gang.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    There is supposed to be a version by Frank and I read somewhere that there is a version of "Gonna Keep on Tryin` Til I Win Your Love" by G.C. Cameron.
    I have a version of "Gonna Keep On Tryin" and it is credited to GC Cameron, from memory there is no group backing.

Chalky

From a legal point of view of releasing the track, would you not agree that if it was possible to put it out, then it would have come out as a Spinners track but not G C Cameron? Similar to the way Dennis Edwards credited tracks came out on the Contours [[eg Baby Hit And Run).

Thanks Keith. I am really looking forward to this release.

Jim

I read somewhere that Frank had a version I didn`t make it up.I always check annotations and record "assigned" etc. in a book.Same with G.C. who also has a solo of "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music." After all some of The Supremes early releases were assigned to Jean Terrell.I can only go on what I read if it is wrong I`m sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Chalky

From a legal point of view of releasing the track, would you not agree that if it was possible to put it out, then it would have come out as a Spinners track but not G C Cameron? Similar to the way Dennis Edwards credited tracks came out on the Contours [[eg Baby Hit And Run).
    Possibly although I'm not that clued up on legal stuff. I'll have to have another listen to he track when I get home, maybe post a soundfile somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I read somewhere that Frank had a version I didn`t make it up.I always check annotations and record "assigned" etc. in a book.Same with G.C. who also has a solo of "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music." After all some of The Supremes early releases were assigned to Jean Terrell.I can only go on what I read if it is wrong I`m sorry.
    Roger There is no need to say sorry to me. I have read things in the past that were subsequently proved to be false. I am no different to you, I have made mistakes before...and plenty of them too.

You're absolutely right about Jean Terrell too. Although her name was not spelt like that at the time!

honest man Guest
    Oh Jeez my birthday today and im praying for days to pass till the cd release,just don't need this at my age in life,sometimes i wish we did not have to know about upcoming release so soon[ only joking]this kind of stuff keeps me going,keep up the great work,cheers.

I'm looking forward to the Spinners CD .. the cover is awesome

As regards the Ivy Jo and Funk Bros tracks featured on YouTube I can say that Ivy Jo's personal collection was the origin of the tapes.

They were transferred to cassette at least 15 years ago and, as you can hear, quality was very variable with some of the tapes being damaged. That is particularly noticeable on his alternate lyric version of 'To See The Sun Again'

There were numerous band tracks including things like 'We'll Find a Way' which I don't think is featured in the YouTube medley.

The tapes also featured things that were subsequently issued, such as The Four Tops 'Fantasy' in addition to others that remain unreleased such as Gladys Knight 'The Things That Time Cannot Erase' which is, to my mind, one of the best GK cuts ever.

I really have no idea who has put these things up on YouTube but i have a fairly good idea where they came from

Andy

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rix View Post

As regards the Ivy Jo and Funk Bros tracks featured on YouTube I can say that Ivy Jo's personal collection was the origin of the tapes.

They were transferred to cassette at least 15 years ago and, as you can hear, quality was very variable with some of the tapes being damaged. That is particularly noticeable on his alternate lyric version of 'To See The Sun Again'

There were numerous band tracks including things like 'We'll Find a Way' which I don't think is featured in the YouTube medley.

The tapes also featured things that were subsequently issued, such as The Four Tops 'Fantasy' in addition to others that remain unreleased such as Gladys Knight 'The Things That Time Cannot Erase' which is, to my mind, one of the best GK cuts ever.

I really have no idea who has put these things up on YouTube but i have a fairly good idea where they came from

Andy
    Andy - Aren't you the one who did the extensive interview with Brenda Holloway several years ago?

Keith_Hughes, what a Truly Amazing Collection and the cover of the CD is Superb! such class! just can't wait
    for it to be released, wish you every success.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Andy - Aren't you the one who did the extensive interview with Brenda Holloway several years ago?

Yes .. I confess .. it is me

Andy

Yes .. I confess .. it is me

Andy
    And what a great job you did too. My personal all time favourite interview.

Are the UK folk group the Spinners still in existence?
    If so, I hope they're not going to moan if Ace release the CD without the "Detroit" prefix to the group's name.
    Last edited by 144man; 04-28-2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: clarity

Andy
    Andy, very interesting. I presume that Motown still own these masters....I wonder how, and why Ivy copied them. Was there any project in mind? In any event I'm sure he's entitled to keep a record of his work.I'd love to hear more of his productions/band tracks etc.
    Regarding who, and why, these were put on Youtube, would Ivy be aware? Shame if he isn't.

And what a great job you did too. My personal all time favourite interview.
    Thank you.. that's very kind but I didn't do it all alone. I had lots of expert help to ensure I asked the right questions

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Andy, very interesting. I presume that Motown still own these masters....I wonder how, and why Ivy copied them. Was there any project in mind? In any event I'm sure he's entitled to keep a record of his work.I'd love to hear more of his productions/band tracks etc.
    Regarding who, and why, these were put on Youtube, would Ivy be aware? Shame if he isn't.
    I guess that Motown must own them but I'm not sure I'd class them as masters e.g. finished product fit for release .. on the whole they seem to be working demos, guide vocals or rehearsals. On the whole the quality of the tapes were sub-standards in terms of sound quality and the inclusion of 'security bleeps'.

I don't think the variety of songs suggested a specific project as the broad selection of artists involved would suggest, to me, that it was just his stuff in general.

