[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks for all the info and hard work, George! Can't wait to hear it....

RossHolloway Guest
    Thanks George Solomon for giving more details and background information on the Copa release. After reading it I promptly went over to Hippo-Select and pre-ordered this set. I'm sure I could have saved a few dollars if I had waited and picked up a copy from Amazon, but for this set I didn't want to have to wait. I'm really excited for this release. I know I've been one of the many fans who have been asking for an expanded/deluxe edition of the Copa album with the original recording without the studio overdubs and you all really do listen to the fans. I just find that incredible. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I saw in one of these posts that there's a 1967 Supremes/Copa show out there somewhere;
    might we be surprised with that someday from Hip-O?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I saw in one of these posts that there's a 1967 Supremes/Copa show out there somewhere;
    According to George Solomon, [[3 posts before yours)
    "And we hope to get out future unreleased live albums that show just how much they grew as performers in such a short amount of time!
    As always...thanks for the support and interest in these releases. We put a lot into them and it's nice to know that people care."

RossHolloway Guest
    Wasn't there also a Live album recorded at Lake Tahoe sometime around '65-66 that also got shelved?

I used to have a copy of the '67 Copa show. I wasn't really a big fan of it, it was basically the same show as the Talk of the Town except with a few extra songs thrown in [[You Can't Hurry Love, My Favorite Things, Let There Be Love) and the show was very rushed by this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    You must not have the 2000 "pink" boxed-set; it includes performances from the 1967 Copa engagement.

From Disc 2, as mentioned above:

Track/title/source

20. Somewhere [[Live At The Copa 1967)
    21. Group Introduction [[Live At The Copa 1967)
    22. You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You [[Live At The Copa 1967)

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    From Disc 2, as mentioned above:

Track/title/source

20. Somewhere [[Live At The Copa 1967)
    21. Group Introduction [[Live At The Copa 1967)
    22. You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You [[Live At The Copa 1967)
    The expanded edition of the Supreme's Sing Rogers and Hart also had at least one live track from the '67 Copa engagement as well. I think it was Let's Get Away From it All/Lady Is a Tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    The expanded edition of the Supreme's Sing Rogers and Hart also had at least one live track from the '67 Copa engagement as well. I think it was Let's Get Away From it All/Lady Is a Tramp.
    Yes RH! Thank you.

I do have the pink box set, but I'm interested in the entire show...

There's also the unreleased 1967 Roostertail album with Cindy which is basically the same show as the '67 Copa show but with "Reflections" added in. Both "You Keep Me Hangin' On" and "Reflections" were released on the bonus live disc with the 2000 pink box set.

RossHolloway Guest
    So am I correct in saying that these are the unreleased live recordings:

Live in Tahoe [[65/66)
    Live at the Roostertail 66 & 67
    Live at the Copa 67
    Farwell 70

Live in Tahoe [[65/66)
    Live at the Copa 67
    Farwell 70
    Let's not forget, "Talk of the Town!" I'd love to hear more live shows with the Jean led Supremes...leaving her always show-stopping solo in. She was just amazing.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    Let's not forget, "Talk of the Town!" I'd love to hear more live shows with the Jean led Supremes...leaving her always show-stopping solo in. She was just amazing.
    I seem to remember reading that there were no other Motown/Universal owned live concert recordings of the 70's Supreme's besides the Live in Japan album.

smark21 Guest
    posted in wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    And we hope to get out future unreleased live albums that show just how much they grew as performers in such a short amount of time!
    I'm very much looking forward to the Copa Expanded Edition. It's one of my favorite albums and covers.

I also enjoy Talk Of The Town. Farewell has its' moments. However, not sure I'm interested in other LIVE albums with the same songs and arrangements despite how much they grew as performers.

I would prefer another copy of Baby Love rather than more versions of Somewhere or Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You.

I am hoping to hear some leads by Flo and Mary on "Enjoy Yourself" and some funny stage patter from The Supremes.

many of us would like as many different 'live' albums as they're willing to sell us..and "Baby Love" will be on all of them..just as people collect numerous 'live' albums from Beatles, Stones, Springsteen, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin, etc..bring it ON!

