[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Spinners: "Truly Yours" - their first Motown album with bonus tracks 1963-1967

Name:  The Spinners front cover.jpg
Views: 13847
Size:  84.8 KB

Yes, it’s official! Ace/Kent are proud to announce the first Spinners CD of Motown recordings since 2001’s Essential Collection. We’ve taken their first LP The Original Spinners [[The Detroit Spinners in the UK), and filled out the disc with rare and [[mostly) unreleased tracks recorded between their arrival at Motown in mid-1963 and the LP’s release in October 1967.

New to all save a few diehards with a rapidly deteriorating cassette collection are vocal harmony gems from the group’s early sessions such as “12 O’Clock” and “Darling”, the latter specially mixed for this CD as the original rough mix used on the acetate could not be found. [[The remainder of the tracks are all 1960s mixes from the original Motown tapes.) From the other end of the timeline, and new to everyone, we think, are a definitive version of “Tea House In China Town” which in some people’s opinion knocks the Four Tops’ version for six, and a song surely destined to be a Northern classic: “We’re Gonna Be More Than Friends”. Keep that wheel twisted, friends ...

The CD has the full approval of Universal Music, and the active co-operation of Mr Harry Weinger, to whom as usual go our thanks. Spinners experts including Ritchie Hardin, Heikki Suasolo and Andy Rix [[all of this parish) have guided us along the way, but of course final blame for errors [[especially any involving counting!) must lie with the CD’s compilers, Mick Patrick and myself. As for omissions ... there’s easily enough left for a Volume 2, if anyone’s up for it! They were busy boys in the studio.

We’re hoping to get this out at the end of June - we’ll keep the Board posted when we know more.

Full track list is as follows [[* indicates previously unreleased):

01 That's What Girls Are Made For
    02 I'll Always Love You
    03 Truly Yours
    04 For All We Know
    05 It Hurts To Be In Love
    06 Tomorrow May Never Come
    07 Sweet Thing
    08 I Cross My Heart
    09 Where Is That Girl
    10 Like A Good Man Should
    11 How Can I
    12 I Just Can't Help But Feel The Pain
    13 Darling *
    14 Words Can't Describe *
    15 12 O'Clock *
    16 Lonely Tomorrow *
    17 I Want My Baby Back *
    18 Nobody Else But You *
    19 Just Another Guy *
    20 This Feeling In My Heart *
    21 Memories Of Her Love [[Keep Haunting Me)
    22 What More Could A Boy Ask For
    23 Head Over Heels In Love With You Baby
    24 Too Late I Learned
    25 Tea House In China Town *
    26 We're Gonna Be More Than Friends *

honest man Guest
    YIPPEE,Waited a long time for this release, keep up the brilliant releases, thank you millions.

At long - long last! We've all being going grey waiting for the Spinners 1st album to see the cd age. I'm cock-a-hoop to finallly see this release - and with bonus tracks too.
    'Tea house in China Town' always struck me as one of the Motown oddities. A one-off song. I love the Tops version of this. Can't wait to hear a 'new' version.
    Boy, we are being spoilt this year aren't we?
    Thanks ACE.

honest man Guest
    Brilliant cover also,this has got to be best release in years .along with Tammi's comp from a couple of years you lot are the tops,cheers.Maybe vol 2 as well, what a great few years we have had .Thank you fellas.

This is what I'm talking about!!!!

honest man Guest
    Keith and gang whilst this thread is new,[not trying to distract]maybe for future releases may i add Fantastic 4, JJ Barnes i know i will be complete. The output of motown releases from ACE - HIPO in recent years have gone from strength to strength,my bung is fizzing,lol. cheers.

Keith,
    Great news and thank you. Is it safe to assume that the tracks that were not on the original album will be mono? Will most/all of the first 12 tracks be the stereo versions?
    Thanks,
    P.J.

Fantastic news, Keith, form you, Mick and Ace Reecords. I'll pay the asking price just for the CD cover photo which is just spectactular. A great find and a distinguished cover.
    Put me down for a copy!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 3115
Size:  21.1 KB
    Great news! I can't wait to hear those of the unreleased cuts I haven't yet heard.

Excellent news!

pj1, I forgot to say ALL of the tracks will be in mono. All the "bonus" tracks were only available in mono, so it seemed right to run the mono version of the album. Personally I find mixed-mode CDs a bit irritating to listen to, and anyway after using only stereo mixes on the last CD [[Shorty Long in case you missed it!), it was the mono fans' turn ...

