[REMOVE ADS]

Hearing the right song at the right time

Ever hear the perfect song at the perfect time? Give me your list.

Today as I was driving to work, I was tired and wished I had the day off, it's been a long week. I'm listening to the radio, weary, about 100 yards from my work place when "That's the Way of the World" by Earth, Wind and Fire comes on. The relaxing horns and vocals was just what I needed. A smile formed and I knew it was going to be a good day ... and it was.

[[I was a couple minutes late for work, had to listen to the entire song in the parking lot. :>)

My wife sent me out to the grocery store one Friday night when I was just settling into an NBA game. I kind of grumbled, turned on the radio which was on a sports channel [[I don't like 90% of new music and we don't have a decent oldies station here anymore). They weren't talking about anything that I was interested in, so I hit the CD button and the first song that came on was "Let's Go Crazy". I cannot listen to that song played quietly, so I turned it up and bobbed my head. If there is a perfect song for a Friday night, that's a perfect Friday jam. Oddly, I have never been a big Prince fan, but dang if he didn't get that one right.

theres been a few moments in my life when Ive heard a song for the first time and everything has stopped,usually because it sounded like nothing else I had ever heard..the first time I heard Tracy Chapmans "Fast car" I was blown away..commercial radio just didnt play anything like it..it was so simplistic and melodic and spoke of social issues at a time when the airwaves were awash with the likes of Banarama and Debbie Gibson..I remember working in a record shop in London and someone played Underworlds "Born Slippy" in 1995..I new it would change the direction of dance music instantly...the synth breakdown was like nothing I had ever heard..and I was transfixed watching "Romeo and Juliet" and Desree performed "Im Kissing You" her singing with that lone piano and haunting strings left me spellbound..I live for those moments when I hear something magical...

It works both ways as far as being uplifting or deflating. Sometime around '83 or '84, we were caught in what had to be the longest winter ever. After yet another heavy snowstorm, I was in the basement when I put on "One of Those Summers" by George Clinton's P-Funk All-Stars. That remains one of my favorite songs to this day, but to hear something that put me in the mind of going out and enjoying my favorite season during the dredges of winter nearly put me into a depression. Normally, music lifts me up, especially my favorite songs. But that took the wind out of my sails.

Rodney Jerkins stark and simplistic synth work on Whitneys "Its Not Right But Its Ok" was another speacil moment..he broke convention and left the track production wise to the bare minium and let Houstons biting,angry vocal tell the story