[REMOVE ADS]

The Band's Helm in 'final stages' of cancer battle

The Band's Helm in 'final stages' of cancer battle

The Associated Press
    WOODSTOCK, N.Y. - Levon Helm, a former member of The Band, is in the final stages of his long battle with cancer.

A message posted Tuesday on the 71-year-old musician's website by his family says "Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer."

Helm was diagnosed with throat cancer in 1998 and the illness reduced his voice to a whisper. But he still continued to sing on albums and at rollicking concerts at his Woodstock home.

Helm was a key member of The Band and lent his distinctive Southern voice to classics like "The Weight" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."

Original members of The Band were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994.

I'm sorry to hear this. I was always a fan of The Band and Helm in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this. I was always a fan of The Band and Helm in particular.
    I admired Levon Helm's performance in Coal Miner's Daughter as Loretta Lynn's father.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I admired Levon Helm's performance in Coal Miner's Daughter as Loretta Lynn's father.
    Well God bless him and when it's time, may the Good Lord take him home to glory where he'll be free from pain.

Now that you mention it I do recall him in Coal Miner's daughter. Mr. Helm, Tommy Lee Jones and Sissy Spacek were all fantastic in that movie. I remember being blown away by Sissy's singing in the movie. She sounded so much like Loretta.

I haven't seen it in years but it may be worth renting again.

Roberta

Levon also had a small[[but very funny) role and did the voice over for the film, The Right Stuff.
    Solid drummer. Go easy Mr. Helm.

I also saw him in some sort of railroad movie that was very good.