[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Movie locations

wrong thread

see following post.
    Last edited by blueskies; 04-01-2012 at 09:17 PM.

what post? i cant see anything,nothing but blueskies!

Tamla617

There's no stopping you tonight!

Must be a full moon...lolol

blueskies,bluemoon how many songs do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    what post? i cant see anything,nothing but blueskies!
    http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/c/cryinggame.html

OK.....I had a major 'senior moment'. I posted the wrong link, attempted to delete things and ended up with a hot mess. I'll try again.
    I'm fascinated with movie locations/sites. Been to a few here in the US. I found one on "The Crying Game" from the UK. I was wondering if movie locations there are popular tourist attractions as they seem to be here in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/c/cryinggame.html

OK.....I had a major 'senior moment'. I posted the wrong link, attempted to delete things and ended up with a hot mess. I'll try again.
    I'm fascinated with movie locations/sites. Been to a few here in the US. I found one on "The Crying Game" from the UK. I was wondering if movie locations there are popular tourist attractions as they seem to be here in the US?
    Interesting link that Blueskies .. I've been doing my family history in the past couple of years and some of my ancestors lived in Fournier Street, Spitalfields and Wilkes Street which leads off it, back in the 17th and 18th centuries. Not that I live too far away from there now .. occasionally I head off down there and call in the "Ten Bells" pub too .. I tell everyone I'm doing "family history research" which of course is just thinly veiled excuse for "going on a pub-crawl".

Of course much of Central London is just like one giant film set and countless movies have featured such places as Tower Bridge, The Millenium Dome and Trafalgar Square .. actually it can be quite amusing watching some of the car chases etc. as the action sometimes features places that are actually miles away from each other and the actors appear to be mysterious doubling back or teleporting from place to place!!

One set of films that has lots of people tracking down the locations here is the Harry Potter franchise, with tourists wandering around gawping at such places as Leadenhall Market and Kings Cross Railway Station .. at Kings Cross Station there used to be a shopping trolly sticking out of a wall so that people could take photographs of themselves at "Platform 9 3/4". They have been doing some work on the station recently and the trolly was removed .. I think it may be back now.

Roger

remains of the day 1993 anthony hopkins and emma thompson.alot of weston super mare. they were at the top of our road in an open top horse drawn carriage.shut the road.
    it was a bit weird because we'd just had the bbc filming in our flat for a week too.they shut the road for that aswell.the neighbors were not impressed!

Ok.....I offer my home town too...the underpass that leads to Chiswell Street was featured in a Kylie Minogue video. [[The only time it was ever cleaned!!!)

Does it count that the Young Apprentice was shot in my local market? As was the film "It's A Mad Mad Mad World" [[1963)

"The LadyKillers" was filmed at my dad's place of birth in Frederica Street, North London

http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

Wow....fascinating stories! Thanks for all the input. Some places really cash in on movies being filmed there. The Christmas Story house is very popular. Periodically, some of the stars show up for signings, etc. Would really like to visit where "Downton Abbey" is filmed [[Highclere Castle).....also Castle Howard where MANY things were filmed.

http://www.mrps.org/

I must say, the Mansfield Reformantory was the creepiest movie location I've ever visited. "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Air Force One" filmed here. On the tour I took, there was a former prisoner on the tour and gave some horrifying stories!

Near to where I live, Aylesbury was used extensively in the Stanley Kubrick film Clockwork Orange. I must admit, I rather liked Aylsebury as it was then - the new shopping centres of Hale Leys and Friars Square are somewhat lacking in my opinion.

A place I'd like to visit is the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego, California .. which was used as the "Hotel somewhere in Florida" in "Some Like It Hot" ..

This is a news item about the place featuring TONY CURTIS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1eWwhbbAI8

The hotel has been used in dozens of movies over the years, there is a rundown here ..

http://www.hoteldel.com/PressRelease...e.aspx?id=1370

Mind you .. it's not cheap .. I wonder if they would mind if I slept on the beach instead ...