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    pj1, I forgot to say ALL of the tracks will be in mono. All the "bonus" tracks were only available in mono, so it seemed right to run the mono version of the album. Personally I find mixed-mode CDs a bit irritating to listen to, and anyway after using only stereo mixes on the last CD [[Shorty Long in case you missed it!), it was the mono fans' turn ...
    Win sometimes; Loose sometimes. Regardless, I'm over-joyed that it will be come available. Thank you to all the staff at KENT.

Gosh I`m fizzing at the bung again!

Over the years I have read how the Spinners would grab any unused studio time with Cholly Atkins, let's say the 4 Tops were a no-show, or Mr. Gaye declined the time. This is the first actual shot I have ever seen of the Spinners doing their thing! What gets me about the great photo is that at the time there were supposed to in addition to their careers doing odd jobs for the company. But to look at the expressions of joy on the fellas faces, you would think they were in the middle of a run of Tom Bell produced #1's

Fantastic release! Can't wait to hear it.

Gee, oh wow! My oh my! Can't wait to get my hands on this one. What an amazing tracklist and look at that cover! Keith, you've made me so very happy! Tell Mick I love him, too.

I can't wait to hear "We're Gonna Be More Than Friends." A lost Motown dance classic? I sincerely hope so!

I hope it's mastered and mixed louder than that Essential Spinners disc.

"We're Gonna Be More Than Friends" got it's first play out at the Lifeline All-nighter in February and gotta say out loud it was fantastic. Can't wait for the CD.

Keith

Thank you for another awesome release, love the cover photo and track list, is it up for pre order yet?

Dickiemint

cant wait to hear "i want my baby back" is that the one edwin starr did?

Awesome! Where do I order this?

Great photo ... that's Chico Edwards second from left, a brief stint with the group, who was succeeded by G.C. Cameron, then Wynne, then Edwards.

Have I been asleep or what? Did you all know this was coming and I was out of the loop?
    I think I'd read there was another Ace/Kent motown release looming, but I could never have guessed it was by the marvellous Spinners.
    I love Bobby Smith's voice [[in its prime, 60s Motown, 70s Thom Bell), and I presume he'll lead most if not all the tracks.
    A stereo copy of the UK Tamla Motown The Detroit Spinners was one of the first albums I could afford, and I cherished it for many years before moving it on only last year, but not before I'd made a CDR version of it.
    So I'll have my stereo version, plus the spanking new one, with a couple of those album never available before on CD,
    Obviously I can't wait for the unreleased gems.

Some Spinners clips to sort of whet the appetite [[they aren't tracks from the new album, so don't get excited!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EabH1Y0Kz4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBqCEDJ_zH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-PA7MeGKCs

Great news, and good to see that the mono L.P master is being used for a change.

Funny, but I heard an unissued version of 'Tea House In Chinatown' on YouTube the other day, which sounded like the Spinners!

I look forward to hearing it in better quality.

Cheers

Paul

Paul

Do you have the link for that unissued version. I'd like to hear it

Thank you Keith!!! And just in time for my birthday [[the announcement, anyways :-)

I'd like to hear that version too, Paul. The Spinners cut it twice, and we used the later version which is superior in every way. Chicago singer Jimmy Hart recorded a version too, under the production of ex-Motowner Andre Williams - that one is up on YouTube [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdVwcG0cloM). I don't rate it that highly, though the girl with the pageboy haircut is nice to look at while you listen!

RossHolloway Guest
    That is indeed an AWESOME cover photo. Can someone name all the Spinners in that photo from left to right? I know my Tops, Temps, Miracles and All Stars, I just don't know my Spinners.

L to R:

Billy Henderson, Chico Edwards, Pervis Jackson, Bobbie Smith, Henry Fambrough [[sp).

Here you go John & Keith.

http://youtu.be/p_v3JbSzFa0

It starts at around the 8m 35s mark.

It will be interesting to see if it's the same version that's on the new CD.

The user, Cov11, recently uploaded several more videos of unreleased tracks by the likes of Brenda Holloway, Marvin Gaye, Ivy Jo, Eddie Holland & the Temptations.

Oh, and thanks Keith for the link to the Jimmy Hart version, as I'd never heard it before.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 04-23-2012 at 10:15 AM.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    L to R:

Billy Henderson, Chico Edwards, Pervis Jackson, Bobbie Smith, Henry Fambrough [[sp).
    Great, Thanks!

I know the sound's not brilliant, but I'm struggling to identify most of the singers on that youtube link...

