[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Dick Clark Dead

Dick Clark Dead

Rest in peace.

Seems it is true ..

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...-82/54390716/1

R.I.P. Mr Clark

Roger

He had an amazing life. If anyone hasn't read his autobiography, they should do so. It's very interesting. He was not nearly the "white bread" guy you might think, loved music and had lots of experiences which he wrote about directly and honestly from the early days of DJs including the famous Payola scandal. I highly recommend his book.

rip .miss you.grew up with AB

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    He had an amazing life. If anyone hasn't read his autobiography, they should do so. It's very interesting. He was not nearly the "white bread" guy you might think, loved music and had lots of experiences which he wrote about directly and honestly from the early days of DJs including the famous Payola scandal. I highly recommend his book.
    Ken, in Dick's book did he talk at all about growing up in Mt. Vernon, NY or much about his days with AB when it was located in W. Philly at 69th & Market?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ken, in Dick's book did he talk at all about growing up in Mt. Vernon, NY or much about his days with AB when it was located in W. Philly at 69th & Market?
    I don't remember how much he wrote about growing up in NY, but he definitely wrote about AB's early days. I knew that AB had started in Philly but there was a lot about that show I didn't know which he goes into including the general craziness of the times.

I couldn't remember the name of it, so I had to look it up. It was "Rock, Roll and Remember." Really great book. Almost as good as "Dream Girl!" Like in Mary's book, there's much written about the gritty early years which to me are always the most interesting.

An extraordinary life. Such a great, talented, genuine man. I salute you Mr Clark.

I don't remember how much he wrote about growing up in NY, but he definitely wrote about AB's early days. I knew that AB had started in Philly but there was a lot about that show I didn't know which he goes into including the general craziness of the times.

I couldn't remember the name of it, so I had to look it up. It was "Rock, Roll and Remember." Really great book. Almost as good as "Dream Girl!" Like in Mary's book, there's much written about the gritty early years which to me are always the most interesting.
    Did you know that that old, original studio for AB in Philly was all boarded up and graffittied over by the time I moved to Philly in the 80's. It is right below the elevated platform for the 69th & Market train stop in W. Philadelphia. Speaking of Mary and Dick Clark, here is a shot from my personal collection. This is from August 1974 where Dick interviewed Mary for one of his TV Specials.

"Dick Clark Dead" Hmmmm...I think you could have created a better thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Did you know that that old, original studio for AB in Philly was all boarded up and graffittied over by the time I moved to Philly in the 80's. It is right below the elevated platform for the 69th & Market train stop in W. Philadelphia. Speaking of Mary and Dick Clark, here is a shot from my personal collection. This is from August 1974 where Dick interviewed Mary for one of his TV Specials.
    What a great photo. Thanks for posting it!

Mr. Dick Clark will be missed but he's in a better place now. Heaven is rejoicing tonight as Jesus welcomes a groundbreaking TV legend.

My heart is sad but happy he's free from pain. I don't think I have have wept like this Elvis and Marvin Gaye died.

God bless you Mr. Clark and thank you for the memories.

I am going to spend the rest of the evening in prayer and reflection.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Mr. Dick Clark will be missed but he's in a better place now. Heaven is rejoicing tonight as Jesus welcomes a groundbreaking TV legend.

My heart is sad but happy he's free from pain. I don't think I have have wept like this Elvis and Marvin Gaye died.

God bless you Mr. Clark and thank you for the memories.

I am going to spend the rest of the evening in prayer and reflection.

Roberta
    How gracious you are and how lucky he is to be in your prayers.

Statements from Diana, Berry, & Smokey...

"I was very sad to hear this news. We all felt Dick was always this handsome teenager, as we all got older, Dick remained a teenager. I will always appreciate what he did for me and for popular music. He presented Motown and The Supremes on tour with the Caravan of Stars and on American Bandstand where I got my start. Dick Clark was a pioneer, he was a music star maker, he was a legend and was my friend. He said that 'music is the soundtrack of your life.' Since I was 16, he was always a part of mine. My love and prayers go out to his family." — Diana Ross.