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/del-...FS4NtAoduwiDbQ

Roger

There is a bridge over the Canal St Martin near Gare De L'Est in Paris which is used extensively, particularly French films. The road running alongside the canal is Rue Des Jemmapes which houses the former subject of the film "Hotel Du Nord" [[1938). It's now some kind of tourist attraction where you can eat.

http://www.rentmyhomeinparis.com/quartiers.php?q=33

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspurman View Post
    Near to where I live, Aylesbury was used extensively in the Stanley Kubrick film Clockwork Orange. I must admit, I rather liked Aylsebury as it was then - the new shopping centres of Hale Leys and Friars Square are somewhat lacking in my opinion.
    i was at RAF halton when the film was released.........then banned just about everywhere!i didnt see the film 'till about 4 years ago but i didnt recognise aylesbury in the film.i will watch it again now i know.is friar square shopping center been changed since the 70's?i remember it had a circular bit in the middle.and entered an alley past timpsons .more or less opposite the aylesbury duck pub/hotel!

Roger

Valentine's Park in Ilford was featured in a video shot of Itchycoo Park by the Small Faces.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Roger

Valentine's Park in Ilford was featured in a video shot of Itchycoo Park by the Small Faces.
    Maybe that is why a lot of the "locals" around here think that it is about the place. I believe the band was from nearby Manor Park and I've heard theories that the song was about the rather "wilder" Wanstead Flats, at the southern end of Epping Forest, and just north of Manor Park.

Roger

Well, you learn something every day Hotspurman ..

I thought most of "Clockwork Orange" was filmed in Thamesmead, in South East London, but checking this link I see Aylesbury gets a mention as well.

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/c/clockwork.html

There was a T.V. series last year called "Misfits" that was also filmed in Thamesmead.

http://www.bexleytimes.co.uk/news/ph...smead_1_899657

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Maybe that is why a lot of the "locals" around here think that it is about the place. I believe the band was from nearby Manor Park and I've heard theories that the song was about the rather "wilder" Wanstead Flats, at the southern end of Epping Forest, and just north of Manor Park.

Roger
    I saw it written in NME....referring to the lyrics..."feeding the ducks from a pond".

Wanstead Flats used to be is notorious for other reasons....which I wont go into here!

i was at RAF halton when the film was released.........then banned just about everywhere!i didnt see the film 'till about 4 years ago but i didnt recognise aylesbury in the film.i will watch it again now i know.is friar square shopping center been changed since the 70's?i remember it had a circular bit in the middle.and entered an alley past timpsons .more or less opposite the aylesbury duck pub/hotel!
    From what I gather, the film was shot behind what was Friars Club, although I've since read that the Aylesbury shots were dropped from the final cut! When I first moved into the area [[1980) Friars Square had a big market on a Saturday and we used to eat in the Wimpey bar in the middle. It looked like any other town centre from the 1960s, but it still had something of a distinctive feel, something I think the current town centre lacks. I live not too far from RAF Halton [[in Aston Clinton, famous for being one half of the Aston Martin brand name) and still play football there every Monday!

Do any of you from the UK know where "The Whisperers" [[with Edith Evans) was filmed?I believe the film is about 1967. Boy, was THAT atmospheric. It was in black and white and you really felt 'the grit', so to speak. I guess 'bleak' would be a good description! I've always been fascinated by the film and the location.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Do any of you from the UK know where "The Whisperers" [[with Edith Evans) was filmed?I believe the film is about 1967. Boy, was THAT atmospheric. It was in black and white and you really felt 'the grit', so to speak. I guess 'bleak' would be a good description! I've always been fascinated by the film and the location.
    According to this thread on britmovie.co.uk it was filmed in Oldham, which is a few miles to the north east of Manchester

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/fi...hisperers.html

I've found quite a long clip on youtube where she visits what looks to be a Carnegie Library ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8QR2oUOVTM

I'm not at all familiar with Oldham, but it seems that there was one in nearby Chadderton .. there is a picture of it in this article but I can't tell if it is the same as the building used in the film.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/ne...n-library-sold

Roger

From what I gather, the film was shot behind what was Friars Club, although I've since read that the Aylesbury shots were dropped from the final cut! When I first moved into the area [[1980) Friars Square had a big market on a Saturday and we used to eat in the Wimpey bar in the middle. It looked like any other town centre from the 1960s, but it still had something of a distinctive feel, something I think the current town centre lacks. I live not too far from RAF Halton [[in Aston Clinton, famous for being one half of the Aston Martin brand name) and still play football there every Monday!
    i remember a hall on friar square is that the friars club every time we went we got hassled by the locals who hated the RAF for taking all the women,so in the end we had to go with a bus load so we could out number them and be left alone.

