[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Currently on AMAZON UK is a message......

Item Under Review

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page.

oo er!

jaybs and bfx: I have played the last 5 tracks on two CD players, and successfully imported the whole album to iTunes. But OBVIOUSLY there's a problem with some copies, and it's not just you two guys who have bad 'uns: others have mentioned it too, off the Board.

I'll get back to Ace right away, and let you know, here, what they say.

You guys have a much viewed thread here.

So.........it this a must have? Can you buy it on Itunes and do I have to order from the UK? Or is this a pass because there's trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    jaybs and bfx: I have played the last 5 tracks on two CD players, and successfully imported the whole album to iTunes. But OBVIOUSLY there's a problem with some copies, and it's not just you two guys who have bad 'uns: others have mentioned it too, off the Board.

I'll get back to Ace right away, and let you know, here, what they say.
    Thanks Keith, I sent an email to Ace but no response!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    You guys have a much viewed thread here.

So.........it this a must have? Can you buy it on Itunes and do I have to order from the UK? Or is this a pass because there's trouble?
    No not available on iTunes, if it was I would have just downloaded the tracks that will not play on the CD I have!

honest man Guest
    Hello recieved mine from Amazon uk plays great,volume 2 soon please,thanks to all involved,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Hello recieved mine from Amazon uk plays great,volume 2 soon please,thanks to all involved,cheers.
    And mine plays fine too, I'm thrilled to say. I'm absolutely loving it.
    The 'mystery' voice on I Want My Baby Back does sound like Marvin to me. As for the other non-original album tracks, We're Gonna Be More Than friends thrills me in a way that no other previously-unreleased track has thrilled me since the Originals' Suspicion, as the perfect uptempo Motown Studio A sound.
    I had the original-release Detroit Spinners album, and as it was one of the first four albums I ever bought, when such days were few and far between, I played it A LOT, and know the tracks so well.
    But as that was a stereo copy it's good to hear the album-only tracks in mono [[such tracks as I'll Always Love You I've listened to many times, mono and stereo). So, on Like A Good Man Should, you can actually HEAR Bobby's lead vocal - it's buried in the stereo mix, as are the background vocals. And there's a neat organ on Tomorrow May never Come I didn't hear before.
    One gripe on the liner notes: it doesn't wrap up the Spinners today story - the fact Smith and Fambrough still lead the group, and Henderson and Jackson's passing. But perhaps that is for a volume 2...
    Last edited by soulwally; 06-29-2012 at 07:34 AM.

"The 'mystery' voice on I Want My Baby Back does sound like Marvin to me"

I've only played it once but my initial impression is NOT Marvin Gaye....will give it another try asap

honest man Guest
    Wow brilliant playing cd at the moment played yesterday quickly but absorbing now, the album songs great clarity,though cd grows for me from track17 wonderful,the Marvin lead.................... don't think so sounds like the Spinners,any takers all in all worth the lifetime wait,thanks to all invoved in this brilliant cd,can't wait for vol 2.hint,cheers gang.

honest man Guest
    OMG track 20 explodes.absolutely fantastic,im in Motown paradise,thank you zillions my bung has fizzed.cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    "The 'mystery' voice on I Want My Baby Back does sound like Marvin to me"

I've only played it once but my initial impression is NOT Marvin Gaye....will give it another try asap
    Hi, The voice on "I Want My Baby Back" to me sounds like Henry Fambrough of The Spinners. If so I am assuming this is one of if not his earliest lead vocal with the group.

Many thanks to Keith and your wonderful support for this essential release.As usual it is a very informative and pleasurable experience.Great to see that there were around 30 unreleased tracks for selection which makes me wonder why you included those that had already appeared as I would have thought that anyone who didn`t already have these would then have maybe bought those collections.I`m not criticising just trying to sell more treasure.Keep up the good work and please seriously consider another from this marvelous group.Thanks again.

