Name:  The Spinners front cover.jpg
Views: 13887
Size:  84.8 KB

Yes, it’s official! Ace/Kent are proud to announce the first Spinners CD of Motown recordings since 2001’s Essential Collection. We’ve taken their first LP The Original Spinners [[The Detroit Spinners in the UK), and filled out the disc with rare and [[mostly) unreleased tracks recorded between their arrival at Motown in mid-1963 and the LP’s release in October 1967.

New to all save a few diehards with a rapidly deteriorating cassette collection are vocal harmony gems from the group’s early sessions such as “12 O’Clock” and “Darling”, the latter specially mixed for this CD as the original rough mix used on the acetate could not be found. [[The remainder of the tracks are all 1960s mixes from the original Motown tapes.) From the other end of the timeline, and new to everyone, we think, are a definitive version of “Tea House In China Town” which in some people’s opinion knocks the Four Tops’ version for six, and a song surely destined to be a Northern classic: “We’re Gonna Be More Than Friends”. Keep that wheel twisted, friends ...

The CD has the full approval of Universal Music, and the active co-operation of Mr Harry Weinger, to whom as usual go our thanks. Spinners experts including Ritchie Hardin, Heikki Suasolo and Andy Rix [[all of this parish) have guided us along the way, but of course final blame for errors [[especially any involving counting!) must lie with the CD’s compilers, Mick Patrick and myself. As for omissions ... there’s easily enough left for a Volume 2, if anyone’s up for it! They were busy boys in the studio.

We’re hoping to get this out at the end of June - we’ll keep the Board posted when we know more.

Full track list is as follows [[* indicates previously unreleased):

01 That's What Girls Are Made For
02 I'll Always Love You
03 Truly Yours
04 For All We Know
05 It Hurts To Be In Love
06 Tomorrow May Never Come
07 Sweet Thing
08 I Cross My Heart
09 Where Is That Girl
10 Like A Good Man Should
11 How Can I
12 I Just Can't Help But Feel The Pain
13 Darling *
14 Words Can't Describe *
15 12 O'Clock *
16 Lonely Tomorrow *
17 I Want My Baby Back *
18 Nobody Else But You *
19 Just Another Guy *
20 This Feeling In My Heart *
21 Memories Of Her Love [[Keep Haunting Me)
22 What More Could A Boy Ask For
23 Head Over Heels In Love With You Baby
24 Too Late I Learned
25 Tea House In China Town *
26 We're Gonna Be More Than Friends *