lionel martin and the aston hill climb! glad you mentioned that.i lived in feltham,west london,where the astons were built until the year before we moved there.and havent you got some hills 'round there i've been up most of them,we had to run up with full packs and rifles!map reading exercises 'round weston turville i used to "escape" [[i was only 16-17 )to the rising sun pub.i went back there 18 months ago with my dad,who was there during the war [[44-47).is the pub a chinese now? it was on crossroads one of the roads lead up towards the camp on the tring road across a very small narrow bridge.
    you are in a very nice area to live i cant think of a better place on a summers day.as a raf camp i hated it!couldnt wait to get out to the real airforce,i went back for 6 months in 77.
    good thread this!
    Last edited by tamla617; 04-05-2012 at 02:14 PM.

According to this thread on britmovie.co.uk it was filmed in Oldham, which is a few miles to the north east of Manchester

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/fi...hisperers.html

I've found quite a long clip on youtube where she visits what looks to be a Carnegie Library ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8QR2oUOVTM

I'm not at all familiar with Oldham, but it seems that there was one in nearby Chadderton .. there is a picture of it in this article but I can't tell if it is the same as the building used in the film.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/ne...n-library-sold

Roger
    Thank you Roger for all the great pics/sites. Very interesting, indeed.

i lived near shepperton studios so we had alot of filming around all the time.we used to see cars all the time with camera crews strapped to the outside filming the occupants

haliford studios was next door to our school so we had cat weazle walking past in rags,climbing into his gleaming jag!

the b/w 50's/60's robin hood tv series was filmed behind a pub in upper haliford,sherwood forest complete with a huge castle all in the space of 3 or 4 football pitches.i saw friar tuck walking his 2 dogs across walton on thames bridge in his monk gear.nettlefold studios [[that made the tv series)was next to walton high street.now a shopping center.

dads army film has a bit where they are camped in tents next to a "hill" the hill is the side of the queen mary resevoir between staines and charlton/ashford middx.the river sequence is the river ash,that flows thru the studios out to the thames.

i watched some of the 6 wives of henry the 8th being filmed.it was a huge set,we sneaked thru' a back gate/farm lane,which was outside the studio then.its now part of the studio complex.

1979 film hanover square,harrison ford,christopher plummer...in 1971 i was in oxford for the weekend we went to woodstock to a "club" it wasnt a club it was in the town hall.we walked up and i said looks like a gestapo headquaters,well thats exactly what they used it for in the film complete with giant nazi flags hanging down the collumned facade.its a stones throw from winston churchill's birth place [[and grave)
    i watched the bombers taking off from the back garden i'm looking at a squadron of B25's and thinking i was cracking up.argueing about how are there that manyB25's flying.it wasnt 'till a couple of years later that this is what i'd been watching.a friend of mine had got a ride on one of the bombers while they were filming.a kept the whole thing a secret incase we tried to get on!

a useless film called "a smashing bird i used to know" was filmed at our school you can see some of us looking thru the windows and the science teacher [[Mr granger) and my bike in the racks!film was crap sunk without trace!

an eric sykes film "heavans above"i was about 4/5 we watched that being filmed near the BP site ashford in a gypsy caravan with loads of kids and some done in chertsey.the bp site exploded about a year later while they were conducting experiments our house shook,mum thought i'd jumped off my bed!

monty python's 1st tv series.alot was done around walton on thames.ministry of silly walks,the grumbies.the family that had set up a "frontroom on the high street" and the "horizontal mountain climbers" who were crawling down the road in walton and in full mountainering kit.

appointment in london b/w ww2 with dirk bogard filmed around our road and our local pub the goat.2 years before i was born and 12 yrs before we lived there!even has the queen mary resevoir in the background again.
    brief encounter remake with sophia loren and richard burton some was filmed at winchester station,caused a row when sophia went mad about the music from a pub jukebox.

633 squadron was filmed at [[raf)bovingdon hertfordshire.

Tamla617 .. surely "Dads Army" was filmed at Walmington on Sea ....

Some of the weirdest film locations I can think of are the ones used for "Full Metal Jacket" .. it was all filmed in England .. what was supposedly a U.S. airbase in Vietnam was shot on the site of an abandoned gas-works in Beckton, East London.