Just for those who have had the problems with some tracks on some copies of the CD, Phil Stoker of Ace Records has replied to me this morning, which I'm sure he will not mind me sharing.

"I received your mail at 17.32 on Thursday. Since then the CD
    manufacturing plant is trying to determine what the fault is. Until this
    is done we cannot announce what the problem is and what our solution is.

Hopefully we will find out today and be able to implement a solution.

Ace is extremely unhappy that there appears to be a problem with this CD
    and we will ensure that all faulty discs are replaced free of charge and
    try to make sure such a thing does not happen again.

I hope to contact you later today."

Just so wanting to hear the final three tracks on the CD, especially "Tea Shop in China Town"

Hi Jaybs and others.

Ace have now "issued a statement" which can be seen at http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=2110. Here's what it says:

"Certain copies from the first pressing of the Spinners ‘Truly Yours’ release [[CDTOP 371) have been affected by the playback issue which has afflicted several Ace new releases this year . Our manufacturers are looking into this and are being made aware [[by us) of the inconvenience this problem has caused and the extent to which these issues are testing your patience.

If you are having problems with your copies please drop an email to press@acerecords.com and we will send a corrected disc to you as soon as they have been manufactured. Unfortunately as the manufacturers are still attempting to identify the problem, there may be a slight delay with this.

Rest assured, we are as concerned about this issue as you are and steps are being taken to ensure this never happens again.."

tlg30: Hello and welcome. I don't think it's Henry, unless his voice deepened considerably to help him deliver those baritone leads under Thom Bell in the Seventies. Perhaps it's another Spinner - Edwards perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Hi Jaybs and others.

Ace have now "issued a statement" which can be seen at http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=2110.

Rest assured, we are as concerned about this issue as you are and steps are being taken to ensure this never happens again.."
    Many Thanks Keith for your kind help!

Got my copy last Friday, but only got round to playing it tonight and it seems that I have a defective copy, so have sent an email to ACE as per instructions.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to Keith and all else involved for another great Motown release from ACE.

Despite the faulty disc, I'm of course enjoying those tracks that will play!

Cheers

Paul

I haven't received my copy yet. Did anyone who had a defective copy try playing it on a different machine?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I haven't received my copy yet. Did anyone who had a defective copy try playing it on a different machine?
    Yes!

I played it on two Panasonic DVD players. The first one played the 'bad' tracks ok at first, but they skipped/paused halfway through them. However, the second machine seemed to play the last four tracks with no problems at all!

I haven't tried the disc in a standalone CD player, but the DVD drives on my PC wouldn't play them, so I was only able to rip up to track 22. [[This track did have some problems playing on my other DVD PC drive).

I've been in contact with ACE who replied quickly, and informed me that a replacement disc would be posted as soon as they received them.

Cheers

Paul

Bradburger,

I remember when CDs first came out, if we returned faulty ones, we had to say what model CD player we had, as sometimes they played okay on other makes.

My copy is on its way to me, but if it's defective, I'll try and play the problem tracks somehow before returning it.

Thanks.

My copy that I ordered from deepdiscount.com arrived today, and I'm happy to report that it plays perfectly. I also ripped MP3s using Windows Media without any problem. This is the fourth Motown CD released by Ace that I've purchased in the last 14 months and this may be the best of the lot [[which is saying something because the Marv Johnson one was good, the Monitors one was better, and the Shorty Long better still). I'm extremely grateful that Ace has stepped in to release classic Motown when no one at Universal [[on either side of the pond) seems interested in doing so.

I was not particularly worried about receiving a defective disc, because I know that Ace would make it right. A few weeks back I purchased Nobody Wins: Stax Southern Soul 1968-1975. There was a problem with one page of the booklet. I contacted Ace, and, within a week, a complete new booklet had been mailed from London to my address in Michigan. Not only does Ace release outstanding music, their customer service seems to be top notch as well.
    Last edited by Nothing But Soul; 07-05-2012 at 06:19 PM.

