[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Madonna's new album to have largest second week chart drop in history

I find this amazing. Can you imagine the sales records singers can set if they include a CD along with their concert tickets on successful concert tours? More shenanigans by savvy marketers.

Madonna‘s “MDNA” album had the biggest second week drop in chart history last week, I am told. When all the numbers are in on Tuesday night, “MDNA” will have fallen from number 1 by 88%–from 359,000 copies in its first week to roughly 46,000 the second week. Wow. The first week’s sales, as I revealed exclusively [[and then the New York Post lifted it from us), most of Madonna’s first week sales were CDs that were included in the sale of concert tickets. That promotion artificially inflated Madonna’s numbers, putting her first before Lionel Richie and his “Tuskegee” album. In the second week, Richie fell only 47% and sold about 110,000 albums–which is normal. “Tuskegee” will now finish much higher than “MDNA.” I do think that all the people involved in the Madonna ticket-CD deal should apologize to Richie for denying him his rightful place at number 1, starting with Billboard and SoundScan. But Richie’s consolation is that he has a major hit, while “MDNA” is a total dud. So far, “MDNA” has not produced anything like a hit single either, no radio play or anything to provide organic promotion. But Madonna’s concert tour with Live Nation will be a big hit, so it’s not like we have to worry about her financial situation.

smark21 Guest
    Prince did the same thing a few years ago.

Maybe Madonna just isn't as relevant to today's music audience? Maybe the album just isn't that good? More hype than substance? Everybody who bought a copy has offered it up on the internet for free or copied it for friends?

Good research Smark.

So there isn't all that much to this CD after all.

IMO, it's not a bad album, but I am wondering about something: Madonna is in her 50s, and most...no...all of the artists in the top 10 are under 30. How significant is that?

Hugely significant.

In our day, we were not into listening to our parents favorites.............Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Doris Day.

The kids of today, generally speaking are not into listening to 50, 60 and 70 year olds.

smark21 Guest
    Between including the album with the purchase of a concert ticket and having a large devoted fan base, it’s no wonder Madonna debut at #1. But I don’t think her older fans are all that into current dance music trends that Madonna is trying to ride on MDNA and I don’t think younger dance music fans are all that interested in hearing a woman old enough to be their mother or grandmother sing about having sex. Hence the big drop off in week 2.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Hugely significant.

In our day, we were not into listening to our parents favorites.............Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Doris Day.

The kids of today, generally speaking are not into listening to 50, 60 and 70 year olds.
    There were differences. When we were kids, many hits were by those in their 40s. I don't know about you, but I also listened to what my parents did, and they listened to the new stuff we did.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Between including the album with the purchase of a concert ticket and having a large devoted fan base, it’s no wonder Madonna debut at #1. But I don’t think her older fans are all that into current dance music trends that Madonna is trying to ride on MDNA and I don’t think younger dance music fans are all that interested in hearing a woman old enough to be their mother or grandmother sing about having sex. Hence the big drop off in week 2.
    I think you may have nailed it!

I am into the current dance/pop, but i'm just not that much into the "Madonna" sound.

Well, it seems that somebody IS listening to Lionel Richie and "Tuskegee." Go Lionel!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    IMO, it's not a bad album, but I am wondering about something: Madonna is in her 50s, and most...no...all of the artists in the top 10 are under 30. How significant is that?
    I'm sure that if someone like Santana released an album like Supernatural right now, if would perform in similar fashion to what Madonna is doing. And he's way over 50.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Madonna has made some really great music but she's no lady. If you can recall that filthy book she published years ago about sex. It was disgusting.

Best to you,

Roberta

I'm with Roberta on Madonna. She is classless and a shameless publicity whore. She was already on my "meh" list, but when she admitted several years ago that she didn't let her daughter watch her shows because of the risque content, I found it to be the height of hypocrisy. I'm pretty sure there are legions of her fans who were as young or younger than her daughter at the time and I doubt that her shows were restricted based on age to keep them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I'm with Roberta on Madonna. She is classless and a shameless publicity whore. She was already on my "meh" list, but when she admitted several years ago that she didn't let her daughter watch her shows because of the risque content, I found it to be the height of hypocrisy. I'm pretty sure there are legions of her fans who were as young or younger than her daughter at the time and I doubt that her shows were restricted based on age to keep them out.
    Jerry, thanks for some extremely factual commentary.

The fall from #1 to #8 meant a drop from 359,000 copies to sales of 46,000 copies in week 2 ~ way down.

Madonna albums have performed like this on the charts for years..theres a few good songs on the album..but the cd booklet left me cold theres an abudance of photos of her in her bra and panties..she looks great but its a tad sad that she still feels she has to promote herself in this way..I saw a clip of her new video and it was the same ..bra and panties..sigh..my crowd at my dj gigs are going crazy for her track "Girl Gone Wild"..I was in a cd shop the other day and Warners have released her past 11 studio albums in one set..theres nothing like record labels...they let artists leave them disfastisfied with promotion and when they sign elsewhere the old label start promoting the back catalog with more vigour than when the artist recorded for them..I thought she was smart to sign with Interscope they have a good reputation but she really needs to keep her clothes on ! shes quickly becomming the Joan Collins of music..