I used to quite frequently go down to the London City Airport [[very close to Beckton) and the buildings seen throughout the film were still there until about 10 years back.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/locations

Roger

i remember a hall on friar square is that the friars club every time we went we got hassled by the locals who hated the RAF for taking all the women,so in the end we had to go with a bus load so we could out number them and be left alone.

lionel martin and the aston hill climb! glad you mentioned that.i lived in feltham,west london,where the astons were built until the year before we moved there.and havent you got some hills 'round there i've been up most of them,we had to run up with full packs and rifles!map reading exercises 'round weston turville i used to "escape" [[i was only 16-17 )to the rising sun pub.i went back there 18 months ago with my dad,who was there during the war [[44-47).is the pub a chinese now? it was on crossroads one of the roads lead up towards the camp on the tring road across a very small narrow bridge.
    you are in a very nice area to live i cant think of a better place on a summers day.as a raf camp i hated it!couldnt wait to get out to the real airforce,i went back for 6 months in 77.
    good thread this!
    The Rising Sun [[where I spent many a drunken evening) became an Indian restaurant a good few years ago called Shaad - we locals used to say it stood for Sh1t Hole and A Dump. It closed and then became a Thai restaurant, which is only slightly better. Having also lost the top Rothschild Arms [[on the corner of the road to Buckland) and The Bulls Head, public houses are getting somewhat thin on the ground - we've basically just got The Partridge Arms, The Oak and the bottom Rothschild Arms [[on the road to Weston Turville) left, although the Bell is also still around, although more usually used for food.

As you will know from your days at Halton, one of the highlights of the year is the Halton Air Show - I usually sit in the park at Aston Clinton as the view is exceptional - you can imagine the gasps as a Spitfire or Hurricane flies overhead, although the other year the ground literally shook as a Vulcan bomber flew over. The last couple of years we've also had displays from biplanes - Tiger Moths and the such. I'm not actually 'into' planes as such, but the sense of majesty as these planes fly overhead is something I can relate to. Makes you proud to be British, I can tell you!

I forgot to mention that Aston Clinton is also where Hotel Babylon is filmed, although there are no external shots of the village. Not too far away from us is Ashridge, where Sleepy Hollow, Jonathan Creek and Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire were filmed. Ashridge House was also used in Dirty Dozen. Similarly close is Aldbury, which has featured in Bridget Jones, Dirty Dozen [[again) and numerous television programmes. With all this film activity, I might get the Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire county councils to instigate a Walk of Fame...

Tamla617 .. surely "Dads Army" was filmed at Walmington on Sea ....

Some of the weirdest film locations I can think of are the ones used for "Full Metal Jacket" .. it was all filmed in England .. what was supposedly a U.S. airbase in Vietnam was shot on the site of an abandoned gas-works in Beckton, East London.

I used to quite frequently go down to the London City Airport [[very close to Beckton) and the buildings seen throughout the film were still there until about 10 years back.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/locations

Roger
    they filmed most of dads army tv series in the thetford area norfolk.the cast went there on location year after year.for some reason the film was done around surrey.

raf [[now army and closing shortly))bassingborne, cambidge,you can see the pre war airfield expansion scheme hangars in the background,was used for the "full metal jacket" training camp where they did their basic training.

The Rising Sun [[where I spent many a drunken evening) became an Indian restaurant a good few years ago called Shaad - we locals used to say it stood for Sh1t Hole and A Dump. It closed and then became a Thai restaurant, which is only slightly better. Having also lost the top Rothschild Arms [[on the corner of the road to Buckland) and The Bulls Head, public houses are getting somewhat thin on the ground - we've basically just got The Partridge Arms, The Oak and the bottom Rothschild Arms [[on the road to Weston Turville) left, although the Bell is also still around, although more usually used for food.

As you will know from your days at Halton, one of the highlights of the year is the Halton Air Show - I usually sit in the park at Aston Clinton as the view is exceptional - you can imagine the gasps as a Spitfire or Hurricane flies overhead, although the other year the ground literally shook as a Vulcan bomber flew over. The last couple of years we've also had displays from biplanes - Tiger Moths and the such. I'm not actually 'into' planes as such, but the sense of majesty as these planes fly overhead is something I can relate to. Makes you proud to be British, I can tell you!
    now you've bought some memories back!some of those pub names i'd forgotten about.is the marquis of granby still on the aylesbury wendover road?

the vulcan.............what a plane,hard to believe its a 1940's design!
    Last edited by tamla617; 04-06-2012 at 06:45 PM.