Live in Tahoe [[65/66)
    Live at the Copa 67
    Farwell 70

Well, "Farewell" was a released LP...or maybe there's a different version that you mean?

Deke Richards once posted on here about the Farewell album. From what he said the "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In" Medley was MUCH longer than what we hear. "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You" was also performed and recorded during the engagement, but not included on the album. Since Motown recorded several shows and picked the best for the album then it most likely that an alternate version of the Farewell show could be crafted together using different performances from the engagement.

The same could probably be said about the Talk of the Town engagement.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Well, "Farewell" was a released LP...or maybe there's a different version that you mean?
    Pretty much what Bradsupremes has stated. The Farewell album was a mix of multiple performances from their final engagement, I think there were some songs that were left off the album.

It's been confirmed several places that "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You" was the only song performed at the final three days of shows that were taped that didn't make the album. It had already had been released twice on Copa and Talk Of The Town anyway so I can see why Deke or the label didn't feel the need to include it. Deke provides some great insights on putting together the project in the link to this thread from the SD archives.....

http://faac.us/adf/messages/2/205653.html?1270651836

Thanks for the info!

I really wish the Temptations albums would start to get this kind of treatment, a bit overkill on just Supremems only. Live at the Copa & At London's Talk Of The Town are great albums that deserve it.

Has anyone recieved a shipping notice for this yet? Hipo lists it as shipping tomorrow. Was hoping it would be here for tomorrows Nightflight interviews with George and Andy.....

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Has anyone recieved a shipping notice for this yet? Hipo lists it as shipping tomorrow. Was hoping it would be here for tomorrows Nightflight interviews with George and Andy.....
    I just got back from having lunch and it was waiting on my desk for me! I can't wait to give it a listen!!!

Hi RossHolloway!

Just curious if you paid for rush shipping or just standard... Any info is much appreciated....

RossHolloway Guest
    Hi RossHolloway!

Just curious if you paid for rush shipping or just standard... Any info is much appreciated....
    Just standard shipping.

FYI there are also sound clips available on the Amazon UK site.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...copa&x=10&y=16

Thank you for the link to the sound clips. I love these alternate mixes. You can hear Mary and Flo loud and clear!

Can someone that has received their copy post a review or some comments. Thanks.

I have a question. There was a live full version of "Stop" on the 2000 Boxed set 5th disc that was noted as being from the Copa, but all of the vesrions on this set seem to be the speeded up shortened version. Where did the boxed set version come from?

soulballad, I think that version of Stop is from the Roostertail show in 1966.

Received my copy today - standard shipping.

I made sure I listened to the CDs before I logged onto Soulful Detroit. I didn't want any surprises spoiled for me. So therefore I will not give a review, although after only one listen I don't think that would be fair, anyway.

I listened to Disc 2 first. I liked what I heard, I was not disappointed at all. If you like the Copa album you will love this Expanded Edition.

I listened to the mono versions, next. I am now listening to the stereo album version.

The booklet has great pics, a couple I have never seen, and two essays. One essay describes preparation for the show and the other essay discusses the album, itself.

As I was listening to Disc 2 and hearing these vocals for the first time I felt like I was 16 all over again. I was wondering if this is what I was feeling back in 1965. I got three copies of this album for Christmas in 1965. I guess friends and family really knew I wanted this. It remains one of my favorite albums and covers.

Whatever became of the opening night Copa gowns with the feathers? Are they in Mary's collection in storage? I know they weren't being displayed during the London exhibition in 2008.

Whatever became of the opening night Copa gowns with the feathers? Are they in Mary's collection in storage? I know they weren't being displayed during the London exhibition in 2008.
    Mary has written that she doesn't know what happened to many of the gowns from the Flo era.

RossHolloway Guest
    The liner notes say that the girls hated the feathers, they were removed from the gowns but they wore the same gowns for their pic on their Christmas album later that year..

Wow! Gorgeous liners, photos, essay, and packaging! Can't wait to tear into this when I leave the office..... kudos to Andy, George, Kevin, and Harry for bringing this gem back!

the dresses arrived backstage literally 5 mins before the girls went on...Diana was already a nervous wreck and she said "someone better do something quick before I get real mad!"..Mary got all the gowns from 67 onwards but all the gowns before that have never been seen in public since the sixties over the years Diana has said she has Supremes gowns so maybe shes got them..

