[REMOVE ADS]

Why But Used 78's / 45's in 1960

..... SORRY THE TITLE SHOULD READ ..... Why BUY Used 78's / 45's in 1960 .............
    I know that in the 70's, unsold stock & used 45's were being bought up to be recycled to make new records [[due to the oil crisis / vinyl shortage).
    BUT .... as far back as the late 50's / early 60's, US companies were placing ads saying they would buy up old used 78's / 45's. They weren't trying to attract answers from your everyday 'Joes' but were trying to buy in bulk from 'trade' people [[jukebox chains perhaps).
    What were they wanting these old used records for as to my knowledge no such stock ever turned up in big trade warehouses [[they bought unsold stock in bulk, not used items).
    I guess in the case of Sam Goody's [[see ad) which went on to become a big NY area discount retailer, they could have been selling such stock in their stores as cut-out type heavily discounted records but I have no actual knowledge that this is what they did way back then.
    Attachment 4715
    Last edited by jsmith; 04-04-2012 at 07:40 PM.

You should be able to fix the thread title yourself.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  21.1 KB
    Sam Goody used to own record shops. So, I'd guess he wanted them for re-sale rather than melting down.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 303
    Sam Goody used to own record shops. So, I'd guess he wanted them for re-sale rather than melting down.
    I remember Sam Goody's very well.

Robb, that's what I stated [["Sam Goody's which went on to become a big NY area discount retailer").
    ... So can anyone actually confirm that Sam Goody wanted used records [[ex jukebox, etc) to sell on to retail customers ?
    I'd have guessed there were more than enough cheap 'unused' singles about in trade warehouses for them to more easily source stock that way rather than by placing ads to find used [[thrashed) records !!!!!

Views: 227
    A lot of record shops sold used records. A lot of them bought large stocks of used juke box records from juke box distributors. Jane Hill's House of Records in Santa Monica [[L.A.) California is one that comes to mind. Woolworth's 10 cent sales had thousands of juke box records mixed in among the thousands of mint cut-out store stock and DJ issues.

I am not certain that I remember [[for sure) seeing used records at Sam Goody's, but I think they had discount record bins 2 or 3 and 4 for $1.00, that also contained choice used records. They were usually in halfway decent condition [[rather than being thrashed).

Cheers Robb. In 1970, I used to get 'booklets' from a big NY area warehouse. These contained lists of all the 45's they had for sale which included non-hit 45's & stuff they had in large quantities. You could order as individual 45's [[or as multiples) from 5c each [[oldish hit 45's & stuff by hit artists 45's were more usually 50c or 1$ each).
    However, you could buy obscure 45's by music genre [[i.e. you could ask for soul 45's) in large boxes [[tea-chests) and these worked out at about 1c per 45 -- you didn't know what you were getting though, you were buying blind & could get multiples of some titles.
    I was young & skint so could never afford the shipping costs to the UK of one of these boxes -- I always wonder what would have turned up had I had enough cash to order & ship one of them.
    So, if I could buy 45's at 1c each, what price could a BULK buyer get them at ??? Always made me wonder why any retail outlet would bother trying to find used / ex jukebox 45's !!!

Views: 220
    I didn't know about such offers. Otherwise I'd have bought thousands of them for 1 cent each, and started selling the duplicates like many of the other big collectors. Had I found out about that, my whole life might have gone a completely different direction. My life story would be very different. In a way, I think I am glad that I never saw that advert.