"I'm saddened and devastated over the loss of my dear friend, Dick Clark. We were friends for over 50 years. My thoughts and condolences go out to his family, especially his wonderful wife, Kari, who took such incredible care of him always. Dick was always there for me and Motown, even before there was a Motown. He was an entrepreneur, a visionary and a major force in changing pop culture and ultimately influencing integration. It happened first emotionally. Music can do that. He didn't do it from a soap box, he just did it. That's who he was. 'American Bandstand' was a platform for all artists. For me personally, he helped bring Motown into living rooms across America. Dick did everything with class, style and integrity. He was a true gentleman. His groundbreaking achievements in music and television ensure that his legacy will live on forever." — Motown founder Berry Gordy.

"I loved Dick Clark. He was so instrumental in my career as well as all the other Motown acts and so many others in the recording business. Good bye my friend, rest in peace." — Smokey Robinson.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/janet...k-clarks-death

"Michael Jackson came to me and said i want you to show our video..I said Michael we dont play videos on Bandstand why do you want me to play a video ? then I saw it and went Oh My god...."
    [[Dick on Bandstand in 1980)

"I would like to think in some small way I played a part in the Motown Legacy"
    [[Dick 1983)

..and he sure did..from those early Bus tours when he got right in the face of those red neck resturant owners in the south for their treatment of the Motown acts,he had to be separated from the hicks by cops as he threatened to have them shut down...a true american legend RIP Dick..

April 19, 2012 at 1:00 am
    Motown stars, Obama praise Dick Clark
    0Comments
    "I was very sad to hear this news. We all felt Dick was always this handsome teenager, as we all got older, Dick remained a teenager. I will always appreciate what he did for me and for popular music. He presented Motown and the Supremes on tour with the Caravan of Stars and on 'American Bandstand,' where I got my start. Dick Clark was a pioneer, he was a music star maker, he was a legend and was my friend. He said that 'music is the soundtrack of your life.' Since I was 16, he was always a part of mine. My love and prayers go out to his family." — Diana Ross

———

"Dick Clark changed the face of musical television. He was wonderful to many artists, including our family. We will miss him. God bless." — Janet Jackson tweeted

———

"This is a sad day. He was a dear friend, supporting me and my music for all of my years in the business. A great businessman and a true gentleman. An inspiration. My heart is so heavy now." — Barry Manilow posted on Facebook

———

"I loved Dick Clark. He was so instrumental in my career as well as all the other Motown acts and so many others in the recording business. Goodbye my friend, rest in peace." — Smokey Robinson

———

"His body of work and accomplishments are impressive but the quality that endeared him to me the most was his humility. All people were on a level playing field with Dick. He felt he was better than no one and because of that he was able to connect with everyone. He changed the way we understood music and television and was one of the most successful entrepreneurs in our business." — Suzanne Somers wrote on Facebook

———

"I'm one of the lucky people who can say that I knew Dick Clark personally. Dick produced almost every awards show I was on during the '80s, and he constantly encouraged me toward success. He will be missed by everyone — especially by those who knew him well." — Kenny Rogers

———

"Michelle and I are saddened to hear about the passing of Dick Clark. With 'American Bandstand,' he introduced decades worth of viewers to the music of our times. He reshaped the television landscape forever as a creative and innovative producer. And, of course, for 40 years, we welcomed him into our homes to ring in the New Year. But more important than his groundbreaking achievements was the way he made us feel — as young and vibrant and optimistic as he was. As we say a final 'so long' to Dick Clark, America's oldest teenager, our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends — which number far more than he knew." — President Barack Obama.

———

"I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life. … . When I joined his show in 2006, it was a dream come true to work with him every New Year's Eve for the last six years. He was smart, charming, funny and always a true gentleman. I learned a great deal from him, and I'll always be indebted to him for his faith and support of me." — Ryan Seacrest

———

"Only God is responsible for making more stars than Dick Clark ... I just want the world to know how much I loved him, how much I cared about him. He's been a part of everybody's life." — Tony Orlando.

