[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha & Clive Davis: TOGETHER AGAIN

Aretha Franklin Signs With ICM [[Exclusive)
    The singer will record a new album with veteran executive Clive Davis.

by Daniel Miller
    Name:  aretha_franklin.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  80.8 KB

Legendary soul singer Aretha Franklin has signed with ICM in all areas. She was previously with WME.

The Queen of Soul, an 18-time Grammy winner, has had 20 No. 1 hits on Billboard's R&B Singles Chart and 17 Top 10s on the Billboard Hot 100. Her hits include "Respect," "[[You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman," "Chain of Fools," "Who's Zoomin' Who" and "I Knew You Were Waiting [[for Me)."

The singer, who turned 70 last week, recently re-signed with Sony Music Entertainment and will record a new album with Clive Davis, who signed Franklin to his Arista Records in 1980. She had a career resurgence following the release of the album Jump to It in 1982.

Franklin was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987, the first woman to receive the honor. She also was the youngest-ever recipient of the Kennedy Center Honor in 1994.

She released her 38th studio album, A Woman Falling Out of Love, in May.

smark21 Guest
    Not sure that's a good thing--album will likely have duets and covers of Diane Warren power ballads.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Not sure that's a good thing--album will likely have duets and covers of Diane Warren power ballads.
    I really hope they do not go that route.

An 87 year old with a 70 year old! It may be a little late in the day, but who knows. What is ICM? And what was WME?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    An 87 year old with a 70 year old! It may be a little late in the day, but who knows. What is ICM? And what was WME?
    They are talent agencies.

ICM is International Creative Management.

WME is [[or was) the William Morris Agency. William Morris Agency merged with another agency a few years ago to become WME. Don't know what the E stands for , but probably the other agency with which it merged.

In an industry that caters to the young, it is nice to see seventy and eighty year olds that are still relevant and contributing.

Correct!

WME = William Morris Endeavor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Morris_Endeavor

I believe that Aretha's signing a recording contract with Sony was a good thing. She tried the personal label route with her Aretha Records, releasing her CD "A Woman Falling Out Of Love" but was dogged by bad luck. There was a pressing problem that went unnoticed [[!!!) and one track had quite a lengthy gap of silent space. The recording was initially only available at Walmart and when the problem discs were return, no one seemed to know what to do about the problem. A massive recall setback any chance for this recording to get initial buzz going for it. Personally I thought the record was quite good, but few hardcore Aretha fans could find the product for sale locally. Perhaps the demographic age group hungry for Aretha product are not website savy, but signing with an established label will give Aretha much easier access to the fans into her. A good move for all involved!

Is there an economical reason why so many veteran artists do "covers" projects? Why not seek out original material from up & coming/aspiring writers?

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by simplysupreme View Post
    Is there an economical reason why so many veteran artists do "covers" projects? Why not seek out original material from up & coming/aspiring writers?
    Perhaps because labels/producers think fans of veteran artists prefer to hear material they’re familiar with rather than new songs? Certainly the chart success of Lionel Ritchie’s new album proves this out. Though on the other hand, Madonna has yet to go the remake route and still trying to keep up with the contemporary trends in dance/pop music.

Perhaps because labels/producers think fans of veteran artists prefer to hear material they’re familiar with rather than new songs? Certainly the chart success of Lionel Ritchie’s new album proves this out. Though on the other hand, Madonna has yet to go the remake route and still trying to keep up with the contemporary trends in dance/pop music.
    It's like I've always said. People many times want what they had. It is a solid Marketing principle, hehehehehehe.......

Did Aretha produce her last cd by herself?

]

A few years ago, Donna Summer said when she met with executives to discuss the direction of her upcoming project, the first thing out of their mouths were, "Okay, what remakes would you like to record?" She replied, "I don't want to do a remakes album!" She said there was no doubt, in the executives' minds, that's what she would be doing. The project eventually became her "Crayons" CD.

So who released Aretha's last CD? Did it make the charts at all?

I went looking ~ no, the album never charted at all.

They tried to flog it through Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    So who released Aretha's last CD? Did it make the charts at all?
    It was released on her own label, Aretha's Records. It was a Walmart exclusive. It hit #15 R&B, #54 pop.

Thx Reese.

Hi!

It was my # 1 album last year.

Best regards
    Heikki