[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    But the new one with Mary did not work and was the end of the group.
    I think it worked, just on a different level. I just wish Cindy would have been utilized more out front the way Susaye was when she joined.

Cindys talents

Cindy is certainly not given the credit she rightfully deserves and her solo show was great could have used some improvements in some spots, but remember she had been out of the public eye since 1976, and put together a great show considering. There is a solo track from the High Energy that Cindy recorded called "Till the Boat Sails Away" someone played it for me before the Let Yourself Go set came out we were hoping it would be on there but it wasn't. Cindy held up the background in the 70's the way Flo did in the 60's and that says a lot, she even outsang Mary on some of those 60's tracks like
    I'll Set You Free, & "Keep an Eye from Love Child, "He's My Sunny Boy" from the same album, she also shined on some of the Funny Girl tracks esp "If a Girl Isn't Pretty". Someone should have paid attention to her talents cause the girl could blow. In the 70's her tracks on "Over and Over" and "Now The Bitter Now the Sweet" with Mary emerging from the background should have given her a solid lead on that album before she quit, and certainly when she returned on the Supremes 1975 album, she was also a great dancer, as that hipodrome show, she was always in sync with Mary on those dance routines throughout her career.

Besides being gorgeous, Cindy definitely had the moves and was arguably the best dancer of all the group members, and she did certainly have the pipes and should have been given the spotlight more often. Unfortunately, her voice was not distinctive in the way that the voices of other group members were. [[The same might be said of Lynda and, to a lesser extent, Scherrie. Technically great singers but lacking in ready identifiability.) It would be difficult for anyone but an aficionado to identify Cindy's voice out of the context of the group. [[If I had heard, say, "Dancing Room" and not known it was Cindy I wouldn't have been able to identify the singer.) To her lasting credit, however, she was the penultimate team player and a true pro, loved universally by fans, and the group always benefited from her presence.

I agree with everything said but certainly Mary Wilson was the best dancer in the group. Cindy was sometimes a little off and didnt have the rhythm Mary had.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    There is a solo track from the High Energy that Cindy recorded called "Till the Boat Sails Away" someone played it for me before the Let Yourself Go set came out we were hoping it would be on there but it wasn't.[/I]
    The reason why that song and Cindy's version of "You Keep Me Moving On" were not on the collection was that they were recorded demos done in the early 80's after she had left the Supremes and the group disbanded. According to Scherrie Payne, both she and Cindy did record leads on the song "High Energy," but the tapes were either erased or cannot be located. That would have been Cindy's only full lead she ever did with the Supremes.

And I agree with luke, I think Mary was the best dancer out of all of the ladies. Mary had a certain flow to her that made her dance moves look effortless. Diana was another great dancer, but she lacked the fluidity Mary had.

i thought those songs "you keep me movin on" and "till the boat sails away": was from a different era other than the 1976 high energy set. too bad they erased
    both cindy and scherrie's versions of "High Energy" that would have been cool to hear. Somehow they managed to salvage susaye's version "I'm gonna let my heart do the walking" which really sparks, seems like they had plans for Susaye's stature as a force or is that she insisted on singing leads.

and for the record "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" & "High Energy" were disco hits whether they were played on the radio or not they were big disco records
    just as Sylvester record "Mighty Real" was big on the disco chart it like "Walking" hit #39 and #40 on the pop charts but did much better on a disco chart and i know for a fact that both records did big business in the clubs in ny, san fransisco, and in Boston.

Did Andy say the Cindy High Energy is lost/erased?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Did Andy say the Cindy High Energy is lost/erased?
    Take a look in The Final Sessions booklet under "High Energy" and there's your answer.

For a first time solo outing this is not bad! People have to forget Cindy was always a background singer and although she may not have the power of a Sarah Dash or stage presence of a Nona Hendryx she has a voice. If you listen closely to her first two songs if given a vocal coach she would sound like [[and she sounds a little like) Phyllis Hyman. She had great background vocals with Mary on the Jean led singles and I can tell that if she had the steps she could pull it off being a great lead. Remember the Ed Sullivan appearances Cindy did well with those dance steps when she took over for Flo and she was a good study. I think this is an opportunity that could have been expanded upon.

smark21 Guest
    Cindy sang behind and in harmony with such distinct and talented singers as Patti LaBelle, Diana Ross, Jean Terrell, and Scherrie Payne. YOu got to have vocal chops to hang with all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Cindy sang behind and in harmony with such distinct and talented singers as Patti LaBelle, Diana Ross, Jean Terrell, and Scherrie Payne. YOu got to have vocal chops to hang with all of them.
    Totally agree! Sarah Dash once commented that Cindy's voice is "monotone." Kinda came off as a slight, to me, which was comical as I always preferred Cindy's sound to Sarah's.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I agree with everything said but certainly Mary Wilson was the best dancer in the group. Cindy was sometimes a little off and didnt have the rhythm Mary had.
    Mary Wilson was the best dancer in the group from day one until the end. Cindy Birdsong was great too.

I always favored Lynda as being the best dancer of the Supremes.

There is a version of cindy singing high energy for sure. Not sure if it was recorded during the high energy sessions or around the same time she recorded till the boat and you keep me moving on.

I found it together with the other two songs online. Was lucky that I uploaded two of the three on youtube but accidently ereased high energy. Someone probable still got the demo and needs to share!!!!! LOL :P

Have to say it didnt sound very good even though I'm a huge cindy fan.

Thanks TYK. No one seems to have it! You're the only one I know whose heard it!

It was avaible on one of these illegal homemade CD online. I think some people mentioned it on the old forum. Been looking for the site but it's not avaible anymore.

I found the songs on newsleecher but not sure if they are still there. It's been a while so they might been deleted for all I know.

Hi Marv:
    I agree....just look at any video and Mary has all the right moves. Do you remember a few years ago there were example on you tube of Cindy's version of a couple of cuts from the High Energy album. I am almost positive there were and we talked about it. Anyway, I am just getting caught up on things here after spending a few weeks watching whales from my house on the Maui hillside.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I always favored Lynda as being the best dancer of the Supremes.
    I agree marybrewster and Ms. Laurence was a stunningly beautiful addition to the Supremes IMO.

Regards,

Roberta

Sarah Dash voice was not or is not all that distinctive either. Nona & Patti were the voices. Just because you can hit the high notes don't make you a great distinctive singer, it just mean you have range to your vocals.

Love how you put that.

Refer to new thread for more info....

"Cindy at the Hippodrome. Here's what really happened..."