———

"Rest in Peace my good friend Dick Clark. A pioneer who's mark on American culture will be felt forever." — Quincy Jones tweeted

———

"Dick Clark was a true pioneer who revolutionized the way we listened to and consumed music. Before 'American Idol,' 'X Factor' and 'The Voice,' even before MTV, it was 'American Bandstand,' which brought the most popular music of the day straight to the nation's living rooms. Many artists made their debut on the 'Bandstand' stage, and for generations he steadfastly welcomed millions of fans to his celebrations of the best of contemporary music. For me he ranks right up there with the giants of our business." — Clive Davis

———

"Dick Clark's profound contributions to music, television and popular culture will reverberate throughout time. R.I.P. Mr. American Bandstand." — music producer LA Reid tweeted

———

"I'm saddened and devastated over the loss of my dear friend, Dick Clark. We were friends for over 50 years. My thoughts and condolences go out to his family, especially his wonderful wife, Kari, who took such incredible care of him always…. Dick did everything with class, style and integrity. He was a true gentleman. His groundbreaking achievements in music and television ensure that his legacy will live on forever." — Motown founder Berry Gordy.

———

"Dick's understated yet omnipresent personality created a new media format. With an understated on-air presence, he made the kids and their music the stars of the show. His genius was in his ability to use the power of television to help define how American teenagers saw themselves. Dick Clark's 'American Bandstand' spread the gospel of American pop music and teenage style that transcended the regional boundaries of our country and united a youth culture that eventually spread its message throughout the entire world. With his passing, Dick Clark deserves to take his place at the top in the pantheon of popular culture icons." — John Oates of Hall & Oates

——

"You'll continue to be an inspiration to us all Dick Clark. Thanks for the amazing rockin years you were with us. You'll truly be missed." — The Jonas Brothers tweeted

———

"I considered Dick to be my dearest friend in this business, a friendship that has endured since 1958. He was there for every crisis of my life and there were many. Without Dick Clark there would have been no career because I was ready to abandon it. Dick was the most principled man I ever met in this business and treated everyone the same way, even if you were the little guy." — Connie Francis

———

"Times Square is considered the crossroads of the world in no small part because Dick Clark's New Year's Eve celebrations there were beamed across the globe. I remember one New Year's Eve, he and I stood in Times Square marveling about how much the area — and the city — had improved over the years. But Dick Clark never had to change — he was a great entertainer who stood the test of time. Generations of Americans grew up with Dick, and yet he seemed forever young. His spirit will always live on in Times Square, and in hearts of millions of New Yorkers." — New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg

———

"Very sad to hear about Dick Clark. What a great life. What a great career. Relevant until the end. He will be missed!" — Joan Rivers tweeted

———

"Dick Clark will be truly missed. We will carry on his legacy every New Year's Eve." — Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas

———

"Very saddened about the loss of Dick Clark. We hosted the very first Rockin' New Year's Eve; truly honored to have worked with him." — Three Dog Night tweeted

———

"I just always considered Dick a wonderful friend. He was always good and supportive of me, but every other musical performer I know of would say the same thing. I am just stunned because for my whole career Dick Clark has been a friend and sort of an anchor of all things musical. Careers grew because of Dick Clark. He is going to be sorely missed." — Pat Boone.

———

"Dick Clark was a great friend, true legend, & a master journalist. Nobody did what he did better. It was a pleasure to be in his company." — Larry King tweeted

———

"Just heard the news of Dick Clark. It was truly an honor to have worked with him, learn from him and to be able to call him a friend. He was a great man and an even better friend. The word legend is thrown around a lot, but it's never more appropriate than when used in describing Mr. Clark. He was a real inspiration & influence in my life. I will dearly miss my friend. Rest well DC.."— Mario Lopez said in a series of tweets

———

"REST IN PEACE to the DICK CLARK!! U were pioneer n a good man!! Thank u sir." — Snoop Dogg tweeted

———

"Dick Clark was such an institution and inspiration. Not ashamed to say I loved American bandstand when I was a kid!" — Katie Couric tweeted