Lucky lucky me - ?
    Gonna keep on tryin till I win your love - ?
    ? - Brenda Holloway
    Until you love someone - ?, but very similar to Lawrence Payton's treatment with the Tops
    One life we live - ?
    Tea shop in china town - Spinners

honest man Guest
    WOW some great tunes there maybe enough for a CFOM 5 Ha,love the Tempts track something about voodoo with Paul on lead, and Marvin;s touch of venus,any chance of these being out on cd, so frustrating.AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ,,,,,,,,,,,, Cheers ,oops thanks for the link,

Can't identify the first two .....interesting.
    Not Brenda Holloway but it's LA....Patrice Holloway ? I know the voice...
    Sounds like the 4 tops 45....can't hear a change
    Alt take of Originals album track...GGTL LP
    Spinners...Bobby Smith

Who is COV 11???????????? And where does he get these from???????????
    Last edited by snakepit; 04-23-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: change of mind

I'm in Ivy Hunter Heaven....Kent/Ace Please get onto this ....
    Check Out the Ivy Hunter link.....great photo with Chuck Jackson too. WE NEED these tracks on CD...
    Edwin Starr alt ?? Sounds like Edwin
    Only a lonely man would know ....Ivy
    To see the sun again........great U/I Ivy cut of Chuck Jackson album track
    Born to Love You.....Isleys cover of Tempts album track....U/I ???????????
    No Good without you Baby.....Isleys......U/I ????????
    U/I ............sounds like Ivy...nice

Stands to reason that there are LOTS of Ivy demos, covers, u/i tracks
    A CD of this man's work would be the ideal tribute to one of Motown's great talents....
    I'll always love you.........Ivy U/I cover of Spinners.....WOW
    Ask the Lonely.........say no more!! NOT TOMMY GOOD ha ha

Marvin Gaye

Two great U/I Brenda Holloway tracks on the BH link....
    Well Done COV 11

Check out a Marvin Gaye Version of "A Touch of Venus"...great finds COV 11

CFOM vol 5...............a must
    Last edited by snakepit; 04-23-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: more info

Unbelievable......check out the U/I Funk Bros link:
    Have to say I was disappointed with the EVD CD...when the likes of these are available...all apear to be Ivy Hunter productions ....I'm guessing

1. We'll find a way [[Chuck Jackson)
    2. Everlasting Love [[David Ruffin??)
    3. To See the sun again [[Chuck Jackson)
    4. You [[Marvin Gaye)
    5. Loving you is Sweeter Than ever ..........??? unknown version [[To me)...or is it MPG album track version?
    6. We've got a strong love on our side [[4 Tops)

COV 11 ....again, well done!!

Would it be Frank Wilson singing "Lucky Lucky Me" ?

Honestman: The Tempts' track is Witchcraft, released on the Emperors of Soul box set, but previously unreleased. a Mickey Stevenson=Robert Hamilton composition produced by Stevenson in 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Would it be Frank Wilson singing "Lucky Lucky Me" ?
    Sounds like Jimmy Ruffin to me, but a different vocal take to the one issued on 'A Cellarful' and 'The Ultimate Motown Collection' and sped up a bit.

[Edit] Just checked, and I have an MP3 of this version, and I've labeled it Jimmy Ruffin - Alternate Vocal.

Cheers

Paul

Lucky lucky me - JIMMY RUFFIN
    Gonna keep on tryin till I win your love - SPINNERS
    PATRICE HOLLOWAY - LOVE WALKED IN - IT'S NOT Brenda Holloway
    LAWRENCE PAYTON - Until you love someone - ?, but very similar to Lawrence Payton's treatment with the Tops
    THE ORIGINALS - One life we live - ?
    SPINNERS Tea shop in china town - Spinners

Ahem!

How many more are there?

There is supposed to be a version by Frank and I read somewhere that there is a version of "Gonna Keep on Tryin` Til I Win Your Love" by G.C. Cameron.

These are all VERY muddy, and as far as the ones I know are concerned, somewhat sped-up. "Tea House" seems to be in a very rudimentary state, lacking a lot of the overdubs that were added to both versions - or else they're so buried I can't hear them. However, from listening to the lead vocal there's no doubt that it's Version 2, the one that will be on the CD. But please, please don't regard this as a trailer for "Truly Yours"!

Many thanks, Paul.

The tracks on the 'Marvin Gaye unreleased' are somewhat sped-up too. And they're not all unreleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    There is supposed to be a version by Frank and I read somewhere that there is a version of "Gonna Keep on Tryin` Til I Win Your Love" by G.C. Cameron.
    I would suggest you check the source where you read that about Frank Wilson.

As regards GC Cameron. Who did you believe sings lead on the version mentioned here?

...well it ain't Bobbie Smith, John, if it really is the Spinners doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    ...well it ain't Bobbie Smith, John, if it really is the Spinners doing it.
    No dispute about that.

I started playing the tracks and it automatically went to the next one on a playlist.

I've now got Martha and Diana duetting [[!) on a competing version of "In My Lonely Room".