Why did Ivy copy them .... I can only assume he wanted to listen to them at home to continue formulating their construction, both musically and lyrically, as part of his creative process.

As to why he subsequently let somebody else copy them years later, which has subsequently resulted in them becoming available via YouTube, I can only suggest that he never really imagined that such things would be of great interest so many years after their recording and some people can be very persuasive as some of us have found out..

I don't think Ivy will know the tracks are out there ... would he be bothered ? I'm not sure

Andy

Bumping for some friends

RossHolloway Guest
    Ok, I'll ask..Why does this collection stop at 1967?

I believe that there is to be another around "2nd Time Around" Ross.

£11.94 on Amazon UK today pre-order

I'd like to think there may be another Spinners' CD, but the reason we stopped at 1967, Ross, is simply that that's when their first album was released [[in the US): we thought we should keep the bonus tracks within the timeline.

honest man Guest
    I see on Amazonuk for less than 12 quid,can't waitfor vol 2 also, cheers people.

Found the tracklisting on Importcds.com. Their preorder price is $14.19.

Track Listing
    Track # Title
    1 That's What Girls Are Made For
    2 I'll Always Love You
    3 Truly Yours
    4 For All We Know
    5 It Hurts To Be In Love
    6 Tomorrow May Never Come
    7 Sweet Thing
    8 I Cross My Heart
    9 Where Is That Girl
    10 Like A Good Man Should
    11 How Can I
    12 I Just Can't Help But Feel The Pain
    13 Darling
    14 Words Can't Describe
    15 12 O'Clock
    16 Lonely Tomorrow
    17 I Want My Baby Back
    18 Nobody Else But You
    19 Just Another Guy
    20 This Feeling In My Heart
    21 Memories Of Her Love [[Keep Haunting Me)
    22 What More Could A Boy Ask For
    23 Head Over Heels In Love With You Baby
    24 Too Late I Learned
    25 Tea House In China Town
    26 We're Gonna Be More Than Friends

http://www.importcds.com/Music/24075...bum-1963-67-CD

Will there be any leads by Chico Edwards on the set? I know he and Henry co-lead on "Tomorrow May Never Come", but i've only heard one track where he sings by himself! But it was a tri-phi era recording!

Bobby Smith said all the leads were sung by him, bar one, where he didn't recognise the singer and thought it might be Marvin Gaye! Should be an interesting discussion on the Board ...

Bumping for 'Bingo'

honest man Guest
    Not long to wait,hope the release date stays, cheers.

Just placed my order today at HMV U.K - cheaper than amazon at £10 free postage...

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSea...mitSearch.y=19

Keith: Perhaps Bobbie means Tomorrow May Never Come, which on the original album was the oldest-sounding track along with That's What Girls Are Made Of. And, yes, it is a sort of close-harmony tune featuring two of the guys. But I reckon the 'Marvin' track will be one of the previously-unreleased items.

Yes Soulwally, Bobbie was referring to one of the new tracks.

Official release date is Monday 25 June 2012 - Just 2 days time

I see the page for this set is now up at Ace, with some samples for those who can't wait till Monday! : -

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content....9&release=8992

Cheers

Paul

It amazes me that even in 2012, there is still some great music in the Motown Vault that still has to see the light of day

HMV hasn't emailed me that it's on its way yet. Has anyone received notification?

Mine`s on it`s way - just been informed. Starting to fizz !

It amazes me that even in 2012, there is still some great music in the Motown Vault that still has to see the light of day
    We have been very very fortunate to have received the volume of unreleased material that we have the past couple of years. It's definitely win, win. We get the releases, and Ace gets not only nice sales, but the cash up front via the pre - sell, so they continue to dig up more product that doesn't cost anything to record with the only expense being the fees to Universal for the rights to release the product. There have been some nice collections from Ace, but this one from the cover to the track list, looks like it is going to be a huge seller.

Further to John's comment - and have listened to a soundclip of 'We're gonna be more than friends' on ACE's website, what amazes me is that I get the same buzz from hearing 'new' Motown recordings as I did 30 years ago when I first discovered the music.

I still love all the old stuff I've been listening to for years - but hearing new sounds keeps it so alive.

Thanks, Berry, for being far too fussy about what you chose to release. And recording SO MUCH material!

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post

Thanks, Berry, for being far too fussy about what you chose to release. And recording SO MUCH material!
    I second that emotion.

I've been buying so much Motown the last year that I thought I'd wait on this, but now I'm itchin' to get it.

Amazon Uk states: Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months?????.

Just received mine from Amazon UK this morning, but what a pain! has anyone else tried to load it to their iPod, tracks 9, 14,15,22,24,25 & 26 will not load, just stick at the start all the time, looked if I could download them on iTunes but but not available. so a little disappointed!

Managed to load all tracks now except the last three 24,25 & 26 and they will not even play on a CD player, they just keep sticking, has no one else had this problem?

Yes John

I do have the same problem

Yes John

I do have the same problem
    Very disappointing John after all the support given to this project! no response if they will put the matter right!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Very disappointing John after all the support given to this project! no response if they will put the matter right!
    I'm sure they will correct it. I haven't bought the set yet but will soon. Anyway, you know these guys take care of us...they probably haven't figured out whether it's on all CDs or just a few. Hang in there.

John
    Ive had a ring round to a few people and it looks like it's just you and me. All the other guys are fine with their copies.

Mine's Okeh