———

"Back in the 1960's the pop culture catch-phrase was 'Never trust anyone over 30.' Dick Clark was trustworthy all the way home. Rock on Sir!" — Ann Wilson of Heart tweeted

———
    "Not 2 many people actually deserve the term "legend," Dick Clark embodied it & never lost his humility or humanity. We will miss him!" — Gloria Estefan tweeted

———

"With the passing of Dick Clark, we lost a real hero who had untold influence on both world culture and the art form we call rock and roll. Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993, Clark was a trendsetter who helped guide our tastes in music, dance and fashion for more than three decades. His show American Bandstand was instrumental in showing the world that rock and roll was here to stay." — Terry Stewart, president and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

———

"Dick Clark was an entertainment icon, bringing music into the homes of millions of Americans over his nearly 60-year career. His shows 'American Bandstand' and 'Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve' blazed new trails in pop music and became pivotal celebrations of music on television, spotlighting both established and emerging artists. Our deepest heartfelt sympathies go out to his family, friends, fans, and all who have enjoyed his great contributions to music and entertainment. He will be terribly missed, and his legacy will live on forever." — Neil Portnow, president and CEO of the Recording Academy

———

"Rest in peace dear Dick Clark. A legend in entertainment and a truly lovely man. What an honor to have known you." — Lisa Ling tweeted

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1sSgJtLr1

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    "Dick Clark Dead" Hmmmm...I think you could have created a better thread title.
    Seriously?

It's straight and to the point. Unlike many of the other elusive thread titles around here.

I swear, you people will bitch about anything.

Rest in peace, Mr. Clark.

rob- Thanks for posting all of the wonderful messages and tweets for Mr. Dick Clark.

What a legend he was. His love for music and musical artists was color-blind; very groundbreaking in the 50's and 60's. Many artists [[including the Supremes) owe much of their career to Dick Clark. Would the Supremes be the Supremes without the "Caravan of Stars" tour? Interesting thought. Look how many generations grew up with "American Bandstand". It gave my parents generation Connie Francis, Chubby Checker, Dion, Frankie Avalon, Fabian and Pat Boone. It gave my generation Madonna, Prince, Boy George and Cyndi Lauper. May his legacy continue through Dick Clark Productions.

How gracious you are and how lucky he is to be in your prayers.
    No kenneth, I am the lucky one. Thanks to Mr. Dick Clark i got to watch American Bandstand for 30 years. In fact we are all lucky, because all of us got to watch so many, many musical greats because of Mr. Dick Clark.He is now with his dear friend Mary Wells in Heaven.Thank you for the memories Mr. Clark.Roberta

Yesterday was a hard day. I found out about Dick Clark and I cried and cried. I grew up with him on television and used to love to watch them rate the songs. God has picked another flower for his bouquet in heaven. Rest in peace Mr. Clark and thank you for all the good times.

Then I found out my daughter joined some group called Wiccans. It scares me and made me sad. I am not judging but worry.

Diana Ross had nice things to say about Mr. Clark's passing. So far no word from Mary Wilson. I am sure she must be sad, too.

Penny

Maybe Mary Wilson hasn't been approached for a comment. I do know Dee Dee Sharp hasn't been, but would certainly
    give her regards as Dick Clark was very helpful in the launching of her career. She toured extensively with him and
    did his shows regularly--American Bandstand and Where The Action Is.
    There's just so very many people who can and will make a statement--not just entertainers, but anyone.

Again, we have lost a great American icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Yesterday was a hard day. I found out about Dick Clark and I cried and cried. I grew up with him on television and used to love to watch them rate the songs. God has picked another flower for his bouquet in heaven. Rest in peace Mr. Clark and thank you for all the good times.

Then I found out my daughter joined some group called Wiccans. It scares me and made me sad. I am not judging but worry.

Diana Ross had nice things to say about Mr. Clark's passing. So far no word from Mary Wilson. I am sure she must be sad, too.

