[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Love Unlimited

Love Unlimited

Love Unlimited were a fantastic girl group of the 70's their
    1973 album Under the Influence of Love was huge unfortunately
    no big hits on the pop charts,
    however the singles Under the influence of love
    & It May be winder outside, were fashioned with a
    striking Supremes sound esp. the second one. They could have been a force in the 70's, because they hit just as the 3rd edition of Supremes were folding. Whatever happened to Gloaeden and her sister, I know Diane passed away. They had some fabulous choregoraphy, i caught their act on soul train yesterday, Barry White was quite proud of his protegees, and was married to the lead singer.

Franjoy

I'm a big fan of Love Unlimited too and their TV performances are rather hard to find. But I've now seen a few which I hadn't seen before so thank you for the heads up.

Have you seen that DVD Barry White Story? Glodean was in it looking good. Unfortunately, the DVD story gets a bit gloomy towards the end and I came away from it feeling quite upset. We talked about this on SDF a few years back and it seems a few people felt the same way.

bayoumountainmotwn I hope i spelled your name right
    yesterday they did a whole series on Soul Train and
    last night around 1am barry white and love unlimited were on
    probably early 1973 Barry White performed "Never gonna give you up" and then love unlimited came on and did utiol and imbwo
    outfits and choregoraphy matched perfectly. I played their music to many lost and new loves of my life back in the early 70's The In Heat album and Back to Love are also great. I will look up the Barry White story and see if i can purchase it. I wonder what Gloaeden is up to these days, she certainly is a good vocalist who is capable of selling some tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwSQp...feature=topics Barry and Glodean. What a Maestro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t24nY2CgciE Loves Theme with lyrics and the ladies, Barry and LUOrchestra on Soul Train--great quality.

thank you luke for sharing the love unlimtd video on soul train, very clear and it was rare watching love unlimtd but boy they had talent, i remember the lyrical versio of Love's Theme from the In Heat album which i still have, i may pull it out tonite and reminise. the other clip i saw last nite they did the two songs from the under the influence album in the winter of 73..do you know what gloedean is doing today.

franjoy--there is also a great clip on you tube of Barry directing LUOrchestra and the ladies seated in the back singing Loves Theme-in Mexico I believe.

I believe Linda got married and moved to Europe. There was a JET magazine article back in the 80s when the family threw a birthday party for Barry. One of the big surprises was a visit from Linda.

She subsequently died of cancer.

I thought Diane Taylor passed away from cancer? Did Linda pass away, too? Yikes!

Nice to see a post on this very underrated group,i've always felt that barry should have written more for the ladies..[move me no mountains]is a great soul classic.

Sorry--it was only Diane. I mixed them up.

I remember "I Belong To You" as being their biggest 45 HIT. I'll have to look it up in my charts book but I know "Under The Influence..."LP & "In Heat" Lp sold well."Walkin in The Rain[[With the One I Love) 45 was probably their 2nd biggest 45 hit & their first. Their touring bill musta been huge with all the muscians. When I saw them LIVE in 74/75, it was first the orchestra,then Love Unlimited & then the star Barry White.Great show for the price.

In Holland their biggest hit was I'm So Glad That I'm A Woman, it reached no.2 in the Top 40 in 1979!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    In Holland their biggest hit was I'm So Glad That I'm A Woman, it reached no.2 in the Top 40 in 1979!
    Interesting snippet of info there jack020, in Britain their biggest hit was "It May Be Winter Outside", which reached #11 in 1975. It still gets a lot of "seasonal" play here as a lot of people seem to think that it is a "Christmas" song ...

Their only other U.K. chart hit was "Walking In The Rain With The One I Love" which got to #14 in 1972,mind you the U.K. 45 was edited down for "radio play" and most of the instrumental intro and outro was missing. As soon as I realised that I bought an imported U.S. 45 from the Contempo record shop in London ..

Roger

http://beeldbank.nationaalarchief.nl...y White?lang=n

In 1974 Barry, Love Unlimited and the Orchestra performed at the Grand Gala du Disque in Holland [[our annual Grammies night)
    It was broadcasted on radio and tv. I still have the cassette recording of their performances.

Not sure if this clip is from that show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naAyh9DKRso

The girls at Top Pop same year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOW-shJrPKA

Last edited by jack020; 04-13-2012 at 02:35 AM.

well, I was surprised when I looked up their chart entries....only 2 real hits "Walkin In The Rain With The One I Love" 03/25/1972 #6 R& B, #14 Hot 100, sold a million got a Gold Record, "I Belong To You" 11/09/1974 #1 R & B, #27 Hot 100...."Oh Love, Well We Finally Made It" 07/14/1973 #70 R & B,#101 Hot 100, "It May Be Winter Outside" 12/01/1973 #35 R & B, #83 Hot 100, "Under The Influence of Love"04/06/1974 #70 R & B, #76 Hot 100 [[I thought that was a hit! Musta just got alot of disco play) When they went with Unlimited Gold[[Barry Whites own label) their biggest hit out of 4 releases was in 1979 with "High Steppin, Hip Dressin Fella"lower part of the R & B chart. I know the Under the Influence of Love" LP sold & the In Heat LP sold BUT I don't know how much, seems like all my friends at that time had those 2 LPs.

It would nice if someone uploaded to youtube or dailymotion any footage of these girls singing something besides the usual played big hits. I'd kill to see Glodean singing He's All I Got or Share A Little Love In Your Heart....

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    well, I was surprised when I looked up their chart entries....only 2 real hits "Walkin In The Rain With The One I Love" 03/25/1972 #6 R& B, #14 Hot 100, sold a million got a Gold Record, "I Belong To You" 11/09/1974 #1 R & B, #27 Hot 100...."Oh Love, Well We Finally Made It" 07/14/1973 #70 R & B,#101 Hot 100, "It May Be Winter Outside" 12/01/1973 #35 R & B, #83 Hot 100, "Under The Influence of Love"04/06/1974 #70 R & B, #76 Hot 100 [[I thought that was a hit! Musta just got alot of disco play) When they went with Unlimited Gold[[Barry Whites own label) their biggest hit out of 4 releases was in 1979 with "High Steppin, Hip Dressin Fella"lower part of the R & B chart. I know the Under the Influence of Love" LP sold & the In Heat LP sold BUT I don't know how much, seems like all my friends at that time had those 2 LPs.
    Motony .. you've had me reaching for my reference books ... Here is the L.P. info ..

On the Billboard top Pop Albums chart "Under The Influence" reached #3 and was awarded a gold disc ..
    "In Heat" reached #85. Two other of their L.P.s made the list .. "Love Unlimited" reached #151 and "He's All I Got" got to #192.

R&B wise the Billboard peak positions of their L.P.s were as follows ..

"Love Unlimited" #19
    "Under the Influence" #3
    "In Heat" #15
    "He's All I've Got" #51
    Love Is Back #70

Roger

Love Unlimited was a great group and Barry White was genius in his productions! There was so much competition at that time [[the early 70's) that it made it quite difficult for many of even best groups then to survive with success into the 80's. Thankfully we have the recordings and videotapes.

I love this song by them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM4P9fXbChU