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    the dresses arrived backstage literally 5 mins before the girls went on...Diana was already a nervous wreck and she said "someone better do something quick before I get real mad!"..Mary got all the gowns from 67 onwards but all the gowns before that have never been seen in public since the sixties over the years Diana has said she has Supremes gowns so maybe shes got them..
    That's not quite true Nomis...a few years back, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC had a rock and roll clothing exhibit and the gowns they wore on Ed Sullivan to sing My World Is Empty Without You were on display...in great shape! All 3 of them!

I'm hearing a few bars of WDOLG right after the Sam Cook medley on disc two right before they start "You're Nobody" and right after You're Nobody. It's cool that the band incorporated something from the group in their outro.
    Last edited by soulballad; 05-16-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulballad View Post
    I'm hearing a few bars of WDOLG right after the Sam Cook medley on disc two right before they start "You're Nobody" and right after You're Nobody. It's cool that the band incorporated something from the group in their outro.
    Those few bars are heard after the opening introduction on Disc 2 as well. I gather it gave the girls time to reach the stage.
    Last edited by reese; 05-16-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Flo's lead was never cut - she never learned it. People was not in the original Copa show - but after they were a success, it was added back in - with Flo on lead as always. Any author claiming otherwise was lying. Mary also lied about The Andantes not being used until after Flo left and that Motown did it to get the public used to hearing "only Diane." The truth is the public had been hearing The Andantes since early 1965 and no one was the wiser. I don't know why MAry had to make up lies like this - it caused her to lose credibility among fans and in the industry that knew better.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    so the question is will the version of "enjoy yourself" feature, Mary and Flo doing a lead on the copa cd or is Flo's lead cut too, I was disappointed that "People" was omitted from the set, but hey this is the show I wanted to see but was too young, at the time and my copa cd is not up to par so I will be purchasing this. Maybe we will get some surprises on some of these tracks that will be rewarding especially Your Nobody till Somebody loves You".

I believe the Live In Tahoe was a typo in one of the various Motown Discographies released. i believe that was a Billy Eckstine set. not the Sups

Live in Tahoe [[65/66)
    Live at the Copa 67
    Farwell 70

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Flo's lead was never cut - she never learned it. People was not in the original Copa show - but after they were a success, it was added back in - with Flo on lead as always. Any author claiming otherwise was lying. Mary also lied about The Andantes not being used until after Flo left and that Motown did it to get the public used to hearing "only Diane." The truth is the public had been hearing The Andantes since early 1965 and no one was the wiser. I don't know why MAry had to make up lies like this - it caused her to lose credibility among fans and in the industry that knew better.

Mary Wilson was adrift in the 80's, I'm sure she'd undo a lot of things if she could go back in time... from "Let Me Go The Right Way" and the early singles it was clear that Ross was the designated lead singer where singles releases were concerned, just as Smokey was with the Miracles, Martha was with The Vandellas, Gladys with The Pips, etc..
    all the other stuff sort of fed off itself after Ballard's sad demise... early on ,Berry Gordy designated Ross as the voice of The Supremes, and, by the late 60's, the voice of Motown [[ask Marvin Gaye or Gladys Knight, both of whom were disgruntled over this turn of events..)
    Mary Wilson is a great star and a survivor,she deserves nothing but good things, but as many times as people get a kick out of saying 'diane' over and over, she is and remains The queen Of Motown, that little diane earl girl, all Hail The Queen![[or don't,it doesn't change a thing..)
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 05-16-2012 at 09:34 PM.

That massive success breeds tremendous jealousy.............as it has for Beyonce, Madonna, Whitney, the Beatles, U2, Mick Jagger, Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift.

When the success happens to females or a member of any kind of minority, the jealousy is intensified..........as we've seen on SD quite regularly.

got my copy of SUPREMES AT THE COPA and it sounds great.like the extra photos. off tomorrow and will have a supremes live event with my bose. love the extras.

At The Copa is £9.00 on the UK HMV website.