My copy belatedly arrived yesterday, and I'm pleased to say that it plays perfectly.

It's well worth the wait. It's been such a long time since I'd played "The Original Spinners" LP that I'd forgotten what great tracks "I Cross My Heart" and "Where Is That Girl" are.

The previously unreleased tracks are well up to standard. A special mention for the Northern-style track "We're Gonna Be More Than Friends", which is already sounding like an old friend.

I agree with Snakepit that the vocalist on "I Want My Baby Back" doesn't sound like Marvin Gaye,

Just my copy yesterday too. It has been years since I heard the original album and it was always one of my favourite Motown albums. It seems incredible there has been a 30 year gap between me buying the vinyl and the cd edition!

Thanks to all involved in the project. It is a real joy to hear old and 'new' Motown music brought to us with the TLC of ACE/KENT.

"We're Gonna Be More Than Friends" now takes it's place in the Motown hall of fame as a true lost gem in my humble opinion.

As for the mystery vocalist. It doesn't sound like a voice i've heard on any Motown recording elswhere. It certainly isn't Marvin.

Had no home phone for 8 days! and broadband for 4 days, but back and great to find an email from Phil Stoker at Ace which he asked me to pass on!

"We are expecting replacement copies of the remastered Spinners CD on
    Monday. If you could post on the forum that anyone requiring a
    replacement should e-mail press@acerecords.com and they will receive a
    replacement disc.

I do apologise for this occurrence and hope it does not put you off
    buying future Ace releases."

Of course Phil we are 100% behind Ace and look forward to supporting you with many more Soulful releases!

Great news my replacement CD disc arrived today and it is great to be able to hear all the tracks, love the version of "Tea House in China Town"

Thanks to Phil and everyone at Ace for taking such quick action, it goes without saying I'm sure we will all continue to support them with more releases like this!

Got mine today from BlowItOuttaHere no defects.

Would have liked stereo on it but a great job was done and the liner notes are excellent love the various 45 rpm labels repro'd.

I have an original Motown / Ampex 7" 4 track reel tape of Motown 639 and it sounds great in Stereo. Never seen another one.

Great service from ACE.

[Got my CD yesterday to replace the defective one, well done to all at ACE.

Thanks to Phil and everyone at Ace for taking such quick action, it goes without saying I'm sure we will all continue to support them with more releases like this![/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    [Got my CD yesterday to replace the defective one, well done to all at ACE.

Thanks to Phil and everyone at Ace for taking such quick action, it goes without saying I'm sure we will all continue to support them with more releases like this!
    I got my replacement disc yesterday too.

Many thanks to all at ACE for the prompt service.

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    No not available on iTunes, if it was I would have just downloaded the tracks that will not play on the CD I have!
    I also had some problems with some tracks not playing on one of my cd players. It plays on an older disc player i have. WOULD I GET A REPLACEMENT FROM ACE HERE IN THE US? I am just pleased to have the Spinners' first album on disc. It's essential Motown in my opinion. As usual, I was cold to most of the unreleased tracks. The Spinners' version of Teahouse in Chinatown sent me scrambling to play the Four Tops' version.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-01-2012 at 02:10 PM.

For those who may have postponed buying this CD, I just received mine. I hadn't preordered it, so I just put my order in a couple weeks ago. Mine plays through fine on two different CD players. I don't know if it's a second issue, naturally. And it's a great piece!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    For those who may have postponed buying this CD, I just received mine. I hadn't preordered it, so I just put my order in a couple weeks ago. Mine plays through fine on two different CD players. I don't know if it's a second issue, naturally. And it's a great piece!
    Kenneth Ditto. However, as much as I love the CD and I do. Reading about the fact that when the group was in the studio, it recorded one track and hoped for the best as opposed to cutting three songs as most artists did during a recording session. They kept their chins up and realized that everything in life is temporary. In the end their day did come, a nice life lesson.