Penny
    "God has picked another flower for his bouquet in heaven." What a lovely thing to say Penny.

Mr. Clark's passing has hit us all very hard. Watching him on TV was like seeing an old friend every week. His last few appearances on New Years Eve broke my heart. He was struggling with his speech but oh was he brave.

I cried and prayed most of last night and again this morning. This has hit me hard but knowing he is with our Lord and Savior brings me comfort.

"Then he heard a loud voice from heaven saying to him, "Come up here. And he went up to heaven in a cloud of white, where he found everlasting life."

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by BabyLuv64 View Post
    What a gracious thing to say. Thank you Miss Diane Ross.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    rob- Thanks for posting all of the wonderful messages and tweets for Mr. Dick Clark.

What a legend he was. His love for music and musical artists was color-blind; very groundbreaking in the 50's and 60's. Many artists [[including the Supremes) owe much of their career to Dick Clark. Would the Supremes be the Supremes without the "Caravan of Stars" tour? Interesting thought. Look how many generations grew up with "American Bandstand". It gave my parents generation Connie Francis, Chubby Checker, Dion, Frankie Avalon, Fabian and Pat Boone. It gave my generation Madonna, Prince, Boy George and Cyndi Lauper. May his legacy continue through Dick Clark Productions.
    Connie Francis never had a better friend than Dick Clark. Through all her bouts of mental illness, Mr. Clark was there. He was like a brother to Connie Francis.

As the good book of Proverbs states:

"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity"

Mr. Dick Clark loved at all times.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    What a gracious thing to say. Thank you Miss Diane Ross.

Roberta
    Wow, agreed, and Diane really looked fabulous. That dress is a killer.

Aint it too bad noone can ask florence Blonde Ballard for a caumeint aint it

Berry Gordy about Dick Clark

Ive been thinking about Clark all morning..I was going to do a radio interview on him but I dont know if I could properly express what I wanted to say about those bus tours and how vital the exposure on Bandstand was for black artists..Bandstand wasnt shown here in New Zealand so most people here have never heard of him..I was thinking about the term Berry always used of the "Motown family"..and it is a family and weve lost a member..a sad day.

Thanks for the pic Marv! Part of the fabric of my youth.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    What a lovely man Berry Gordy is and such a beautiful and heartfelt tribute.

God bless Mr. Gordy. I know Mr. Clark looked down and smiled when he heard Berry's words.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks for the pic Marv! Part of the fabric of my youth.
    You are most welcome Detmotownguy. I remember that television special when Mary and Dick Clark laughed and reminisced about that Caravan of Stars Tour, how the Supremes would stay up all night on the bus harmonizing and keeping Dick awake LOL! They showed clips from the "T.A.M.I." show and from "Where The Action Is?". I can't remember if he showed some of the "Farewell" concert during this particular special. It's been so long, since 1974 when I last saw it.

I see a report yesterday that he died a day after having prostate surgery; surgery is always risky but especially for heart patients.

Los Angeles TV station KTLA provides a glimpse into Dick Clark's memorial service [[Berry Gordy was there) --

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/dick...ervice-report/

What a nice thread. A real testament to Dick Clark and the many gifts he gave us. Well done, gang.

Yep Ralph! Dick Clark was our guy. He is one of the unique, rare people that brought everyone together at his party and everyone seemed to like him. We even took him for granted to be honest. He was not suppose to get old. He was not suppose to die. It was unthinkable to a nation full of teenagers from roughly 1956 to 87. He was the first adult that I remember that made the "stuff" I liked seem important. That the music I liked was not just a bunch of noise. You know what I mean.....

There used to be You Tube videos..

I can't find any videos any more, with Johnny and the Hurricanes, on American. I remember them well, from about 10 years ago.
    Name:  25 Years Dick Clark.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  90.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Worthles View Post
    I can't find any videos any more, with Johnny and the Hurricanes, on American. I remember them well, from about 10 years ago.
    Name:  25 Years Dick Clark.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  90.7 KB
    They were an excellent group and hometown favorites from TOLEDO!!!!!!